What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Too much laquer?

A

Anonymous

Hi

When I got my car all down the right handside on the corner of the back bumper where it meets the side of the car, bonnet and front wing there was way too much laquer applied at factory which resulted in big drips in the corner of all the panels. Also on the back bumper the paint started coming away from inside the bumper. I managed to get it all done under warranty has anyone else has issuses with the lacquer on their car? Mine is opal white.

A

Anonymous

opal white is a solid colour and not laquered. strange could it be the wax given to protect the car during transport? never heard of paint dripping during manufactoring

A

Anonymous

I read somewhere that some manufactures do now laquer even solid colours. :eusa-think:

A

Anonymous

Every car and I mean EVERY car regardless of colour or finish has a clear coat applied!!

A

Anonymous

Very odd that there's runs and flaking paint thou, these cars are done by robot and under sterile conditions. Not much scope for mistakes I wouldn't think.
Did you get car from new, not been resprayed or touched up by anyone?

A

Anonymous

I have to say that the paint finish on my Opal is totaly blemish free.
I did have a small issue with a little bit of paint peeling under the rear arch on the plastic skirt( no fear of rusting) which was sorted under warranty, but the overall finish is very very good, even under forecourt lighting I have no swirls ect.

A

Anonymous

to my knowledge the laquer is mixed with the colour itself to increase the overall strenght of the paint. opal white is a solid colour and its not coated with a laquer. you can easily tell if a car is laquered or not by looking at the paint and see the clear layer over the existing solid colour. i cannot see this on mine which is opal white. nither can i see this layer on the roof which is also a solid black. maybe peugeot can give us some answers.

RCZ1

Reaction score
The way to find out is to polish a small area. Polish a small area with a cloth, not the same colour as the car. Then look at the cloth, if it's changed to a white colour (if a white car), then it's removed some of the paint, which means it has not got a clear coat.

A

Anonymous

Starky said:
Every car and I mean EVERY car regardless of colour or finish has a clear coat applied!!
This isn't true not every car has a clear coat.
Some paints are single stage paints (sometime called high solid paint) which don't require a lacquered coat.
Or you have the majority which have a colour coat then a laquer coat

A

Anonymous

DannnnM said:
Hi

When I got my car all down the right handside on the corner of the back bumper where it meets the side of the car, bonnet and front wing there was way too much laquer applied at factory which resulted in big drips in the corner of all the panels. Also on the back bumper the paint started coming away from inside the bumper. I managed to get it all done under warranty has anyone else has issuses with the lacquer on their car? Mine is opal white.

My pearl has the same problem! I've just left it as could be worse trying to remove it!

A

Anonymous

I ordered the car from brand new and I got them to confirm if it had been damaged on the way there, they said it definitely wasn't and you could tell because on the bumper where the paint had come away it was black plastic and there was no primer. They said they hadn't seen one like it before, I didn't take any pictures before they did take some at the dealership to send off for the warranty. They ended up sanding down all the corners and touching them up didn't fancy having half of my car resprayed! One of the corners they 'forgot' to do but isn't really that bad at all so I can put up with it, i'll try and get a picture but it's difficult to get it to stand out in the camera because the lacquer is clear.