What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

She Bangs

stewartwillsher

Reaction score
Having not WAFFLED for a bit, and provoked by the sound of fireworks coming from our village just over a kilometre away, I give you -
"The Banging Virgin".

In Spain, most villages, barrios of large towns or cities, or nationally, celebrate at the slightest excuse and declare a holiday.
This week, Nuestra Senora de Sopetran (Our Lady of Sopetran) is giving the village the excuse to skive off and have a Fiesta.

This brief extract from a web page description justifies, I think, the adoption by Jarandilla de la Vera, of this virgin.
[In Jarandilla Our Lady of Sopetrán is worshiped since 1667, the year in which there was a locust plague that ended the whole harvest; The Jarandillanos took a donkey and put two arrobas of wax in the saddlebags and two men as companions until the animal stopped after many days of marching in the Monastery of Villa de Hita, where the Virgin of Sopetrán was.
In the year 1732 they built the hermitage of the Virgin]

Anyway, a mix of old traditional and modern antics take place, for the enjoyment of all.
A stage is erected outside the ermita (sort of small chapel in her honour) for use in diverse events such as an auction to fund the ermita, music to all tastes (though not particularly mine), and folk dance display.
Being still a rural community, you have to take care not to get into the bidding for something live or in heavy sacks, or both!
Several processions take place on different days, with the effigy of the virgin being the focal point.
A tradition is that a bunch of blokes make a half hearted attempt at a rustic costume, and dance (sort of) backwards preceding her, and also making a poor attempt at a rhythm with castanets and/or sticks.
Their contribution is enhanced (possibly) by accompaniment on a drum and flute.
What makes these processions exciting (and we share from afar) is that as they pass, or pause at, strategic locations in the town, an official (nothing grand you understand) lets off a rocket or two which explode at not too high an altitude.
This we irreverently refer to as the "banging virgin".
With the route covering most streets, the banging can go on for a couple of hours.
I am pretty sure that some of the other events are signaled by bangs, so the echoing round the mountainside seems to almost be continuous at times.
One evening there was a rowdy concert, and another night a spectacular proper firework display lighting up the sky with pyrotechnics which we enjoyed from our balcony.

During the afternoon of each of the fiesta days, there is a road blocked with stalls and bouncy thingies (slides, castles, etc.) and also ball cages, for the kiddywinkies, including loads of sweets and drinks for all ages.
In the evening at the end of the same road are rides and attractions for the teens and unlit areas where the oiks can pursue the young ladies.
Another feature of all fiestas locally, this one included, are the peñas, which loosely translates as clubs.
They each occupy a garage under a house, which will be kitted out like a bar and to the dismay of parents, all get well stocked with booze, and depleted, by all, including kids, many just into their teens.
Most peñas, no matter the age group, will sport specially printed t-shirts with their name and motto, etc.
During the years we lived in the village, a stroll risked being dragged off the street and plied with wicked punch like concoctions.
Now, I can sit outside, listen at a distance, and watch the fireworks, with a glass of something and crawl back indoors when replete; much more civilised.
"Viva la virgin", they shout; and I'll drink to that!

Not sure I can spot the virgin in this Ricky Martin video of "She Bangs!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ihtX86JzmA

Plecodoras

Reaction score
stewartwillsher said:
Hey, Plec, are any of your aquaria populated with species like Ricky Martin's in the video above???
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Unfortunately No,

I have been trying to source some of the female type because I like the look of them, don't think I have a cat in hells chance of breeding any - the conditions have to be just right.

Though I have been studying them on " Siren " so you never know !!

stewartwillsher

Reaction score
Plecodoras said:
stewartwillsher said:
Hey, Plec, are any of your aquaria populated with species like Ricky Martin's in the video above???
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Unfortunately No,

I have been trying to source some of the female type because I like the look of them, don't think I have a cat in hells chance of breeding any - the conditions have to be just right.

Though I have been studying them on " Siren " so you never know !!

Not seen Sirens over here.
Dodgy lot, sirens; lure you onto the rocks and drag you down to Davy Jones locker, or some such myths. :twisted:
Quite fancied Glynis Johns in Miranda, before I knew any better - cripes, just checked, I really feel ancient; that film was in 1948. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Attachments

• miranda.jpg
    miranda.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 723