What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Waterproof tarpaulins

A

Anonymous

I'm not fortunate enought to be able to house a car in my miniscule garage :thumbdown: so am going to buy a tarpaulin for the expected new arrival (and present car, of course). Any recommendations or ones to avoid? :idea: Are the ones with elasticated fittings better than loose? Bear in mind I'm a 5'2" female :!: :lol: I read on Halford's website last night about one where they advised NOT putting onto cars painted within the last 3 months. Would that apply to brand new cars? :helpme:

A

Anonymous

I'v heard a lot of horror storys about car covers scratching the paint etc I would be worried about using one on my car anyway

A

Anonymous

GEEGEE123 said:
I'v heard a lot of horror storys about car covers scratching the paint etc I would be worried about using one on my car anyway

I've not heard "horror storys"...but i have heard a similar thing. Not a good idea to put these covers on cars as they have a habbit of scratching the paintwork, particularly after they've been used a while. They tend to accumulate bits of grit on the "inside" (unavoidable when your taken them off/putting them on) which rub against your nice new car. I don't think it matters how careful you are either.

A

Anonymous

Thanks, guys. I see some are prepared with non-scratch material on inside so that might reduce the risk. The house next to me has birds regularly perched on their aerials and I'm forever having to clean off the poop so I suppose my cover would get equally pooped-on and it'd be easier to clean the car. I had also been thinking of it as a deterent to thieves...if they couldn't see it they wouldn't covet it!

A

Anonymous

BangorRCZ said:
Thanks, guys. I see some are prepared with non-scratch material on inside so that might reduce the risk. The house next to me has birds regularly perched on their aerials and I'm forever having to clean off the poop so I suppose my cover would get equally pooped-on and it'd be easier to clean the car. I had also been thinking of it as a deterent to thieves...if they couldn't see it they wouldn't covet it!

Have a look at this site, they look reasonably good, especially the stormforce version. http://www.car-cover-uk.com/

A

Anonymous

hi i use a car cover on my 307cc and will do on my new rcz in a few weeks and have not experienced a problem. i would recommend you do anything other then let birds poop on you car as it can leave permanent pain damage. this is what happened to me prior to using the cover.

A

Anonymous

BangorRCZ said:
mikepy said:
Have a look at this site, they look reasonably good, especially the stormforce version. http://www.car-cover-uk.com/
Hi Mikepy, thanks for the link. I agree the stormforce version sounds the business. I've sent a request for a quote. :thumbup:
Let us know what sort of quote you get, I may be interested as well.

A

Anonymous

yes, if you get a quote for a tailor made cover then let us know. i will need one!

FGRob

Reaction score
I've used several covers on my Spitfire when I use to store it at home, I started with a Halfords one, that lasted about 1 month, I then progressed onto a Monsoon, which did the job, but again only lasted about 3 months before the wind got hold of it and ripped the securing ties off, it did not mark the car, but then again I did not pull it off that often as the car was stored and not used.

In the end I went for a Carcoon, works very well but not really for a daily driver, as they are zipped together plus you need a power supply and you can't use one in the street. That last 4 years but that rotted in the end, so I've now got my little girl nicely tucked up in an air-conditioned storage facility covered with one of the Sahara covers. :thumbup:

I think you biggest problem is if your car is a daily driver it's getting into a routine of covering the car, if it's wet then it's a no no, so I think I would be looking at washing it off during the week and if not used over the weekend then I would consider covering it, to be honest my RCZ sits outside and will do for as long as I own it, I just keep an eye on the bird crap and clean it off as soon as I see it, if you have a good wax on her it will help.

Here's what a Carcoon looks like in the fully blown up position :lol: :lol: - they do a fantastic job, they even dry the car if put away wet, the down side is they will cost you a good £700 to buy :wtf: :wave:

Just my little experience of covers - please don't use a Tarpaulin :eusa-whistle:

Rob.

A

Anonymous

quote "Just my little experience of covers - please don't use a Tarpaulin

Rob." quote

Thanks, Rob. That inflated cover looks very impressive but as you point out, a car used daily, including the weekend, is going to be a lot of trouble getting it dry and covered. I guess it's more practical to just keep an eye out for poop and keep the car washed and waxed.

A

Anonymous

haddow2004 said:
yes, if you get a quote for a tailor made cover then let us know. i will need one!

Mikepy said "Let us know what sort of quote you get, I may be interested as well."

Hi guys, got a reply back pretty soon from Stormforce suppliers: car-cover-uk.com saying they hadn't yet added the RCZ to their range of tailored covers and the ones they have would leave the exhaust and rear valance exposed. The price quoted is £162.95 + £8.95 P&P.

A

Anonymous

wow thats a really good price, i am going to get on to them to make me one in time for when i recieve my rcz!! should be ok even tho its new paint right???

FGRob

Reaction score
The only advice I would give is just to make sure your car is clean and dry before you cover it or else it will scratch your car.

Rob

A

Anonymous

FGRob said:
The only advice I would give is just to make sure your car is clean and dry before you cover it or else it will scratch your car.

Rob
Thanks for the tip :beer: and congrats on becoming a global moderator :D