What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

RCZ - R coolant Dump

BrunoR

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a strange little thing going on.

So while happily driving around on Sunday afternoon, all of a sudden my temp reaches 120 and the car tells me to stop. Obviously I did so, and first thing I did was open the hood, found the turbo red hot and water was spilling for under the car.

Got the car towed to my mechanic, and told him the symptoms, he decided to perform a vacuum test and the car showed no clues of any leak in the cooling system.

We filled her up with coolant, since a lot was missing, and I got happily on my way......now obviously keeping my eyes peeled on the temp gauge…...car reaches 90deg, thermostat opens, temp lowers a bit and stays happy at 90deg.

After a month using the car, all was well and this never happened again.

Then all of a sudden, yesterday, it did the same thing....temp went up, had space where to pullover safely, coolant was being dumped from under front bumper, I took out my torch and tried to see from where the water was being dumped from......I couldn't see much. I let her cool and opened the coolant bottle, there was pressure since coolant came back up at me, but then once pressure was lost it went down again. I had an extra can of coolant and the engine took 2 litres of coolant, closed the tap and got on my way, with no issues.

Has anyone experienced this? Cause we are properly baffled.

Thanks!!

Grimreaper

Reaction score
I would replace thermostat housing as
1) possible thermostat getting stuck sometimes.
2) also where cooling fans running?
I wouldn’t keep driving it know I have a chance of car overheating without doing anything about it. Would easily damage engine.
I would change the thermostat housing assembly if that was my car.

RCZ-R

Reaction score
I'd too start with the thermostat. On the R engine this piece of "valve" is controlled electronically by the engine's ECU. So it opens and closes by commands sent by the ECU.

Pedro

Reaction score
Mines just started to fail coolant level dropping out somewhere but no temp raised on gauge ? checked it 3 times after journeys & on the last drop I opened the cap & could hear air being sucked in around about where the Tank sits so its failed & maybe bleed screw is weeping out water (cracked) just ordered a new one on ebay £25.00 with a discount code exact OEM part no so I'm happy I found the problem in time :)

BrunoR

Reaction score
Dear all,

thanks for your kind replies,

fans go on normally, once there is coolant in the system.

Does anyone have a part number for the thermostat housing?

Also if I may ask, where is the thermostat housing located?

What about the actual thermostat? - does this fail?

To be the devil's advocate - if I performed a vacuum test, wouldn't I loose vacuum if the thermostat housing is cracked?

Thanks in advance

BrunoR

Reaction score
Mines just started to fail coolant level dropping out somewhere but no temp raised on gauge ? checked it 3 times after journeys & on the last drop I opened the cap & could hear air being sucked in around about where the Tank sits so its failed & maybe bleed screw is weeping out water (cracked) just ordered a new one on ebay £25.00 with a discount code exact OEM part no so I'm happy I found the problem in time :)

bleed screw? where is this located please?

RCZ-R

Reaction score
Dear all,

To be the devil's advocate - if I performed a vacuum test, wouldn't I loose vacuum if the thermostat housing is cracked?

Thanks in advance

The thermostat on your R engine is nothing but the usual, old school bi-metal thermostats which you could easily swap out in 5 minutes.
If you are not an experienced mechanic with up-to-date tools at your hand, you will have hard times to check if that part works correctly. It is a multi-chamber device controlled via car's ECU. It opens and closes electronically based on the signals received. There is not much about pure physics like in the old days.

Pedro

Reaction score
Dear all,

Thanks in advance
The Part Nos for the thermostat housing are OEM No 9808647080/V64558180 please make sure the last No beginning with the letter V corresponds to your exact make & model due to differentials in the parts fitted to your car during the year of build I believe they upgraded the connection system for the plug in socket after a certain year of Manufacture for these tanks the connection leads are different on some variants!
Always check & double check to make sure its the right one 👍

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Thermostat housing on right hand side of engine looking from front of car bleed screw just in front of it. It sounds to me as though it could be your turbo cooling pump which are known to fail and there are a few early cars that ha a possible fault which can be done as a recall but a check on your VIN by your dealer should tell you if yours is one of the cars affected