What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

RCZ wannabe

Evers

Reaction score
Hi, so happy I found you I'm reading as much as I can (like a man possessed), caught the RCZ bug and trying to find the cure and increase my education. Found a few examples but not don't feel knowledgeable enough to pull the trigger yet.

I don't do huge long drawn out motorway miles, mainly shorts trips on country roads, I was leaning towards the diesel (found a possible candidate) as the diesel gives me more confidence reliability wise in the long term but my concerns are using a diesel for mainly shorter country drives , will this actually cause more problems for a diesel or is it more to do with not getting the efficiency out of a diesel if not motorway driving so much?

What would be your advice be regarding diesel or petrol specifically for none motorway shorter journey trips/driving style.

I want one so badly but pooping myself a bit not to buy a problem, I'm not a wealthy man 🤔

Thanks again for any advice you can give and so happy I found this forum, I've been awake since 4 am with RCZ questions floating around my mind 😂

Verminator

Staff member
Reaction score
Well you have come to the right place for any information you need..
If you are going to be doing not a lot of mileage in a year as long as you have got a choice of thp and Hdi. I have a Hdi and only did 1200 miles from mot to mot but it gets serviced when it's done and I give it a good blast from time to time keeps the dpf clean.. As for the petrol regular oil changes helps prevent a good number of the problems..
So happy hunting

Evers

Reaction score
Well you have come to the right place for any information you need..
If you are going to be doing not a lot of mileage in a year as long as you have got a choice of thp and Hdi. I have a Hdi and only did 1200 miles from mot to mot but it gets serviced when it's done and I give it a good blast from time to time keeps the dpf clean.. As for the petrol regular oil changes helps prevent a good number of the problems..
So happy hunting
Thanks so much for that information, every little bit I can learn helps. I drove a 2012 Hdi today, felt responsive enough to me but I noticed a little thing, from standing and into first accelerating hard, revs seamed to drop as needle was getting near redline, in to 2nd 3rd etc no problem. Would this sound like an issue or is there some sort of limiter to stop you blowing the engine? Could have just been a little cough but obviously I need to investigate.

Following on from your reply, sounds like it's not a big issue if I get diesel and don't do motorway driving, so here is the deciding question. Regardless of driving style and looking at it from a future perspective regarding reliability and thoughts on owning a diesel as we go into a cleaner future where by diesels will probably start get penalised with extra tax etc, would the experienced RCZ owner buy Hdi or a thp if both were of same age 2013 with same milage around 55k ? I understand there can be other factors involved but trying to keep it simplified then at least I can zoom in on the diesel route or petrol.

Thank you so much for your previous help, it is hugely appreciated.

Thanks.

Claret63

Reaction score
For a daily, I would have the diesel, great engine and bullet proof, yes it doesn’t meet ULEZ but unless you live in London no problem in my opinion.

Everyone speculating about tax increase's etc think we are a long way of that yet, no one knows really how it’s going to go.

I don’t care about the so called electric revolution I just can’t see how any government can force more financial burden on people to change.

Evers

Reaction score
Thanks for that, edging back towards the diesel now, no city driving planned especially not London.
Thanks for your help.

Kyemin

Reaction score
Thanks for that, edging back towards the diesel now, no city driving planned especially not London.
Thanks for your help.
Let me get the dice rolling then, add to the confusion. I have a THP200. When people talk about short drives, that means severe conditions for the engine. Funny thing is that most, a big percentage, of the people, drive their cars in severe condition. For it not to be severe, you'd have to drive 60km each trip, and who does that?
So, in the end, everyone has their RCZ's driven in severe conditions, minus a few exceptions.
Myself, I do very short trips most of the time, sometimes, not even enough to get my engine to normal temperature. I live 5 to 7 minutes away from my job. Sometimes I go get my wife, she works 15 to 20 minutes away. Couldn't be much shorter than that for any car, specially an RCZ.
As "Obi-Wan" Verminator said, it's important to once a couple of months, to strech the legs of the car. Word is to do those 60 Km at 3000RPM at least, to achieve a nice engine temperature and oil well all those parts while blasting out the bad stuff. So as you can see, it's something every owner should do once in a while, regardless of the fuel type.
Concerning that, let it be known, diesel cars suffer a lot more from short trips then gasoline cars, mainly, because diesel is a lot dirtier than gasoline. If you put a good gasoline, with high octanes and cleaning adittives, you should do ok. One botle of STP for injector cleaning every oil change doesn't harm also.
Talking about engines, the Diesel one is considerated more reliable but that's not a given, as well, there are thousands of THP engines around the world that never had a problem, not even timing chains or whatever problems it's known for.
Using math to add variables, one reaches some simple conclusions.
Remap the car is very nice for the moment, but puts strain on the engine that's not supposed to work that way. So problems come.
Change exhaust, move or remove catalitics, puts strain on the engine that's not supposed to work that way. So problems come.
Using the wrong oil or not changing it by preventing on severe conditions (and we already established that most of the cars are in severe conditions) brings wear to the engine, helps carbon glue to it, and it's not supposed to work that way. So problems come.
Changing engine air filter to a "sporty" one that allows more air to enter the engine, puts strain on the engine that's not supposed to work that way. So problems come.
Not using the right engine coolant or not verify and change it every so many miles or kilometers, puts strain on the engine that's not supposed to work that way. So problems come.
And I could be here all night.
If you want to buy an RCZ, just think of this. It's an experience like very few. You need to be responsible, to love your car and give it all he/she asks from you, many times, before he/she even asks.
In the end, you need to treat it like cars should be treated, and the RCZ will never let you down.
Of course, you won't be buying a new one so be very carefull on the previous owners. Listen to their story, to the car story. Where it came, who used it, what was it used for, service history, accident history, everything.
If the guy is a racer, think twice.
If the guy is a tuner, think twice.
If the guy is a slob, think twice.
Get an OBD II reader and connect it to the car before you buy. See if any errors show up. If so, what errors. We are here to help. Don't be hasty.
As for the motorization choice, if you want a normal gasoline car, get an THP156. If you want a fast gasoline car, get a THP200. If you want a racing car, get an RCZ-R. If you want something to illude you into thinking you have a real RCZ, get a Diesel. (Just because you'll miss most of the thrill of constantly loving your car with a false sense of security, because the diesel is a real RCZ, just a different breed).
One thing you must keep in mind if you're not a wealthy person like I'm not too. It's an expensive car to take care of, specially if you ignore my advices. Brakes cost more than usual, drivetrains even more, timing chains also, tyres 19" are crazy expensive compared to the regular joe's 15" or even the 18" many RCZ's have, oil has to be specific and it's not exactly cheap, specially if you get one with leaks, change every 6 months. Spark plugs are all the same, basically only one brand but you should change them every year if you want your engine to last "forever", carbon cleaning can be quite expensive if you get one with such problems, etc.
So, when you decide to buy one, buy one expecting for the best but preparing for the worst.
One thing is absolutly for sure, it's a marvelous beautiful car to own, it's a fantastic and safe car to drive and it's a passion that will only grow on you because all the love you give to it will be returned many times on the road, when you park it, when you walk away from it, when you arrive back to it, when you turn it on again, when you wait for the engine to heat up and when you finally can hit the pedal and that turbo kicks in, with you spoiler opening without you seeing or just because you pressed a button, and that large chassis will become a racing kart on steroids. Remember to always predict other drivers because most of them don't think you gonna be right by their side in the second they took off their eyes from the rearview mirror.
But do it. Choose your car, follow the advices and do it. Even if it takes a little longer that you expected or think you can handle, because is trully an experience you won't forget. Ever. ;)

I hope this helped. :)

