What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Test Drive

A

Anonymous

Hi everyone,
First time on this forum. Am registered with other Peugeot forums too.
Took a 156 GT in black out the other day for an hour test drive.
Love the looks but I was really disappointed with quite a few aspects of the car.

1. Really cheap knobs, feel as though they will fall off with any pressure.
2. Poor quality stereo installed as standard.
3. Should so have a sporty exhaust. I couldn't detect any change in exhaust note, and I feel that if Peugeot had put a sporty exhaust on it would be so much better. A hand made one will cost alot no doubt but would be worth it.
4. Wifey couldn't get into a decent driving position with regard to the view to the nearside mirror -told her to just look ahead and leave everyone in her wake....

Saw a 200 GT with leather dash and the workmanship was very poor, creases all over the place- would not pay the extra £500 for that.

Positives:
1. The looks, so much better than the "Audi titty" (thanks Jeremy Clarkson)and up to date.
2. The feel of the car, stuck like glue to the road.
3. Liked the acceleration between 50-70 mph.
4.Fantastic boot space, especially with the rear seat down.
5. Potential to improve especially with an engine with more grunt and raw power.

Overall liked the car but the negatives are a concern when being a private buyer. Must test the 200 GT to see if there is much difference.
Anyone else with similar concerns opinions/
Cheers.

FGRob

Reaction score
Not really - what do you expect for £23K, if you have doubts don't buy it - but what's a suitable alternative at that price.

Just as a matter of interest what car do you run at the moment.

Rob.

A

Anonymous

Hi Redpug,

Can honestly say you are the 1st person I've heard to express such concerns.

The interior.........quoted from "What Car" "The RCZ’s quality is something Peugeot can be rightly proud of. The dashboard has a lavish soft-touch covering, and all the plastics and trim have a premium look and feel. The majority of its controls work with slinky precision too"

The radio - havent had any complaints about the standard unit and the JBL upgrade is good value !

The exhaust ... a 200 has a very different engine note to the 156 due to some clever pipe work - really worth a try to hear the difference.

Never seen an integral leather dash with "creases" - have 2 on site at the moment - the leather does tighten as it curves round objects like the airvents but this is because it as a natural material. If you cant live with it save £515 and go for the synthetic covering :thumbup:

regards

Marcus

A

Anonymous

FGRob said:
Not really - what do you expect for £23K, if you have doubts don't buy it - but what's a suitable alternative at that price.

Just as a matter of interest what car do you run at the moment.

Rob.

A 307CC and happy with it so far.

FGRob

Reaction score
Redpug said:
A 307CC and happy with it so far.
Hi Redpug

I've run a standard 156 GT for 1 month now, the interior looks the part and I certainly don't feel like the knobs are going to fall off, :eusa-think: remember the major components are automatic or are operated off the wheel stalks so there is little need to touch them, as for the radio there are loads of different set-ups you can choose from which you are certainly not going to investigate during a 1 hour test drive, I certainly find the radio more than exceptable for the car.

As for the engine, mines just starting to loosen up, great feel, very smooth and above all nice and quiet - yep that's right quiet - it makes for a fantastic Grand Tourer which is the main reason I brought it, if I want noise and speed then I get in my MR2 Roadster and listen to a rip roaring 97 DBA on full chat with the roof down :twisted: :twisted:

I like driving the car slow so that other road users can appreciate the beauty of the RCZ :eusa-whistle: :eusa-whistle: - I just love the double takes you get :dance: :dance:

I was going to have a TT :oops: :oops: before I first clapped eyes on the RCZ, once seen that was it I brought the car out the showroom and never looked back since.

My car is a private purchase and I certainly would recommend buying one, you have to look beyond the little bits and look at the whole picture, these cars are limited in numbers which makes it a pretty exclusive club to be in. :thumbup: :dance:

Rob.

A

Anonymous

Can sort of see the OP's point on the switchgear (i.e. climate control rotary knobs), I wouldn't say it's poor quality, the switchgear just isn't weighted like audi controls. However I tried both the standard and JBL systems and at comfortable volumes for me couldn't notice the difference and the standard system sounded great to me, so I left the order without the JBL upgrade. Also not sure if it's just cause I'm a short a*** but the best driving position I could get into (albeit within a couple of minutes before the test drive) felt peculiar as the front end was hard to gauge. Didn't notice any quality issues witht the leather dash though.

But ultimately I love love the handling, the interior and exterior looks over anything else on the market. I've been lookingaround for a car for a couple of years and just couldn't find anything to get my pulse racing instead having to look for cars with lots of toys on to compensate for looks and was looking at a nearly new Audi A5/TT/BMW 3 series, but this was the only car that I felt excited about when looking at it and the only car to put a big smile on my face when sitting in it.

A

Anonymous

Hi redpug

can't say I share your concerns I'm afraid

I thought the interior was OK. on the exhaust front, I'd agree that it was quiet (I drove the HDI) but I saw that as a positive (I do some long distance driving so coupled with the ride, thought it would be fairly relaxing for me).

Re: the stereo, I didn't listen to it on the test drive, so can't comment. I found the driving position ok, but agree that this is a personal thing in any car (it either suits you or it doesn't)

overall, car buying is a subjective thing in my opinion - I liked the RCZ and ordered one, but if it's not the car for you then I guess you have some more searching to do. Good luck with your deliberations.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all the replies especially private buyers.I still love the look of the car and now have to weigh up the fun of a convertible versus a sleek hardtop! Decisions decisions.....

G81

Reaction score
The RCZ will choose you!

Welcome to the forum by the way

A

Anonymous

Hey Redpug
You need to try the thp 200. It is an amazing handling car and the exhaust note is amazing under load.

I've just read an article on the 200 and didn't realise how different it was to the other RCZ's

G

A

Anonymous

G81 said:
The RCZ will choose you!

Welcome to the forum by the way

Thanks for that...I have the car as my screen saver on the iphone and the app is quite good fun too...I think it has chosen me already.. :twisted: