What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Something to worry about?

emjay82

Reaction score
Two months into ownership I've had the car break down requiring new ignition coils, clutch squeal and now I'm getting concerned with the noise on start up, knowing that these engines can suffer from the dreaded.... death rattle. I've taken a video clip below, if anyone could give an opinion if they think this is it.... it would be much appreciated. https://youtu.be/xDQnmlKK5gI

RCZIain

Staff member
Reaction score
Can you get a video of the timing end from cold?
Injectors on the thp are quite noisy anyway.

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
If the noise is coming from the right side of the engine where you were looking at with the camera it’s not the timing chain that’s on the left side as your looking at it.

emjay82

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies :thumbup: , the noise is certainly more pronounced from the area behind the THP 200 cover, see the video I took this evening https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvrXzr6wvhk . First part of the video focuses on the left hand side (near dipstick), last part focused on above the middle section of the engine.

RCZIain

Staff member
Reaction score
Does it clatter for long?
My understanding is the tensioners work on oil pressure so a small amount of noise from cold for a short period is ok.

Mine rattled quite loudly and I got the chain, tensioners, guides and vvt sprockets replaced.

emjay82

Reaction score
Probably clatters for a few minutes, then settles down to a normal tone. I have noticed it more since it's been cold. I also read that checking the oil frequently can cause chain wear (really!!!), cant win with these engines! If I have to replace the whole timing kit what sort of money am I looking at with an independent mechanic, or is it worthwhile going to Peugeot? Love the car but all this is making me wonder whether to chop it in and go back to a Lexus.

emjay82

Reaction score
I've sourced parts for the chain kit for my RCZ, one option is £90 for the chain, tensioner, guide rail etc. The other option is £200 which includes new sprockets. Is it worth the extra spend to change the sprockets too?

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
I personally would change the lot, the guides are now beefed up a bit as this is where the dipstick runs through :thumbup:

emjay82

Reaction score
I would agree, and I've got the chain and sprockets being changed this Thursday.

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
emjay82 said:
I would agree, and I've got the chain and sprockets being changed this Thursday.

Great let us know how you get on. :thumbup:

emjay82

Reaction score
So chain kit, sprockets, guide, tensioner replaced at a cost of £530, the engine does seem quieter but a similar noise is still present, see video below.

https://youtu.be/QRWxXC8Eafk

Maybe I jumped the gun getting it changed but hopefully it's peace of mind that the achilles heel of these engines won't trouble me during ownership. I asked the mechanic to comment on the condition of the chain and he said it looked OK. I've kept the old chain and will post some photos in due course.