What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Running in of new cars

A

Anonymous

I raised a query about the need for running in as a response to something jrs said on another thread so thought I'd search the 'net and found this on an AA site, dated June 2009:

•Begin with gentle town driving so all the major components, including brakes can bed in
•New tyres have a thin oily coating – a mixture of oils from the rubber and a release agent to prevent the tyre sticking to the manufacturing mould. Until this wears off, vehicle handling will feel different, especially in the wet
•Avoid harsh acceleration and heavy braking
•Don't let the engine speed exceed 3000 rpm if it's a diesel but make sure the revs regularly reach this limit
•For petrol engines stick to a 3000 rpm limit for the first 500-600 miles and then increase the upper limit to around 4000 rpm. Again, revs should regularly reach this limit.
•Avoid labouring the engine – by changing up too early for example
•Check the oil and coolant levels at least once a week – this is a new car so you don't know how much oil it will use. Oil consumption can be high for the first 6000 miles or so but but should slow, particularly if the car's been treated gently in the early days
After the first 1000 miles gradually use more of the car's performance.

A

Anonymous

Hi BangorRCZ, why are you not out playing with your new toy? I was going to put something down along those lines but you have beaten me to it. As I am from the old school and was always taught to be gentle (Running In) with new cars on the initial start up, so that is what I have always done. As you know, I ran my own driving school, and would change my car on average every 2 years. My first driving school car was the Nissan Micra and my last cars were Renault Clio’s. The new Renault Clio Handbook states.
Petrol version – For the first 600 miles do not exceed 78mph in the highest gear or 300 – 3.500 RPM. After 600 miles you may use your vehicle normally, although you may only expect top performance after approximately 1800 miles.
Diesel version – For the first 900 miles do not exceed 2500 RPM. After completing this mileage you may drive faster, although you may only expect top performance after approximately 3600 miles.
During the RUNNING IN period do not accelerate hard while the engine is still cold and do not let the engine over-rev.
From a motorcyclist point of view we always have to be careful with new tyres for the first 100 miles owing to the release agent and have always been very careful when riding out of the tyre bay. I know of numerous bikers that have dropped it on the forecourt.
I would also check your tyre pressures as I have just checked mine and found them to be out. My pressures for the 2.0HDI 163GT is 36.2psi FRONT and 29psi REAR. Other models may have different pressures, check with the sticker on the inside of the passenger door where it will give the tyre size and pressures, although they are in bar and not psi. :greetings-wavingblue:

A

Anonymous

jrs said:
Hi BangorRCZ, why are you not out playing with your new toy? :greetings-wavingblue:
Just back :D . Such a lovely day that I had to go out and get some snaps of my beauty in the sun which I will post shortly. Thanks for the further info. I'm a well-behaved (boring) driver in that I NEVER exceed the speed limit (having got a speeding ticket/penalty points about 12 years ago) so it won't be a problem remaining within the revs recommended although I wasn't aware of the tyre stuff. Thanks again :greetings-wavingblue:
Lorraine

FGRob

Reaction score
I don't think the AA were that far off what I said in your other thread regarding tyres & brakes, but have a look at the attached link with regard to a discussion which started about MPH then got on to discussion running in, especially the old school thinking how it does more harm than good. ;)

post2546.html?hilit=running in#p2546

Have a read of the link which is in there.

Rob.

A

Anonymous

FGRob said:
I don't think the AA were that far off what I said in your other thread regarding tyres & brakes, but have a look at the attached link with regard to a discussion which started about MPH then got on to discuss running in, especially the old school thinking how it does more harm than good. ;)

post2546.html?hilit=running in#p2546

Have a read of the link which is in there.

Rob.

Hi FGRob, thanks for the link. A varied sensible approach seems to be the order of the day with a hint of light hooliganism when fully warmed up. Having covered only 800 miles so far I tried this out last week at 3:30am on my way home from work on the motorway. Conditions were excellent, nothing on road except 2 cars way in the distance. Jennifer Hudson’s Spotlight blasting out on the JBL HiFi, stage 2 spoiler deployed, (at least I hope it was) xenon beam bouncing in the distance. I was catching them at a very nice pace. You guessed it! The car in front was the Police cruising at 65mph. As he had just gone past my exit I was able to slink off the motorway with no problem. Beware the perils of owning a fast car!!!!!

RCZ1

Reaction score
I always like to drive fairly sensibly for the first 1000 miles, with the odd moment of madness here and there :lol: