What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

RCZ R Major Oil Leak

A

Anonymous

Hello! :greetings-wavingblue:

I don't often post on here - but this has been a hot topic over on the Group's Facebook page. Thought I'd document my recent experience on the Forum so that others can benefit in case they come across this in the future.

After a journey back from West Sussex to West Berkshire (mainly motorway cruising at 65mpg getting 42mpg) i found a lot of black spots all over the rear bumper and spoiler. Had a look around the car and found a substantial amount of oil pouring from the right side of the engine. By 'pouring' i mean, it wasn't a little drip or trickle.. it was a steady stream which had then covered the underside of the car whilst driving. Not a pretty sight! :wtf:

I parked her in the garage and over night she oozed the remaining oil in her engine all over the floor. Checked the dipstick and it was bone dry (even though car saying Oil Level Correct!). :eusa-think:

I emailed my favored Peugeot dealership (Martin's Peugeot Winchester) with pics and they soon called me and explained my options. Car couldn't be started (and as over a year old, had no Peugeot Assistance left). Called my breakdown cover included in my insurance, which covered home start and they said they'd gladly take me to any garage I wanted for no extra charge. Score! :thumbup: I called Peugeot back and arranged a time to have her brought in and when i would be able to get a hire car - they very kindly were able to squeeze me in at short notice.

Car was pushed out of the garage, and pulled onto the flatbed (such a sorry sight!) She continued to drizzle oil all over the flatbed as she want! Westbourne recovery guy was beyond excellent and treated my baby with care and attention. I also felt safe and happy in the situation - he was super nice! When we arrived, four men at Peugeot came and pushed her into a space until she could be looked at.

I had a hire car booked out for 3 days, as they didn't know how long my R would be in :cry: (308 diesel - very nice ride!). However, the master technician i usually deal with said he had an idea of what it might be - which was reassuring. Later the same day I had a call from Peugeot to say they had replaced the timing chain tensioner seal.

When i picked her up the aftersales manager explained that this was a common issue on 'early' Rs, however, as mine was apparently a 'late' R - it shouldn't have happened. He informed me they had reported it to Peugeot, can't imagine its great if a fix for a common issue is later found not to have fixed the common issue. This was covered under manufacturers warranty. The car was 17 months' old with 16k on the clock at the time.

I hope this little (looking a bit long now!) story helps someone somewhere down the line... especially if you have an R out of warranty - if this was a common issue, then make sure you mention that when you take the car in and Peugeot may be able to cover some costs. :thumbup:

Attachments

• IMG_2653.JPG
    IMG_2653.JPG
    17.9 KB · Views: 3,956
  • IMG_2658.JPG
    IMG_2658.JPG
    22 KB · Views: 3,956
  • IMG_2660.JPG
    IMG_2660.JPG
    15.5 KB · Views: 3,957
  • IMG_2666.JPG
    IMG_2666.JPG
    16.3 KB · Views: 3,956

tianorth

Reaction score
Hi Sophie glad that it is all sorted.

Do you think she spat her dummy out because you only cleaned the outside of the car? :eek: :eek:

DKZ5745

Reaction score
:text-goodpost:

I think the R got jealous because your profile Avatar is of a Mk1 :eusa-shhh:

A

Anonymous

DKZ5745 said:
:text-goodpost:

I think the R got jealous because your profile Avatar is of a Mk1 :eusa-shhh:

haha - cant work out how to change it! all my pics are 'too big' :roll:

renegade79

Reaction score
I would expect all R's to be still under manufacturers warranty since they were only released in 2014! Glad you got it sorted and the dealer provided good service!

RCZ-R

Reaction score
Glad to hear your R is back on the road!

But what exactly was the cause of her wetting the garage floor?

A

Anonymous

RCZ-R said:
Glad to hear your R is back on the road!

But what exactly was the cause of her wetting the garage floor?

Apparently the Timing Chain Tensioner Seal was to blame.. not sure if it had broken, degraded, or just vanished... !

DKZ5745

Reaction score
The lengths some people will go to just to get a free oil change :wtf: