What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

RCZ R - Chain tensioner noise.

A

Anonymous

I bought new RCZ R 6 weeks ago, I got a good dscount because they had had for some time.
When cold I get mechanical rattle / knock from engine front end ( left hand when viewed from front ), it's negligible when the engine is hot.
I understand there was a problem with the chain tensioner which has now been countermeasured, therefore latest engines do not have an issue.
I've booked it in Main agent to check.
My engine number WARZ0390954
As background can you please help, is the engine pre or post design countermeasure ?.
Has anybody else had a similar issue ?.

pete.garratt

Reaction score
I've had my R for a year and 6 weeks (nearly 14000 miles) and I've not noticed this on mine.

Given the engine is re-worked for the R, I would anticipate that any mitigation for the timing chain issue is embedded - but don't know for sure one way or the other.

Also, can't remember anyone reporting it, either.

A

Anonymous

Just had mine done on the Magnetic - apparently it's becoming more common by the month ! :clap:

RCZ-R

Reaction score
Clocked over 33.000 miles on my R. Mine is one of the first batch that arrived on the market.
No issues with the chain at all.

If the THP works a bit harsh in cold, check the oil level. This engine needs to stay topped up to maximum all the time.

pete.garratt

Reaction score
Chain issues with this engine series have been well known across Mini, Citroen & Peugeot since it was first introduced circa 2007/2008.

My previous 207 git had it in 2009, however my previous 200gt 'Z didn't.

Equally, my current R (16500 miles) hasn't yet.

Like RCZ-R, mine must have been one of the earlier ones in the UK (only 77 registered when I got mine).

There have been modifications to fix this, so later examples should be better. I guess there could be older cars who have yet to develop this issue (my supposition).