What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Rusty rear caliper and so soon !!!

A

Anonymous

i noticed whilst washing the car earlier that the nearside rear wheel had a lot of rust stains that seem to be coming from the caliper.
It looks as though the caliper has been dripping rusty water onto the inside of the wheel for some time, which has then been spun around staining the whole of the wheel. We have had some heavy rain here for a few days, but for the calipers to be rusting this soon is a bit of a worry.
It looks bloody awful, especialy on a black solstice.

I'm sure i've read a posting about rusty calipers but cannot find it anywhere.

Any advice appreciated.

Another issue to bring up at my 1000 mile check up. :thumbdown:

A

Anonymous

I guess it looks something like this.. (found in a thread in the car care forum 'how to not wash your car' witha link to a car detailing forum)

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the pic, it looks a simular colour but i've got streaky rust marks running all the way around the inside of the wheel, i think this pic is showing more of a dust than rust, on mine i can actualy see where the watery rust is dripping from the caliper and the back plate that protects the disc and then onto the wheel.. :thumbdown:

There are threads on here that have had the same issue, it's just finding them !
I know that calipers will discolour with time, but to actualy rust is not good is it .
I've cleaned it all off now but when/if it happens again i will post a pic.

The car is booked in for it's 1000 mile check up this friday, so they can have a look at it then. :eusa-think:

A

Anonymous

Get some goo protectabt wax one those alloys. Any marks will just hose off :)

A

Anonymous

Figo said:
Get some goo protectabt wax one those alloys. Any marks will just hose off :)

I have be applying Auto Glym Alloy Wheel Protector, and the stains do wash off, but my real concern is the fact that there is rust coming from the calipers on a 6 week old car !

A

Anonymous

chrisj said:
http://peugeotrczforum.co.uk/rusty-hubs-t1833.html

That might be the post you were think of?

No problems with my hubs at all now I've painted them.

Chris

It looks as though the rust is coming from inside the caliper, where the pads are sitted, it then runs down onto the plate that protects the disc, then drips onto the wheel and is spun around on the inside of the wheel. :(

Just checked that link (thanks) and i can 100% confirm that no alloy wheel cleaners have been any where near my wheels, i just use water and a bit of Maguires wash & wax then finish off with some Auto Glym Protector (basicaly a wax).

Strange thing is it's only the one caliper, on close inspection i'm wandering if it's the actual small pins going through the pads or the steel spring that holds the pads in place that is rusting, :eusa-think: