What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Tyre size??

A

Anonymous

My 2012 model 1600 RCZ got the original Continental 235/40/19 tyres but after approx 40000 kms one of the front tyres need to be changed. That means for sure , i got to buy 4 new tyres on the 19' mags.

As I do live in Hua Hin Thailand it will take a long time to get the original brand and size.

The KOSOL Thailand(the tyre garage) offered me to get me (in 4 days only)the brand HANKOOK Ventus Sport K 104 tyres.
Size 245/40/19 or 235/50/19.

How should i handle this? I checked tests for the HANKOOK tyres and they got quite good results on the internet.....

I would be very thankful if there is anybody out there who got an idea what I should do?

A

Anonymous

poptherock said:
My 2012 model 1600 RCZ got the original Continental 235/40/19 tyres but after approx 40000 kms one of the front tyres need to be changed. That means for sure , i got to buy 4 new tyres on the 19' mags.

As I do live in Hua Hin Thailand it will take a long time to get the original brand and size.

The KOSOL Thailand(the tyre garage) offered me to get me (in 4 days only)the brand HANKOOK Ventus Sport K 104 tyres.
Size 245/40/19 or 235/50/19.

How should i handle this? I checked tests for the HANKOOK tyres and they got quite good results on the internet.....

I would be very thankful if there is anybody out there who got an idea what I should do?

I'm running 235x35x19s at the moment, that I really like. Are they an option for you? Not sure about the handling the 50s would give compared to the 40s?

A

Anonymous

The 50 profile would look totally out of proportion :thumbdown: it would dull the sharpness of the steering on turn in and they are also heavier,but it would be quieter/smoother

A

Anonymous

235/40/19 has a diameter of 26.4 inches
245/40/19 has a diameter of 26.72 inches
235/50/19 has a diameter of 28.25 inches

So what does this mean?

well it could be that the 245/40 rubs against the wheel well on full steering lock as it is wider - or it may not - but it is a wider tyre - bigger footprint, better grip (conventionally).

It could also be that the 235/50 rubs against the wheel well as it is taller, but would do this on full suspension travel... No benefit in terms of conventional grip, but better absorption of bumps.

Now think about speedometer and mileometer accuracy (gearing will not be so much of an issue as the change in size is fairly small) - but this is going to throw out your speedo - worst case with the 235/50 in which case you will be traveling 7% faster than the speedometer will actually show, and will cover 7% more miles than the mileometer will record.

On the basis that this is a performance car and not a 4x4 (where it may be desireable to increase the tyre profile in order to gain clearance between the axle and ground) I would personally opt to stick with the manufacturers recommended size despite any wait. There are options in terms of make - continental, pirelli, bridgestone, yokohama, michelin, goodyear all list a tyre in this size.

If you can't wait though then go for the least worst option - the 245/40/19