What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

RCZ R Bimota 300 bhp Top Gear

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Would like to know the stats for that. Not too sure about the paintwork though.

Interesting to read the comments. :eusa-think:

NATSPLATNAT

Reaction score
When I had the privilege of going out to Nice for the test-drive of the R, we were given the same launch speech / technical discussion as the journalists and they confirmed that they had 'limited / restricted' the bhp on the R. I did ask why and whether it meant there were plans to bring out a 300bhp version in the future. I was answered with a shrug and a wry smile!!

stagger321

Reaction score
Yeah, there's a youtube vid I posted in another thread here:
http://www.peugeotrczforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=9065&p=110955&hilit=belfast#p110955

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8VuJdByfzQ[/youtube]

WRT the "is or isn't" PSA going to release a 300bhp version of this car - I very much doubt it.
The RCZ is niche enough as it is, and I can only see "special editions"/One-offs coming out of company's for marketing purposes - like this Bimota offering.
Plus PSA CEO has already indicated that they will be focusing their efforts on mainstream and sporting derivatives of mainstream (GTI etc), as the company is having cash flow issues (as per recent press stories).

There have been other discussions on this forum about getting more gee-gee's out of the 'R's engine, with some saying that its on the design limit as it is. I have always disagreed with this. I totally see that 300bhp is possible (as above) and sustainable, with what is the completely reworked internals (pistons, conn-rods, crank etc) that Peugeot sport put in place. After all there are a number of people running 250BHP out of their (prev stock 200bhp) RCZ's after remaps + inlet + exhaust mods.
So this little Italian offering does not surprise me.

stagger321

Reaction score
The result is an engine remap, a new exhaust system and a new blow-off valve (stop giggling) for the turbo.
So one for RCZ-Performance :thumbup: (with tongue firmly lodged in cheek :twisted:)
So when is my local Banbury based performance stockist going to be offering these?

tianorth

Reaction score
If they are making special editions I'd would be interested in a diesel / electric hybrid, £0 road tax:p
Before they stop making the RCZ.

RCZ-R

Reaction score
stagger321 said:
There have been other discussions on this forum about getting more gee-gee's out of the 'R's engine, with some saying that its on the design limit as it is. I have always disagreed with this. I totally see that 300bhp is possible (as above) and sustainable, with what is the completely reworked internals (pistons, conn-rods, crank etc) that Peugeot sport put in place. After all there are a number of people running 250BHP out of their (prev stock 200bhp) RCZ's after remaps + inlet + exhaust mods.

Absolutely. I have been talking to a serious tuning company running RCZs in the GT series and they told me, you can push the R engine up to 310bhp without issues. But going beyond 300bhp requires the exhaust system (after downpipe) to be modified. Thus what we see here on that Bimota version.

stagger321

Reaction score
RCZ-R said:
stagger321 said:

Absolutely. I have been talking to a serious tuning company running RCZs in the GT series and they told me, you can push the R engine up to 310bhp without issues. But going beyond 300bhp requires the exhaust system (after downpipe) to be modified. Thus what we see here on that Bimota version.
I'd be interested to know what they have done on on the exhaust system for this Bimota R.
The change to the inlet (filter, dump valve etc) is fairly self explanatory.
The remap is what it is.
But what have they done for the exhaust system prior to the remap?. Just replaced the back box and associated twin pipes, or front box + back box etc, or the whole shebang (including removal of the Cat I assume).
I know you in particular push your R pretty hard mate, and at some point maybe temptation will make you want to go for an upgrade, unless you ditch the car. In my case, at this point, I couldn't justify it.
Aside from anything else I wouldn't do this until the 3yr warranty is over anyway in a couple of years.
If you are to take the brave pill at some point let us know in advance, because I will be very interested in the results.
Also, you will be my official hero :thumbup:

RCZ-R

Reaction score
stagger321 said:
I'd be interested to know what they have done on on the exhaust system for this Bimota R.
The change to the inlet (filter, dump valve etc) is fairly self explanatory.
The remap is what it is.
But what have they done for the exhaust system prior to the remap?. Just replaced the back box and associated twin pipes, or front box + back box etc, or the whole shebang (including removal of the Cat I assume).
I know you in particular push your R pretty hard mate, and at some point maybe temptation will make you want to go for an upgrade, unless you ditch the car. In my case, at this point, I couldn't justify it.
Aside from anything else I wouldn't do this until the 3yr warranty is over anyway in a couple of years.
If you are to take the brave pill at some point let us know in advance, because I will be very interested in the results.
Also, you will be my official hero :thumbup:

Ha, ha, be your hero, I like that :greetings-wavingblue: I will push to meet your expectations :thumbup:
I plan to keep the R for like 3 to max 4 years. During this period I will put about 100-120.000 miles on it (currently I average at about 32k a year).
Warranty runs out after 2 years. So for those first 2 years I won't touch it beside removing the 157mph speed limiter (which literally annoys me all the time while driving on ze german autobahns).

From what I learnt the exhaust has been completely rebuilt, but the downpipe and cat remained in place. I'm talking about the tuning company I got in touch with. Not that Bimota here. Most probably also Bimota did the same as the stock down pipe and catalyst are really huge and capable of blasting a lot of exhaust thru them.

Having already learnt a lot about the R's capabilities the only thing that really concerns me is the 12k service interval. Especially the engine oil. I know, it is 21st century technology and generally speaking I'm not a chicken when it comes to maintaining cars, but the R's engine develops ridiculous running temperatures when pushed hard. The turbo and the whole downpipe glowing bright red. And all this running on some "stock" 5W30 oil. I don't know, I mean Pug Sport got to know what they are doing. They even claim, their RCZ GT series will run on the newest Total 0W30 oil this season, instead of the 5W50 they used before. Also Mobil 1 is introducing a new range of semipro oils running on 0W30 too. We will see.

Knocking on wood, until now there is absolutely no oil consumption on my R. No matter what I do to her, she's not drinking :lol:

I cannot drive boring cars on daily basis just for the sake of running costs. That is why I always opt for a fun-to-drive car first and then have a look on the costs. If I cannot afford it for some reason I will start actions to make it affordable instead of missing out on such a car. This is what brought me to the R over other cars like the Golf R or Focus ST. Yes, the Focus is cheaper to run, but not as engaging to drive as the RCZ. Yes, the Golf might have a little bit more grunt and be a little bit cheaper to run (oh yes, the RCZ R is expensive to run on daily basis) but the Golf has a very boring appearance and is not as entertaining to drive like the RCZ R.

What do I want to tell here? The RCZ R is really a hell of a driver's car. I'm so thankful to Pug Sport to have actually put something like that on the road. Other brands just stop at show car stage and never have the balls to put it on the streets. Those big brakes looking like crazy, the commitment to a full forged engine, the looks, the stance. I just love it. Sorry guys, that was way to many lines here. But it came from the heart :beer:

A

Anonymous

I like the centre caps...mostly because they strongly remind me of Thundercats and my childhood!!

DRTDVL

Reaction score
Rcz-r ever thought about getting the turbo housing and downpipe ceramic coated?