What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Snow chains on 19" - anyone with experience?

A

Anonymous

Hi all,

Does anybody have any experience with snow chains on their 19" wheels?

From some websites I understand that Peugeot says they can't be fitted, but e.g. Thule offers chains (CK-7) with an especially low profile and they list it as compatible with the RCZ & 235/40R19 wheels.

Just hoping for some confirmation that this is gonna work, as they aren't exactly cheap at ca. 180,- EUR.

Thanks,
Björn

A

Anonymous

Do you actually NEED chains?? We've used snowsocks on our Focus RS with impressive results, think they're a bit easier to put on.

If you're keeping your RCZ for a while you might want to invest in a set of cold weather tyres instead? That's what I've done.

A

Anonymous

Re: Snow chains on 19" - anyone with experience?

I may be stereo typing but with a name like Björn I'd say he needs snow chains, my guess is Scandinavia ;)

A

Anonymous

Hey,

Chuzzbutt said:
I may be stereo typing but with a name like Björn I'd say he needs snow chains, my guess is Scandinavia ;)
I'm from Holland, my name indeed would suggest being a bit further north. Cold enough over here though ;)

Joske said:
Snowchains in the Netherlands? For winterholidays then?
Correct! Austria here I come! :thumbup:

donnaj1dlh said:
Do you actually NEED chains?? We've used snowsocks on our Focus RS with impressive results, think they're a bit easier to put on.

If you're keeping your RCZ for a while you might want to invest in a set of cold weather tyres instead? That's what I've done.
Socks are not an approved alternative in Austria. Winter tires will be placed in two weeks, perfect for the weather in The Netherlands, but they won't be sufficient when things get serious in the Alps I'm afraid.

A

Anonymous

Donna, do you notify your insurers when you change to winter tyres or to snowsocks in the RS (although this wont be an issue when the Merc rolls up ). I was told that I had to inform my insurers when I put on my winter tyres. It didn't increase the premium but they informed me that, had I had an accident in them, and not informed them that I was using low temp tyres, then I would have not been covered in a claim. Do you know the stance of insurers re snowsocks?

A

Anonymous

Re: Snow chains on 19

mrizzle said:
Donna, do you notify your insurers when you change to winter tyres or to snowsocks in the RS (although this wont be an issue when the Merc rolls up ). I was told that I had to inform my insurers when I put on my winter tyres. It didn't increase the premium but they informed me that, had I had an accident in them, and not informed them that I was using low temp tyres, then I would have not been covered in a claim. Do you know the stance of insurers re snowsocks?

You don't run with snowsocks on constantly though, they're just to get you out of a 'pickle', you need to take them off as soon as you hit bare tarmac - otherwise they'll be ripped to shreds. We only really needed them to get us on to the A90 from our unclassified road. We'll be getting a set for the C63 (to keep in the boot just in case) think we'll need two sets though as the RS ones won't fit on the back - who thought it was a good idea to have different profiles back and front?? Pest!
The other winter Steve showed the RS4 next door how it was done! Classic!

As for winter tyres, I told my insurers that I had changed to winter tyres .... mainly because they're a different profile to our standards (35s instead of 40s). They noted it on my file but I wasn't charged any extra as winter tyres are seen as a 'safety enhancement'.

A

Anonymous

That's very interesting about the snow socks. I wonder if they might offer a short term solution in the absence of low temp tyres. Obviously they are only really useful on lying snow and low temp tyres are preferable. I have concerns about the contis when the temp drops!!

A

Anonymous

mrizzle said:
That's very interesting about the snow socks. I wonder if they might offer a short term solution in the absence of low temp tyres. Obviously they are only really useful on lying snow and low temp tyres are preferable. I have concerns about the contis when the temp drops!!

When we bought the socks for the RS, we couldn't get hold of wintergrips.

If I could offer any advice Rizz, I'd tell you to buy four of these
http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop. ... sowigan=Wi
They're cheaper now then when I bought them last year. Steve now has the same ones for the RS - which he now has to sell ( you can buy them if you want the RS alloys they're on, but they don't fit the RCZ, the offset is off, but only just :brickwall: )
I had these on my 207 and I trust them with my life, never stuck or slid once in the last couple of bad years we had. Managed to drive roads that were allegedly closed!

If the link doesn't work, go to mytyres and look for Vredestein Wintrac Extremes 235/35/19

A couple of folk on here have since bought them after my experiences and were also impressed......

A

Anonymous

Thank you for your advice! And you've had no issues with them being the "wrong" dimensions? I hope they'd fit my 19ins alloys ok? Their a good price, wonder if I'd get away with running them just in the drive wheels. :eusa-think:

A

Anonymous

Winter tyres= tyres with metal spikes on the treads i assume :eusa-think:

A

Anonymous

jassyo06 said:
Winter tyres= tyres with metal spikes on the treads i assume :eusa-think:
Assumed wrang then Jass...winter tyres/wintergrips/cold weather tyres call them what you like. you didn't hear me mention studded tyres.....

