What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Water pump lifespan

spyrosvl

Reaction score
Hello,

Can someone please inform me about the normal lifespan of the water pump?
I have an RCZ 200bhp 10/2013 and 29500 miles.

Thank you in advance!

Best regards,
Spyros

DKZ5745

Reaction score
As far as I know, it’s a lifetime part, but, so is the centre brake light, which also fails on a far too regular basis.

These things can of course fail at any time. Any mechanical part no matter how well made is unlikely to last forever, just watch F1 on Sunday.

spyrosvl

Reaction score
DKZ5745 said:
As far as I know, it’s a lifetime part, but, so is the centre brake light, which also fails on a far too regular basis.

These things can of course fail at any time. Any mechanical part no matter how well made is unlikely to last forever, just watch F1 on Sunday.

Thank you for the quick response. Should I get an alert light in the dashboard?

DKZ5745

Reaction score
If your water pump has failed you will get more than a warning light. Your car will overheat very quickly and if you keep the engine running it will seize probably destroying itself.

You would also get a some sort of EML warning too, as several sensors would be triggered by the consequences of a failed water pump.

What makes you think that your water pump has failed?

spyrosvl

Reaction score
DKZ5745 said:
What makes you think that your water pump has failed?

Nothing at all. The official Peugeot service in Cyprus told me that I should replace the water pump and this is a normal wearing of this part after this milage & time and I am suspicious that they are just doing this for more income. :)

DKZ5745

Reaction score
As far as I am aware, The water pump does not need replacing as part of a service interval. It should only be replaced if it is failing (maybe leaking or bearing noise or engine overheating that cannot be attributed to any other reason) or of course if it has failed.

I have never heard of a water pump being replaced on an age basis.

My car is a 200 GT 09/13 which has done @47 k miles. It has been serviced this week at a Peugeot main dealer here in the UK. If there was any way they could get any more money out of me they surely would, so as my car is slightly older than yours and has done a lot more miles, I’m sure if it was necessary to replace anything they would have told me about it.

Your garage (unless they have good reason to think the pump is faulty) is trying to rip you off.

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
They’re probably looking at it generally, on some older type vehicles it would be prudent to change the water pump when you changed the timing belt but not necessary on the RCZ.

Flanners

Reaction score
On many vehicles (no idea of RCZ) the water pump is replaced when a belt service is undertaken given if it fails the very least that will happen is that the belts would need to be redone again given the location and need to remove components to get to the pump etc so incurring £££'s....at 29K the water pump 'should' be a-ok and given the knowledge fron people above is not a common cause for concern on the RCZ...unlike some cars with plastic impellors, dodgy seals and half the engine off to get to the part.