What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Tensioner replacement

Lanciaman

Reaction score
Likely asked before but is it worth putting on a new tensioner, effectively as a service item? I have a 2015 156 with 33k miles.

I've just had it serviced using all oe parts and the correct Total oil. Last service before I bought it was 2k miles ago. I'll be changing the oil after 4 or 5k miles tops.

No issues with the engine at the moment but worth doing the tensioner as a precaution?

lfe

Reaction score
I changed the tensioner at 123000km because it rattle a little sometimes about two minutes after starting from cold.

Now with 136000km it never rattles.

I'm not entirely sure but I don't think the chain has ever been changed.

My car is from 2010.

I think you can wait longer to change it.

Chillipip

Reaction score
You’ll have the updated/improved tensioner in a 2015 model so I don’t think changing just the tensioner will be beneficial or preventative. If anything if you want to do preventative maintenance, do the chain, plastic guides and tensioner but with your mileage I don’t think you need to.

lfe

Reaction score
I think that changing the tensioner is beneficial, because it is the main culprit, poorly designed, with a small and weak spring.
It worked for me, changing the tensioner ended the rattling.

As the chain starts to rattle, it starts to be ruined, sometimes skipping teeth or even breaking.

Pedro

Reaction score
Your engine will tell you if the chain & tensioner needs changing & service data suggests its in the 100.000 range on these engines but servicing before schedules could make a massive difference to chain life