Evers

Reaction score
Let me get the dice rolling then, add to the confusion. I have a THP200. When people talk about short drives, that means severe conditions for the engine. Funny thing is that most, a big percentage, of the people, drive their cars in severe condition. For it not to be severe, you'd have to drive 60km each trip, and who does that?
So, in the end, everyone has their RCZ's driven in severe conditions, minus a few exceptions.
Myself, I do very short trips most of the time, sometimes, not even enough to get my engine to normal temperature. I live 5 to 7 minutes away from my job. Sometimes I go get my wife, she works 15 to 20 minutes away. Couldn't be much shorter than that for any car, specially an RCZ.
As "Obi-Wan" Verminator said, it's important to once a couple of months, to strech the legs of the car. Word is to do those 60 Km at 3000RPM at least, to achieve a nice engine temperature and oil well all those parts while blasting out the bad stuff. So as you can see, it's something every owner should do once in a while, regardless of the fuel type.
Concerning that, let it be known, diesel cars suffer a lot more from short trips then gasoline cars, mainly, because diesel is a lot dirtier than gasoline. If you put a good gasoline, with high octanes and cleaning adittives, you should do ok. One botle of STP for injector cleaning every oil change doesn't harm also.
Talking about engines, the Diesel one is considerated more reliable but that's not a given, as well, there are thousands of THP engines around the world that never had a problem, not even timing chains or whatever problems it's known for.
Remap the car is very nice for the moment, but puts strain on the engine that's not supposed to work that way. So problems come.
Change exhaust, move or remove catalitics, puts strain on the engine that's not supposed to work that way. So problems come.
Using the wrong oil or not changing it by preventing on severe conditions (and we already established that most of the cars are in severe conditions) brings wear to the engine, helps carbon glue to it, and it's not supposed to work that way. So problems come.
Changing engine air filter to a "sporty" one that allows more air to enter the engine, puts strain on the engine that's not supposed to work that way. So problems come.
Not using the right engine coolant or not verify and change it every so many miles or kilometers, puts strain on the engine that's not supposed to work that way. So problems come.
If you want to buy an RCZ, just think of this. It's an experience like very few. You need to be responsible, to love your car and give it all he/she asks from you, many times, before he/she even asks.
In the end, you need to treat it like cars should be treated, and the RCZ will never let you down.
Of course, you won't be buying a new one so be very carefull on the previous owners. Listen to their story, to the car story. Where it came, who used it, what was it used for, service history, accident history, everything.
Get an OBD II reader and connect it to the car before you buy. See if any errors show up. If so, what errors. We are here to help. Don't be hasty.
As for the motorization choice, if you want a normal gasoline car, get an THP156. If you want a fast gasoline car, get a THP200. If you want a racing car, get an RCZ-R. If you want something to illude you into thinking you have a real RCZ, get a Diesel. (Just because you'll miss most of the thrill of constantly loving your car with a false sense of security, because the diesel is a real RCZ, just a different breed).
One thing you must keep in mind if you're not a wealthy person like I'm not too. It's an expensive car to take care of, specially if you ignore my advices. Brakes cost more than usual, drivetrains even more, timing chains also, tyres 19" are crazy expensive compared to the regular joe's 15" or even the 18" many RCZ's have, oil has to be specific and it's not exactly cheap, specially if you get one with leaks, change every 6 months. Spark plugs are all the same, basically only one brand but you should change them every year if you want your engine to last "forever", carbon cleaning can be quite expensive if you get one with such problems, etc.
So, when you decide to buy one, buy one expecting for the best but preparing for the worst.
One thing is absolutly for sure, it's a marvelous beautiful car to own, it's a fantastic and safe car to drive and it's a passion that will only grow on you because all the love you give to it will be returned many times on the road, when you park it, when you walk away from it, when you arrive back to it, when you turn it on again, when you wait for the engine to heat up and when you finally can hit the pedal and that turbo kicks in, with you spoiler opening without you seeing or just because you pressed a button, and that large chassis will become a racing kart on steroids. Remember to always predict other drivers because most of them don't think you gonna be right by their side in the second they took off their eyes from the rearview mirror.
But do it. Choose your car, follow the advices and do it. Even if it takes a little longer that you expected or think you can handle, because is trully an experience you won't forget. Ever. ;)

Absolutely outstanding information, your explanation of server condition driving makes sense, so nice to be able to tap into such knowledge, especially when spending money. To be honest I'm already getting a lot of enjoyment just by the search, I'm starting to get closer to deciding on model, year and price range but not found the exact car yet. So far I've only driven an HDI 2012 (that was today) but I'd really like at least a 2013, I understand they did a few changes for the better, would you say the changes they made effected the car enough to try to get a 13 over a 12?

Thanks again for your help and advice, it's incredibly helpful.

Kyemin

Reaction score
Absolutely outstanding information, your explanation of server condition driving makes sense, so nice to be able to tap into such knowledge, especially when spending money. To be honest I'm already getting a lot of enjoyment just by the search, I'm starting to get closer to deciding on model, year and price range but not found the exact car yet. So far I've only driven an HDI 2012 (that was today) but I'd really like at least a 2013, I understand they did a few changes for the better, would you say the changes they made effected the car enough to try to get a 13 over a 12?

Thanks again for your help and advice, it's incredibly helpful.
I cannot tell you they didn't, because they did, but to my knowledge, the biggest changes came in 2012 so you have a window there for the pre-facelift. And I'm talking petrol, because diesel didn't have big issues. As I said, two different beasts from different parents of different breeds. Note that the diesel is not much slower than a THP200. Both were tested on circuit by Peugeot Sport and it's not a big difference in the long run, although, of course, the THP200 is faster.
With that said, the most important thing is the car history and ownership. When someone says all chronic issues are solved, ask yourself why. It's probably because they had the issues so it's not exactly a stamp of quality to have them fixed.
Personally, I wouldn't buy a 2010 or 2011, but I got myself a 2012 because I prefer the pre-facelift and found the perfect opportunity. It wasn't cheap but it's a brand new RCZ as Peugeot itself said just this week when I got it there for a oil change, spark plugs and full revision.
I didn't connect OBD before buying. I didn't even test drive the car. I got the imprint from the owner, the service history, did a cold start, checked the floor underneath the space the car was parked for oil stains, put my hand on the turbo before anything to check if it was cold and I wasn't being played. Tires to see if it were unbalanced wasted. Interior to see if the owner cared for the car.
All signs were positive so I bought it.
I would never buy from a dealership because they come with warranties but a lot of monkey business.
Also. Why is it being sold.
The previous owner of mine was in tears when his last moment with the car came and he ran away after saying goodbye. If someone is enthusiastic about selling you an RCZ, think twice. RCZ's are cars that most people never want to sell. Only when it has problems and it's time to get rid of them. But there are some cases like mine, where the owner was building a new house, wasn't being lucky enough to sell the old one, and needed the money because it was his weekend car and the family car was the priority.
So more important than anything, is to find those reasons, see those signs, aim for the right thing and not specifications only. You can find a 2015 RCZ-R absolutely beautiful for the right price, but then you open a can of worms, and you can find a scratched and dented 2012 with absolute perfect mechanic history and reality.
See if the story fits the paint job, see if the floor where it sleeps is as clean as where it can't reach, touch that turbo before you start it for the first time, listen to the cold start for bumps and wind noises, see if the car gets clean and cared and you should be good to go.

Kenneth

Reaction score

Spot on. They need taken for a good gallop a couple of times a week if you only routinely do town driving. And they need regular fluid changes no matter what. I’ve got a 200 and it’s brilliant to drive. Pulls hard in every gear it’s downright quick when wanted. And it copes with twisty roads better than anything else I’ve driven. Looks good. Goes good. They are quite a rare sight. Just enjoy them.

Michael bull

Reaction score
Hi, so happy I found you I'm reading as much as I can (like a man possessed), caught the RCZ bug and trying to find the cure and increase my education. Found a few examples but not don't feel knowledgeable enough to pull the trigger yet.

I don't do huge long drawn out motorway miles, mainly shorts trips on country roads, I was leaning towards the diesel (found a possible candidate) as the diesel gives me more confidence reliability wise in the long term but my concerns are using a diesel for mainly shorter country drives , will this actually cause more problems for a diesel or is it more to do with not getting the efficiency out of a diesel if not motorway driving so much?

What would be your advice be regarding diesel or petrol specifically for none motorway shorter journey trips/driving style.

I want one so badly but pooping myself a bit not to buy a problem, I'm not a wealthy man 🤔

Thanks again for any advice you can give and so happy I found this forum, I've been awake since 4 am with RCZ questions floating around my mind 😂
Hi I own a diesel like you say great for long journeys get twice the mileage but I do a lot of short trips but never had a problem with it.petrol one is ok but are prone to problems with the engine.brought mine back in 2016 only done 53000 to date just changed the cambelt for peace of mind as the car is a 2013 over 10 years ond now still goes like a rocket.got any questions please feel free to ask