What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

THP200 Noises

A

Anonymous

Hi All,

I've had my RCZ for just over a week now, I've covered around 400miles and varied tried to vary my driving during the early miles with motorway and town driving. But there's a few noises that are bugging me (probably because I don't know exactly what they are). If anyone can fill in any details I'd appreciate it:

- Accelerating (not particularly hard) from 60 up to 70 I'm getting a sort of turbo whine, which disappears as soon as acceleration stops. Not sure if this is actually coming from the turbo, but it would sound logical, but I don't know if this should be an expected noise?

- I'm getting a permanent, very high pitched, very feint whine (not like a wheel bearing whine, more like a distant high pitched whistle). This one is more of a pain as it's giving me a headache everyday. Took it too the dealership today and they think it's a valve on the fuel pump. As that is the only item in the rear of the car that could reasonably produce such a noise. Apparently they're ordering a new one to fit.

- Then if you simply put the key in the ignition and turn the key to "ON" position (not "START") you get a the usual complement of engine prepping noises, but these continue for a good 15-20secs with flapping noises, whines, whirrings (sounds like a miniature percussion section).

- Then whe you come to turn the car off, it sounds like a fan kicks in for an unusally long 20secs, with an additional background whine for a further 15secs.

My old turbo diesel mondeo, never had a whine during acceleration and when you turned the car off you mentarily hear the turbo spinning down but that was about it. None of this mini orchestra business. Anyway not slating the car and whilst this all sounds a bit an*l, I'm just trying to gauge if this noises are normal and identify any problems and get them rectified whilst the salesman is still looking to help.

Cheers,
Jas

FGRob

Reaction score
Hi Jas.

The 200 has a butterfly valve fitted to give you the extra throaty sound, could it be that passing, might want to make sure it's adjusted correctly.

During start up I get some buzzing noises as soon as the key is put into the ignition, I thought this was the fuel pump priming itself so if the pump is playing up then it could be making a different type of noise, there was a recall on the fuel pump (156) a while back, I know mine was replaced but not sure if the 200 was part of the recall.

You've done the best thing by taking it back to the garage. :thumbup:

Rob

A

Anonymous

Cheers Rob,

They're going to check the acceleration whine noise when they do the work on the fuel pump.

Also do you (or anyone else on here) get a very strained electric motor sound from the wing mirrors (when they fold) and the electrc seats (always a possibility that my backside is too heavy!!)?

It's the sort of thing that bugs me something should either work or break, not sound like it's going to break soon! :)

t110jim

Reaction score
I know wat you mean about the mirrors, the motors do sound stained, the oes on my wifes 207 gt sound fine

FGRob

Reaction score
khatkar said:
Cheers Rob,

They're going to check the acceleration whine noise when they do the work on the fuel pump.

Also do you (or anyone else on here) get a very strained electric motor sound from the wing mirrors (when they fold) and the electrc seats (always a possibility that my backside is too heavy!!)?

It's the sort of thing that bugs me something should either work or break, not sound like it's going to break soon! :)
That's good - let them check it.

Yep mine make a noise which I thought was normal to be honest, the wifes Toyota fold but not automatically but they are noisey as well.

I've had the car 3 months now and the sound is exactly the same as when I first had it.

Rob

A

Anonymous

Excellent (about the mirrors) that's one noise I now know is normal. Just been out to the garage again, I get the fuel pump priming noise as soon as the key is in the ignition (not even turned). After letting the engine run for a few minutes I switched the engine off and there was a whine (like a pump) still going for about 2-3mins! Affter the engine was switched off.

FGRob

Reaction score
khatkar said:
Excellent (about the mirrors) that's one noise I now know is normal. Just been out to the garage again, I get the fuel pump priming noise as soon as the key is in the ignition (not even turned). After letting the engine run for a few minutes I switched the engine off and there was a whine (like a pump) still going for about 2-3mins! Affter the engine was switched off.
Yep I get the same noise from the front though - is that the same for you?

A

Anonymous

FGRob said:
khatkar said:

I often get the fan running up after I switch the engine off and leave the car but I got the same from my old 206cc so sort of assumed it was a Peugeot thing.

A

Anonymous

FGRob said:
khatkar said:

Yep, the "2-3min after the engine is off noise" is coming from just in front of the main block in the engine bay. But the while the car is running I get the high pitchied whistling noise from the rear. I listened to it last night with the car running from the outside rear of the car, it sounded like it was coming from just in front of the rear torsion beam. I'm guessing the garage diagnosis was right, in that they suspect it's the fuel pump, which is located at the rear.

A

Anonymous

Exclamation said:
FGRob said:
khatkar said:

I often get the fan running up after I switch the engine off and leave the car but I got the same from my old 206cc so sort of assumed it was a Peugeot thing.

I do get a fan noise after switching off, but the longer noise is more like a pump of some description located right at the front-centre of the engine bay.

A

Anonymous

Not getting any better, I think the accelerating whine is also linked to the fuel pump, as the accelerating whine seems to be coming from the rear of the car.

Worse than that after I switched the car off (after a 25mile trip home) and went to open the boot and could smell something overheating, not quite a burnt smell, hard to describe, but worrying nontheless.

A

Anonymous

So I got the car back yesterday evening and:

- they said they've replaced the fuel pump but from the outside rear underside, you can still hear the persistent high pitched whine.

- I've been told the sloshing around of the fuel in the tank (especially when the tank is full) is quite normal. Anyone else get this?

- I've been told that the whine only when accelerating is also normal. Anyone else get this?

- I noticed that they'd washed it, and even in daylight it looked like a poor job. But it was only later that evening when I saw it on the drive with the driveway light reflecting off the bonnet that I noticed all the swirl marks on the bonnet. They only seem to be visible under halogen driveway light at night. If I drive into the garage where there's flourescent tubes I can't see the swirls or during the day. I can't fathom how they could have been done by hand though as they don't look like they could've been done by hand, one of the marks looks like a strip approximately 12" in width that stretches from the top left corner of the bonnet across to the right light cluster and aren't actually swirl marks but more rather very fine parallel lines. I did notice that whatever the car washing muppet had used must've been quite strong as it got through the wax and autoglym extra gloss that I put on last weekend so my fingers didn't glide over the paint work but gripped to the paint (if you know what I mean?). Perhaps this is the finish of the actual paint work as I think this is the first time I've seen the car with all the wax protection removed from the paint?

- and finally to add s0dd1ng insult to injury the butterfly valves no longer make the throaty sound that they used to, just sounds like the revving of any standard petrol engine.

Boy am I miffed, on the plus side the swirly paint marks aren't visible during the day, so I'm going back today to check against a demo THP200 for the other noises especially the last one.

I wish Heineken made franchised dealerships! Probably the best dealerships... you get the point.

RCZ1

Reaction score
khatkar said:
So I got the car back yesterday evening and:

- they said they've replaced the fuel pump but from the outside rear underside, you can still hear the persistent high pitched whine.

- I've been told the sloshing around of the fuel in the tank (especially when the tank is full) is quite normal. Anyone else get this?

- I've been told that the whine only when accelerating is also normal. Anyone else get this?

- I noticed that they'd washed it, and even in daylight it looked like a poor job. But it was only later that evening when I saw it on the drive with the driveway light reflecting off the bonnet that I noticed all the swirl marks on the bonnet. They only seem to be visible under halogen driveway light at night. If I drive into the garage where there's flourescent tubes I can't see the swirls or during the day. I can't fathom how they could have been done by hand though as they don't look like they could've been done by hand, one of the marks looks like a strip approximately 12" in width that stretches from the top left corner of the bonnet across to the right light cluster and aren't actually swirl marks but more rather very fine parallel lines. I did notice that whatever the car washing muppet had used must've been quite strong as it got through the wax and autoglym extra gloss that I put on last weekend so my fingers didn't glide over the paint work but gripped to the paint (if you know what I mean?). Perhaps this is the finish of the actual paint work as I think this is the first time I've seen the car with all the wax protection removed from the paint?

- and finally to add s0dd1ng insult to injury the butterfly valves no longer make the throaty sound that they used to, just sounds like the revving of any standard petrol engine.

Boy am I miffed, on the plus side the swirly paint marks aren't visible during the day, so I'm going back today to check against a demo THP200 for the other noises especially the last one.

I wish Heineken made franchised dealerships! Probably the best dealerships... you get the point.

Hi khatkar

I'm sad for you that your car has not been sorted out to your satisfaction. It will be interesting to hear the feedback from other members to see if they have similar issues.

With regards to your paintwork, swirls always show up better under halogen lamps but its really a bad state of affairs when dealers can't wash cars without causing all sorts of problems. They use TFR (Traffic Film Remover) which is very strong and will strip the wax off your car. I'd take it back and complain AGAIN !