What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Running Hot

WillGee

Reaction score
I’ve just taken delivery of a 2012 RCZ 1.6. Only driven it for the 3rd time today and drove on the highway from my work which is about 15 kms. When I got home the engine was extremely hot, so much so that the bonnet was too hot to touch to open. Temp gauge registering 90. Engine fault light came on briefly, but then went off again. I let the engine cool a bit and then opened the plastic bottle cap. Water seemed to be sucked back into the bottle. Temp is quite warm here today 38 c, but surely it shouldn’t be running this hot. Anyone have any ideas? Quite concerned since I’ve only just got the car.

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Did the fans come on? Usually with overheating issues and some engine fault lights the fans go mad even after the engine is turned off. Is the heat shield still on the turbo? If this had been removed it could heat up the bonnet?

WillGee

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. The fan comes on, but not for very long. The heat shield on the turbo is there, but it seems as though this is where the heat is coming from.

nabiyev

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. The fan comes on, but not for very long. The heat shield on the turbo is there, but it seems as though this is where the heat is coming from.
Did you solve this? I am getting the bonnet hot after a drive does not matter how long i am driving it for. The heat is coming from turbo. There is no soundproofing installed in the bonnet, so not sure if it is normal. No erorrs etc.

lfe

Reaction score
Did you solve this? I am getting the bonnet hot after a drive does not matter how long i am driving it for. The heat is coming from turbo. There is no soundproofing installed in the bonnet, so not sure if it is normal. No erorrs etc.
The exhaust part of the turbo reaches very high temperatures, even close to 600 ºC. It's normal

That's why it's covered with a sheet to avoid burns, even so don't touch it with a hot engine.

That's why when the engine stops, in a quiet environment, you will hear a small noise from an electric pump that keeps cooling the turbo.

RCZs with petrol engine do not have acoustic insulation in the bonnet.

Verminator

Staff member
Reaction score
There has been many RCZ that have caught on fire not to scare you but I think you need to look at things very closely don't have nightmares drive safe and stay lucky 🍀 IMG-20200726-WA0019.jpgIMG-20200726-WA0018.jpgIMG-20200726-WA0018.jpgIMG-20200726-WA0016.jpgIMG-20200726-WA0017.jpg

ONLY AEK

Reaction score
its a common fault the failure of the electric pump that cools the turbo
My dealer called me to check it out
there are a few Z's that the pump stuck open and caught fire
but that's not why your bonnet is unusually hot
if you have the turbo shield on and no sun is hitting your bonnet (especially if it's black) then you should be able to touch it everytime without going to the emeregency room

Mmm

Reaction score
I’ve just taken delivery of a 2012 RCZ 1.6. Only driven it for the 3rd time today and drove on the highway from my work which is about 15 kms. When I got home the engine was extremely hot, so much so that the bonnet was too hot to touch to open. Temp gauge registering 90. Engine fault light came on briefly, but then went off again. I let the engine cool a bit and then opened the plastic bottle cap. Water seemed to be sucked back into the bottle. Temp is quite warm here today 38 c, but surely it shouldn’t be running this hot. Anyone have any ideas? Quite concerned since I’ve only just got the car.

Mmm

Reaction score
Hi to your question… I also have a 2012 model and found the bonnet especially inside gets sooo hot! I’m concerned too as the cars light inside comes up saying it needs coolant? What’s that’s about? Can someone help with an answer?

Mmm

Reaction score
its a common fault the failure of the electric pump that cools the turbo
My dealer called me to check it out
there are a few Z's that the pump stuck open and caught fire
but that's not why your bonnet is unusually hot
if you have the turbo shield on and no sun is hitting your bonnet (especially if it's black) then you should be able to touch it everytime without going to the emeregency room

Mmm

Reaction score
Just asking if the bonnet inside should have a lining? Mines doesn’t and it gets ridiculously hot!!

lfe

Reaction score
Just asking if the bonnet inside should have a lining? Mines doesn’t and it gets ridiculously hot!!

Petrol RCZs do not originally have acoustic insulation on the bonnet.

Also if it were insulated the motor would run even hotter.

The risk of fire is increased in any turbocharged engine, in no case is it exclusive to the RCZ

Pedro

Reaction score
These engines run extremely hot as do a lot of modern cars this is why in some cases if your stuck in traffic in the rain you will see steam on the bonnet