What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

TPMS trouble

frankvdb

Reaction score
I recently got new wheels for my 2010 HDi.
I will keep my 18" for winter tyres and as those have tyre pressure sensors which works well (notified me of slow punctures on two different occasions so that I could have the tyres fixed without further damage) so I also wanted that on the new 19" Technical wheels.
So it was done and when I collected the car I used the "check" button and it said OK! for all 4 corners.
But after 10 minutes driving a warning came up that tyre pressure wasn't monitored and the check button only gave OK for the left rear and all other three gave "not monitored" (in Dutch).
So they checked it and concluded the three sensors were defective so I returned today to have them replaced.
After the replacement, it said the left rear (which hadn't been touched and was on correct pressure) was flat!
So they also replaced that sensor and when starting the car again it said all OK.
Glad that it had all been fixed I drove home again but after 10 minutes the exact same error that I had originally came on, again saying left rear OK and others not monitored. :wtf:
As all sensors had been replaced I'm sure that can't be the problem.
Anyone have a clue what it can be?
Could it be the sensors have changed from mk1 to mk2?
Never had any problems with the sensors on the 18" wheels.
Also, I witnessed the mechanic entering the sensor IDs through diagbox so I'm sure he knew what he was doing.
They are asking Peugeot if they know more.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
I recently asked my local Pug dealer if they could change my wheels round, front to rear. They told me if they did that, they would have to "calibrate" the car, as the wheels were matched to each corner, or some other excuse.
Maybe they need "calibrating", I had no idea what they were talking about, but accepted their explanation as to why they wouldn't do it, but I do seem to remember when posting that at the time, someone said it was a load of what male Cows do in the field, but it's all I have.
:eusa-think:

frankvdb

Reaction score
Actually I am pretty sure that what they told you is not correct.
I asked the mechanic specifically about that and he said the car only needs to know the sensor IDs and will know when wheels got changed and adjust accordingly.
Also, it can store 8 wheels so should be able to just switch to winter wheels and it will still know them and adapt.
This means that no interference of the dealer is required for the usual wheel swapping.

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi just had some new tyres fitted and in doing so moved a rear offside to front near side drove car to petrol station no problem when I started the car again I got the warning front near side tyre deflated! Which it wasn't. After checking tyre pressures the rears on 19" are 2bar where the fronts should be 2.4bar so after inflating to 2.4bar all is well no warnings so they can be moved back to front and offside to near side (and vice versa) with no problems.
:beer: :thumbup:

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Yeah, I thought at the time it sounded like either a very mis-informed service receptionist, or a "we really can't be bothered having just f*#+ed your locking nuts up once already" excuse.

Anyway, thinking about it afterwards, if they had done it, I would have probably ended up needing all 4 tyres replacing at the same time, so it's probably best I wear the fronts off first, then it's not too expensive all at once :eusa-think:

pete.garratt

Reaction score
Definitely on pre-facelift, sensors have to be programmed into the car. In fact, there are 9 slots, two sets of wheels (summer/winter) & 1 spare.

I know because I've had to do it, including buying the special tool to get the sensors to start transmitting so the car can capture and store their codes.

I don't know about all post-facelift models, but certainly on my R, you just bung the wheels on and the system just learns the TPMS module codes.

From your symptoms, you must have a pre-facelift model.The sensors have not been properly programmed to the car. When you set off, the car waits for a certain period, just to be sure the sensors aren't working before declaring it can't monitor them.

Can't explain the odd reading from one, though. It may be lack of programming, may be faulty sensor (batteries should last 10 years, apparently.

Programming a set of 4 does not require the car to be driven or the wheels removed, just the proper tools and no more than 1 hour, less I would say (again, done it myself, so I speak from experience).

Sorry to say, your dealer sounds a bit incompetent to me.

frankvdb

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply Pete, but TBH I don't think I agree.
The mechanic did put the sensor IDs in the car using diagbox so I assume this means that the car is programmed for it.
What do you mean in addition to that with "programming the sensors to the car"?

pete.garratt

Reaction score
There appear to be a couple of ways to register sensors on the car. One is to know the code and manually type it in via Planet Peugeot 2000 type diagnostic tool, the other is to set the car to 'receive' via PP2000, trigger the sensor to send its code and have the car capture the code itself. This triggering is done either by temporarily over-inflating the tyre or using an externally operated battery-powered RF transmitter to activate it.

Now, after spending a couple of months messing about, I found the only reliable way was via external trigger.

Now, that's not to say the other methods don't work properly, just that they didn't for me. Perhaps with proper training and experience, the other ways are just as reliable.

It's just a suggestion, but if the 'type-in-the-code' method is a bit flakey (to use a technical term) and/or requires a precise, detailed process to be successful, maybe other people struggle with it too.

