What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

RCZ Clutch Noise

A

Anonymous

Hi. I've had my car for 18 months now from new and it's done 11,800 miles. Very early on the car developed a noise from the clutch when pulling away in 1st or reverse. This was intermittant and most often occurred on a hill start.

It's a lease carand came from Manchester but I took it to my local (Brighton) dealership.

I took it for a drive with one of the mechanics and when he heard it he said it was a resonating clutch plate. Annoying but harmless. I asked the garage to fix it but they needed to check that it was covered by the warranty.

The response i had was that they would not confirm if it was a warranty repair until it was dissassembled. I told them that I felt that this left me in a very vulnerable position as I need the car on a daily basis and I did not possibly see how this could be anything other than a warranty repair at 7k miles but if they said it wasn't I would have no car and very few options other than to pay them.

Suffice to say I left it!

Anyway it's getting worse. I had hoped to tough it out till it goes back in December but logic tells me if the noise is getting worse and more frequent that something bad could happen.

Any advice? Ive never had a clutch go on me in 20 years. I use the hill start assist on this car so it doesn't get any real strain except on hills in traffic but it should be lasting more than 11k.

Thanks In advance for any help!!!

A

Anonymous

There have been some posts regardng problems with the clutch on some low milage Z's , best to check them out.
Apparantly a new clutch can cost around £1600 :eek:

Good luck.........

hanswuk

Reaction score
First of all the clutch setup on the diesel cars is different from the petrol versions. The diesels have a dual mass flywheel which absorbs vibration whereas on the petrol cars this is not necessary. It's difficult to judge without having heard the noise but if it's bothering you and getting worse it would be best to get it resolved asap if possible. Resonating clutches are not a common problem but a quick search on the internet suggests that it is known issue on some non-Peugeot cars eg. Honda & VW.

If it was my car I would be reasoning with the dealer (and ultimately with Peugeot as it's them that would be footing the bill) that it's unreasonable to expect a car owner to take such a potentially expensive risk in having it stripped down at their cost. I may be wrong but I am not aware of how you could have caused this problem and so believe that it should be down to Peugeot to say that either it is or is not a fault and, if it is, they should take the financial risk. I would guess that because of the high labour cost of getting at the clutch they would want to replace it as a matter of course whoever was paying.

A

Anonymous

Mine was in today they have just rang me to tell me that the clutch vibration issue is NOT a known fault so they have had to get data from the ECU and send it to Peugeot to see if it can be done under warranty the same goes for an oil leak around the rocker gasket ! - And the loose rubber gasket around the arches at the back that are inherently not fitting ! I've never heard so much crap in my life 12,500 miles and the list goes on. For such an brill looking car its starting to grind on me now. :helpme: :thumbdown:

A

Anonymous

Hi, just for your info I previously had a diesel VW Passat which exhibited the exact same clutch issues. The dealership offered the same resolution..strip the vehicle down to establish the fault with me having to pay £1400 pounds if the problem was not a manufacturing fault. I took the chance and it turned out to be a fault with the dual mass flywheel as per earlier reply.. This seems to be a known fault withe this type of flywheel on a diesel car.
I know of taxi drivers who use Skoda Octavias who have suffered many similar problems in fact some have even had the flywheel replaced by a regular one and have experienced no problems since.
Hope this info helps somewhat.