A

Anonymous

mrizzle said:
Thank you for your advice! And you've had no issues with them being the "wrong" dimensions? I hope they'd fit my 19ins alloys ok? Their a good price, wonder if I'd get away with running them just in the drive wheels. :eusa-think:

But they are 19s just a tinier bit lower profile. maybe not the best plan to be nearer the kerb height in the winter but when you compare the price of them to the 40s, of which there are only a couple of choices, they're literally HALF the price. In the past I've only put winters on the driving wheels but that was on a £6k car with half the power. Insurers these days could probably insist on them all round....

A

Anonymous

I did put four on my last motor. However, it too was less powerful (120BHP) and considerably less expensive. I bought it used for 10 grand. However, I bought the tyres a couple of winters ago when the weather was terrible. I couldn't get the right profile (but ones that would fit) and found they were horrible to drive on...did give some cracking grip though and used to be able to plough up roads like a 4x4. Ace!! I kinda want to see what the weather does before spanking money on winter tyres but I would draw a line under how much I'd pay for them too. I'm never going to own another car that uses the tyre profile that the RCZ does. Hmmm...

A

Anonymous

mrizzle said:
I'm never going to own another car that uses the tyre profile that the RCZ does. Hmmm...

I hear ya...although I will be on the look out for a motor that uses 235/35/19s!!! mmmm maybe we SHOULD hold on to the aRSe!

But keep an eye on the prices - they WILL rocket the further the year goes on ... then if it does snow, you'll never get any.....

Is your car on a 3yr thing or are you likely to be keeping it longer? If so, it would be worth your while. I'll sell you mine in 2 years ha ha ha

A

Anonymous

donnaj1dlh said:
mrizzle said:
I'm never going to own another car that uses the tyre profile that the RCZ does. Hmmm...

I hear ya...although I will be on the look out for a motor that uses 235/35/19s!!! mmmm maybe we SHOULD hold on to the aRSe!

But keep an eye on the prices - they WILL rocket the further the year goes on ... then if it does snow, you'll never get any.....

Is your car on a 3yr thing or are you likely to be keeping it longer? If so, it would be worth your while. I'll sell you mine in 2 years ha ha ha

I am slightly wary of the rocketing prices!! I bought my last set new and fitted for 675 bucks. Used them for two winters. They were awesome throughout the terrible first winter (saved us having a very lonely Christmas in BOD and got us through ridiculous levels of snow) but they were utterly pointless the second. I also have to factor in the the additional cost of having to change them back and forth. If I do plump for them, they may just have to "arrive" when the missus is out....she'll "own" me if I spank money on these...

A

Anonymous

[quote="mrizzleI am slightly wary of the rocketing prices!! I bought my last set new and fitted for 675 bucks. Used them for two winters. They were awesome throughout the terrible first winter (saved us having a very lonely Christmas in BOD and got us through ridiculous levels of snow) but they were utterly pointless the second. I also have to factor in the the additional cost of having to change them back and forth. If I do plump for them, they may just have to "arrive" when the missus is out....she'll "own" me if I spank money on these...[/quote]

But what price is peace of mind? (remember the road surface has only to be under something like 5C for them to be of use) so they will provide better grip even though you don't realise it. My tyres only saw one day of snow last year - and that had melted by 10am! But I was still glad I had them. I do kind wish I'd bought spare wheels of Ebay for them though - even if they were cheap £900 ones (perfectly adequate for getting kerbed in the frost!) pointless now though as I'll only have two more winters. You're looking at about £100 a season to swap the tyres back and forth.....

A

Anonymous

Bear in mind as well that you won't be wearing out your summer tyres when you've got your winter set on. So a large amount of the initial cost will pay for itself if it saves you buying a set of summer tyres, especially at the price of the Conti's. I expect you probably need to use them for 3 winters before that works out though.

A

Anonymous

mjcuk2000 said:
Bear in mind as well that you won't be wearing out your summer tyres when you've got your winter set on. So a large amount of the initial cost will pay for itself if it saves you buying a set of summer tyres, especially at the price of the Conti's. I expect you probably need to use them for 3 winters before that works out though.

I did consider this and think it is an utterly valid point! Especially with the contis coming at 240 odd notes a piece!

A

Anonymous

mrizzle said:
mjcuk2000 said:

I did consider this and think it is an utterly valid point! Especially with the contis coming at 240 odd notes a piece!

That's another reason I'll put my winters on 1st weekend of Nov and take them off last weekend in March! So my winters will probably knock up about 12K miles.