What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Smokey sticky sooty exhaust. Advise please.

A

Anonymous

Hello all,
Ive had my lovely RCZ for 1 month now but have noticed that after only a few miles around town the exhaust is smoking. I looked today and there is a sticky black sooty deposit around the chrome exhaust pipes.
I guess Ill have to get it into a dealer as its still under warranty, its a 10 plate but only 8000 miles on the clock.

I was wondering if anyone on her has had a similar issue or has any thoughts?

Many thanks in advance
Janet

A

Anonymous

Hello and welcome to the forum rczjanet. Is it smoke (blue or black) or it just white water vapor? The thp engine is a hot little runner and produces lots of water vapor (like your breath on a cold day) which will look white and is nothing to worry about. If its blue or black smoke then definitely get it checked out.

A

Anonymous

Thank you Chuzzbutt for the fast reply and nice welcome :D

Its deffinately a darker smoke and the sticky soot deposit is from it I think.

Damn, doesnt look good then. Hopefully its not too serious. :cry:

A

Anonymous

Any chance you could make a short video and post on YouTube, then we can see and make a more informed decision and your very welcome for the greetings. Its a great forum and full of knowledge, the others will be along shortly :smile:

A

Anonymous

Oh and if its under warranty it shouldn't be a monetry burden to yourself ;)

A

Anonymous

I had a sooty deposit on my exhaust I went to the dealer and he assured me it was the norm .......my exhaust fumes aren't dark though they look like water vapour

RCZ1

Reaction score
I have black sooty deposits on my exhaust but I just have clear water vapour from the exhaust.
If in doubt, go and get it checked out by your dealer ...... Oh and welcome to the forum :)

A

Anonymous

Thank you all.
Ill try and get a photo of the sooty exhaust (or video) Ill take a really closer look at the colour of the smoke too tomorrow.

A

Anonymous

You will find the exhaust produces quite a lot of vapour/fumes. As others have said, it's nothing to be concerned about unless the emissions are blue/black. The residue clears off easily enough with a polish and ultra fine #00 grade wool wire. I'd recommend sealing them too.

Tomas_90

Reaction score
What i missed or didn't miss is wheter the car is diesel or petrol? If it's a diesel it's quite obvious why there is black smoke... :p

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbSB1jBVeJY[/youtube]

A

Anonymous

Tomas_90 said:
What i missed or didn't miss is wheter the car is diesel or petrol? If it's a diesel it's quite obvious why there is black smoke... :p

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbSB1jBVeJY[/youtube]
That's smokin :clap:

A

Anonymous

That is totally normal. You will find those deposits on most direct injection engines.

A

Anonymous

Looks pretty normal to me pal. I had a 2009 Cooper S before the RCZ which has the same engine and the tail pipes on that used to soot up incredibly quickly.

I found that using some Autosol metal polish on the tailpipes not only cleaned it off easily and gave them a nice shine, but it also seemed to stop it sticking to the pipes for a good while also. :)

RCZ1

Reaction score
Something that will give long term protection and make cleaning exhausts much easier is Gtechniq C5. It withstands temperatures up to 300 Centigrade.

Polish your exhausts. I use the Britemax twins and 00 wire wool to get them really clean and shiny. Ideally you should then use IPA or Carpro Eraser to wipe off any remaining oils before applying C5. Apply a very small amount on the little make up type pads and wipe on. Then wipe down immediately (not buff) the residue off.