What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

shades of opal white

A

Anonymous

Hi all its been a while from posting on this forum :).

I still have my rcz hdi 2011 model she is now 2 1/2 yrs old with 6200 miles on the clock :)

Lately i am noticing that i have 3 different shades of white and i am starting to get concerned.

The car was never involved in an accident and it was bought as new. I dont know but what happened at the dealer.

1. The plastics have a shade of white, this is acceptable as plastic parts are quite difficult to match
2. The front bonnet, wings, door an boot lid are another shade of white.
3. The rear wings both of them left and right have another shade of white. This is the part were i think it shuld not be like that.

Have u noticed this on yours? I know that another very thread was being discussed once but it was for the pearl white. Have u ever noticed this on yours ? Pls let me know and thks :)

RCZ1

Reaction score
Can't speak for opal white but the front bumper, from the badge forward on Moroccan red is very obviously a different colour to the rest of the car.
As you say it's difficult to match paints exactly on the plastic bits.

A

Anonymous

That is ok for me but as in my post its not the plastic parts only not matching. The rear 2 wings, basically the half part of the car, which is made of metal, left and right except for the boot top part cover do not match with the rest of the car. I don't know if u are understanding me. The white is more yellowish then the rest of the other white.

A

Anonymous

Gatt,
I have the Opal white, and havent noticed any shading, not even on the plastic parts, which I know can be a pain for shading on any any make of car.
Almost 3 years on and the paint finish is still a crisp bright white.
I do wash it very often, and give a polish & wax, but thats only every few months.
The car did have Gardx applied from new, but I would imagine that after 3 years theres not a lot of protection left in that now.
I know some people do not like these paint protections, but I'm convinced my own Z's paint work is still in the condition it is in because it had the Gardx applied.

Have you used a cutting polish perhaps :eusa-think:
I also found out on here that even some wax's can affect white coloured cars, which surprised me.
RCZ1 will know more about this.

RCZ1

Reaction score
What do you use on your car Gatt as a wax or sealant?

Some waxes can make white paint go yellow especially if they have a high carnauba content.
It sounds like you need to give it a really good 2 stage machine machine polish to remove all the previous protection you have on the car and remove the old "skin" so to speak to rejuvenate the paint and give some life back to it.

A

Anonymous

i will try that it may be as u said I use carnuba wax. I will machine polish with my dual action buffer may be it's changing the colour as u said. the car has a number of passes of wax on it.

A

Anonymous

Do u know if the car is painted all together or the chassis is painted somewhere and the other parts like the doors, front bonnet, front wings are painted somewhere else?

A

Anonymous

One would hope that the car is sprayed as a complete job, but I doubt it because you can order in some of the plastic bits pre- painted.
I know that the mirror casings, mirror mounts, parking sensors and towing eye cover can be ordered pre-painted, so can other parts of the grill.

Also it's a slightly different process when you paint on plastic, different primers, drying times & temperatures would be needed, so because of this, I would imagine that the larger plastic bits are painted separately then matched to the car.
They would obviously mix the paints in the exact same amounts, but paint just reacts and dries slightly different on plastic. It's all in the polymers.

I think this is why its common to see plastic bumpers slightly different colour on some cars.
Also, depending on the colour of the car, it can make things stand out more from one colour to another.
In fairness though I dont think Peugeot are that far out on the colour match , I've seen far far worse.

The bumpers & mirrors on my neighbours brandnew Renault Megan are nothing like the colour of the main body, they are a very poor colour match.

Personally I would look at giving yours a good polishing back, and try a different wax.
I use DoDo Light Fantastic Wax, its made for lighter coloured paints, and Lime Prime Pre Wax Cleanser.

http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/dodo ... tAodIgUAIg

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wax/dodo- ... d_455.html

RCZ1 can advise on all of this, and how to remove old wax ect. :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

I'm not saying its your imagination, you know your car better than any of us, but just the shape of the rear quaters could be throwing off a different colour, due to contours and shadows.
The doors are flat in comparison, so perhaps this is throwing you out a bit. :eusa-think:

Then again I've not noticed anything like you describe on my Z.

I can, in your photo see a difference with the lower plastic sill, compared to the rest of the car, but if I'm honest the door and the rear wing look the same to me.
In fact I would say its only the sill that looks slightly "yellowish", and the front plastic bumper looks brightest of all the panels, even compared to the bonnet.

Its very difficult to make a comparison from a still photo to be honest.

A

Anonymous

I've just asked my son to come and look at the photo to see if he can point out any "yellowish" panels on your car from the photo, I didnt tell him which ones, and he agrees with you. :eusa-think:
He thinks the rear wing and plastic sill are yellowish compared to the door.
So I guess each individual will see things differently from the last person.

Just a thought here ok :eusa-think:
My mother recently purchased a new fridge and a matching freezer, in Diamond White, they stand side by side in her kitchen, but one looks yellowish compared to the other, so I swapped them around just to see, and hey presto, the one that looked the whitest now looks yellowish and the one that originally looked yellowish now looks the whitest.

She was having none of it, so had the "yellow" one replaced.
Next day a new one arrived, and yep, it was exactly the same, every time we swap them around one would look more yellow than the other.
I'm not saying you should trade your Z in for a white fridge, but it could be shadows and reflections playing tricks . :crazy:

A

Anonymous

Both sides are the same i dont think it was involved in some sort of accident before it was given to me. My thought is that the chassis is not painted with the other bits and the rear is part of the chassis so it gets painted elsewhere while the rest is painted together. I will surely give it a clean and will also machine polish as it was recommended but i dont think it make any difference.

RCZ1

Reaction score
I can see a slight difference in colour on the sill and the just in front of the rear arch coming across the top half of the door. But that could be reflections or just the way the light is bouncing off it.

As I said, my front bumper looks a different colour when the front of the car is in the shade. This is when it's really noticeable. Again it's down to light and shade and the way light is reflected.

A

Anonymous

I tend to agree with RCZ1.
Also you will pick up on things before anyone else and exaggerate it by 100, simply because it's playing on your mind.

It's the same if you have a tiny zit on your nose, but when you look in the mirror you think it looks like Mount Vesuvius about to erupt. :eek: :lol: :lol: :lol:

A

Anonymous

I have another white car its a pug 107 the facelifted model, its white, i dont see any difference between one panel and the other :). Maybe my eyes are playing tricks when looking at the rcz :):):):):)

Any one can confirm if all the body parts are painted together ?

A

Anonymous

I would put money on it that the plastic panels are painted seperatley.
How else could you order a bumper pre-painted ?

A

Anonymous

jactac said:
I would put money on it that the plastic panels are painted seperatley.
How else could you order a bumper pre-painted ?
I agree with you jactac. All the parts will arrive at the assembly plant pre painted ready as required to meet production requirements.

A

Anonymous

What about the other parts, doors, bonet, front wings - the metal parts are they all painted together including chassis? Can someone confirm please?

A

Anonymous

Theres no front wings as such, the bonnet folds over acting as a wing. All metal parts woul be painted as one. However, I've just looked on Peugeots service box and they list the bumpers as not pre~painted. But that doesnt mean they are painted the same time as the rest of the panels.

A

Anonymous

The front wing that i am referring to is that small sort of metal which is between the bonnet and the doors, which is located behind the the front wheels. For sure i dont think that the car is painted as a whole. The roof surely isn't :). But anyways thanks all for the help, the orange peel or as they call it seems to match. I willl verify further by checking an white opal rcz of a friend of mine.