What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Steering Wheel Shudder

A

Anonymous

Hi,

As started in a previous thread (Auto Lights), I (feel I) have had poor handling from Day One with this car (GT Hdi).
The handling has never been that good and recently, I've experienced slight steering wheel shudder and a pull to the left.

Haven't hit any potholes or kerbs, etc so was at a bit of a loss as to why this has started to happen now :?

Thought this was just a characteristic of the car, so have lived with it :cry:
Recent Forum discussions have revealed that the majority of you are experiencing excellent handling and that it's one of the best features of this car :eusa-think:

After a recent visit to Kwik(!!) - Fit, they said that the front wheels were both well out of balance and added a shed-full of weights. Car is now even worse.
There is quite violent shudder between 70-80mph, although completely disappears below / above (ahem) this speed.
Booked in with a Geo Garage tomorrow (Thursday) to see if there's anything that they may be able to do.
Good discussion on the 'phone about potential causes / issues / etc.

Could be:

i) Poor balancing
ii) Buckled wheel(s)
iii) Warped Disc(s)
iv) Something come loose with the Steering set-up (he did explain this far more technically - I forget the exact phrases) :crazy:

He's going to run a full check to see whether that produces any results.
If not, or not fully resolved, booked in with the Dealer on Friday.

Hope this gets sorted soon - rather mundane driving around below 70mph all the time :eusa-shhh:

A

Anonymous

Wish you luck with this one :eusa-think: the way you describe it will be wear and tear,and warranty will not cover(i doubt it) it's a shame,is the 163HDI a lot heavier than the petrol,the extra weight may cause more stress on front :eusa-think:
good luck in any case.

A

Anonymous

i have a bit of judder over 70mph,i put it down to wheel balancing being out. i havent bothered with it because i never drive above the spead limit-honest.

A

Anonymous

I had this problem on my previous car, it would start at around 65mph then stop around 75mph, it was driving me nuts, so i took the car in to be checked in my local tyre fitting garage, i have used them for years without any problems and like you had weights stuck every on the wheels (front) , this made a slight improvement but didnt cure it, so back to the tyre garage again and again, this went on for about a fortnight, and everytime i took it back the fitter showed me the readings on their balance machine that did in fact show perfect balance, yet the car would still shudder slightly at certain speeds, in the end it went into the dealers and i explained what had gone on, i left the car there and picked it up couple of hours later, i drove at the speeds that i was having problems and it was perfect and still is. (my son has the car now).

Problem was : Out of Balance !!! The dealer took all the weights off both wheels and started again, the wheels ended up with just one small weight on each wheel, the dealer commented that maybe the tyre garages balance machine could of been out of calibration ?

It may be worth asking if the machine is up to date on calibration.

Ps, i find that in the RCZ the steering feels very light if i go over 70 ish :eusa-think:

A

Anonymous

Cheers Jactac,

This is what I am really hoping for :thumbup:
Even the Geo Guy said immediately the problem was balancing :eusa-think:

He's going to start from scratch and look at the Steering Set-up (make sure nothings come loose / lack of handling), then the balancing, then the tracking (pull to the left) and keep working through until he finds / corrects all the issues.
Rather hoping that a buckled wheel(s) and / or a warped disc(s) are not on the Agenda :thumbdown:

This Garage has an excellent write-up on a number of the Car Forums, so I'm expecting great things.
He really seems to "enjoy" trying to suss out why things are happening and then resolve.

Dealer is really my "last resort" :roll:

Again, I may just be unlucky, although this is the first time I've experienced such a problem in the first year of ownership - and my first ever time of using a Geo Garage.
Even with a VX220 I never needed the use of such a Garage in the three years I kept her - and that saw some serious corners at speed, etc.

dolanog said:
Wish you luck with this one
Thanks, problems like this particular one always seem to be a mixture of luck and perserverance to get resolved.

Anyway, be interesting to see what the problem(s) is and hopefully all corrected / resolved tomorrow

A

Anonymous

Gorwell,
Are the Geo outlets local us .?
I've not heard of them. :eusa-think:
It will be worth keeping them in mind if they are good.

A

Anonymous

OMG
Went to the Geo Garage today (Thursday). The mechanic guy was SO helpful :thumbup:
He said that he thought it was the balancing, although would do a quick check of the components in the front wheel bays to ensure everything was tight / connected / etc.
He explained that if he found anything, he wouldn't touch it as the car was still under warranty.
He checked the wheels to see if they were buckled - Nope.
He checked the discs to see if they were warped - Nope.

He found the problem :dance: :clap:

jactac said:
Problem was : Out of Balance !!! The dealer took all the weights off both wheels and started again
Absolutely bang on the money :beer:

Kwik-Fit had put the right amount of weights on, although in the wrong position :x :? :wtf:
Didn't know that you could even do this. Apparently the machine not only tells you what weight is needed, but where to put it on the wheel. The Kwik-Fit Guy was putting them in the opposite position to that the machine was telling him :brickwall:

Mechanic took it out for a quick test drive to confirm problem gone - Problem gone :dance:

Despite all that he did, he would only charge me for the balancing - £11.80 :beer:

The car now handles like a DREAM. It is the best it has been since I've had it, even from Day One.
Point and that's where it goes. Been driving round all afternoon really enjoying the responsiveness and the feeling that I'm now in full control of the steering and it's not loose and flaky.
It really is like having a new car :auto-car:

jactac said:
Are the Geo outlets local us .?
Yep, this Garage is called Avia Autos in Bridgend.
I've got the details if you want them.
The Mechanic is REALLY good and answers all sorts of questions / queries.
Let me have a good look underneath when it was on the ramp and when the wheels were off, etc.
It's the first RCZ they've had in there, even the Boss came over for a look.

They've been recommended on other Car Forums, which is how I got hold of the name / number.
Have to say that I fully recommend them also :thumbup: :clap:

Anyway, as you can see, I'm really pleased that this has been resolved successfully - certainly one to chalk up to experience and I'm certainly going to avoid the KWIK-FIT BRANCH IN NEATH :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

A

Anonymous

I've never rated them. I reckon that they are a bunch of cowboys, that "find" things wrong. In my opinion it all depends on the sales figures that they have to achieve. One month brakes, shock absorbers, exhaust, tyres you get my drift. But they'll find something other than what you went in for. I know that RCZ1 uses and rates them, but I would trust them and inch. Just my personal opinion you understand.
So pleased that you got it sorted as you now know the handling of this car is suburb. It makes the car a pleasure to drive. As if on rails is a common expression when describing the feeling.

A

Anonymous

Thing is Ron, until that last episode, this Branch are usually pretty good :eusa-think:
I've had all my tyres over the years from them - and there's usually not much change from £1k when I needed four.

Not sure if there's a different crew on a weekend (I went on Sunday) - maybe they were just "hungover" ??
They seemed more interested in throwing small bits of metal at each other and debating what they were having for lunch.
At one point, one of the mechanics entire family came in (wife and two kids) so everything stopped for 15 minutes while ALL of them looked at photos she had brought with her :eek: :wtf: :?
No wonder I was in there for 1.5 hours just for two front tyres to be balanced - and they f..... that up !! :thumbdown:

Anyway, last time I use them - will use this new Garage now

OO58RON said:
.......as you now know the handling of this car is superb.

It is quite amazing Ron, I couldn't understand why so many on here were raving about the handling before.
It really has been a transformation. The Steering Wheel is so responsive now, with even the lightest touch seeing an instant reaction. Corners are a joy and this afternoon has definitely been the best time in the car to date.
Anyone that thinks the handling on their RCZ is pants, get down to a GEO Garage or get your balancing sorted.
Then you'll start to enjoy the :auto-car:

Don't want any more excitement until the Oil Change in September though.
Got my handling sorted, got my cheap bulbs so am one happy bunny at the moment :beer:

A

Anonymous

Hung over on a sunday, :eusa-think: sounds like my type of job. :lol:
Then again mon,tue,wed,thur,fri,staturday all roll into one some weeks :oops:

Anyway glad you sorted it m8.

PS, was that you by the college again tonight around 6ish, this time driving towards Neath away from Tesco, i did give a flash. :wave:

A

Anonymous

Not me in the RCZ - Was getting a lift off my friend.
Not sure of the time, although went past the College to Tesco and then up the A465.

A

Anonymous

Gorwell said:
Not me in the RCZ - Was getting a lift off my friend.
Not sure of the time, although went past the College to Tesco and then up the A465.

Mmmm, :eusa-think: another one eh !

I seem to be seeing more and more everyday.

A

Anonymous

Had this problem when i got a punture on front tyre i think it was may be the traction come in in ?