This might explain the fact the dealers think they've got it right but people still experience the 'pressure not monitored' warning, which - as I understand it - means the car has no sensor registered for the relevant wheel, even though there is a perfectly functional module installed.

pete.garratt

Reaction score
I'll chance my arm and go a bit further.

Another reason to suggest that the TMPS system pre-facelift can be finicky is the fact they appear to have changed it. I can't see any car maker, particularly Peugeot with its reported financial woes, to spend money if it didn't have to.

As I said in an earlier post, my R seems to have an upgraded system. When I hooked it up to PP200 to fit my winter wheels and register the TMPS modules for them, I used a configuration for a mk1 'Z (I don't have the latest version to support the R yet). It reported that it couldn't find the TPMS control module in the car - not that it was an unrecognised type, but that there wasn't one.

Clearly, there was - otherwise the original modules wouldn't have worked either. From all this, I concluded that the cars systems had been upgraded and my out of date PP200 software had, therefore, got confused.

So, I put the winter wheels on and drove normally.

Guess what?

No TPMS errors reported - I expected them after about 10 miles of driving - but pressures monitored.

My supposition is that they've done this because people were having problems when they changed wheels or replaced sensors and customers were complaining about it.

The new system seems much more user friendly - if it gets any valid code from a TPMS module, it accepts the fact that someone has fitted a new one and uses it to monitor that wheel. If someone fits a new one or moves them around it says: OK, it's a new valid code on that wheel. I'll just use that one, then.

RCZ-Performance

Reaction score
We have replaced tyres and even wheel sizes and moved them around on the car and sometimes the sensors trigger the system that something is wrong, but eventually it goes away after it re-calibrates itself. The original sensors are now on after-market 20" wheels with no issues. We do change the tyre valve though as you do with non-TPMS systems, we sell these valves:

http://shop.rczperformance.com/product.sc?productId=230&categoryId=403

Take from this what you want but the sensors are NOT specific to specific location on the car, or wheel brand, or tyre size, the sensor monitors air pressure. The TPMS system will determine where the sensors are and can tell you what tyre has a problem based upon it's intelligence, but the sensors are not specific to location themselves. We at one time had to run our system with no sensors and yes the car let us know that the TPMS is not working.

pete.garratt

Reaction score
I concur with RCZ-Performance - on the pre-facelift models, sensors need to be registered to the car but not specifically to each location.

From my experiences, the issues come when you replace the actual sensor itself.

Furthermore, post face-lift models seem to have an updated system that is far less finicky.

frankvdb

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I still have the same problem.
The mechanic has tried all sensor registration methods, to no avail.
He collected all data and sent it to Peugeot but I don't have much hope... :cry:
It's really strange how it consistently works for one corner and not for the three others, even after changing all four sensors.
So definitely appears like there's something wrong with the TPMS controller itself.

KMG

Reaction score
Hi, I have a TPMS question...apologies if it's already been answered....I have a 2014 1.6L 156 RCZ which I bought very recently. Hadn't even heard of TPMS!
Is it possible to alter the tyre pressures that the system monitors in a menu somewhere, or are the tyre pressures 'hard coded' on this model, and if so, are they set at 33 front and 29 rear, and what is the range either side before an alarm? I checked my tyres two weeks ago and they were all 34 psi, so I left them at that. Got a message this morning, 'front tyre deflated', so checked and front left was 30, so put it up to 34 and message is gone.
Apart from changing batteries when they go (do I have battery operated sensors or are they 'sealed units'?), does the TPMS system just look after itself?
Is there a specific sensor that has to be used in the case of replacement, and if so what is the make and part no.?

Thanks,
Kevin

Last edited:

Pedro

Reaction score
Anti lock braking system wheel sensors can also cause issues with the TPMS?

Verminator

Staff member
Reaction score
The tpms is a sealed unit so you can't just change the batteries you need to change the complete sensor but you can keep the valve stems unless you want to change them at the same time...

KMG

Reaction score
The tpms is a sealed unit so you can't just change the batteries you need to change the complete sensor but you can keep the valve stems unless you want to change them at the same time...
Thanks for your reply. Any idea on the ability to change the TPMS settings? Looked in the manual and there's no mention of this capability in the vehicle configuration menu...

Verminator

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes you can get this done by having reader plugged in and parameters changed it should sort it all for you but you might have to get somebody who's qualified

KMG

Reaction score
Ok, thanks. Obviously a device that plugs into the OBD port.
I definitely will not be messing with my car's software!!!

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Aftermarket sensors are relatively cheap now and do work ok if you have a MK1 car the new sensors have to be programmed to the car MK2 are plug and play 👍