What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

RCZ 1600. Orange engine light is on !!! Po342 ????

A

Anonymous

Good Evening All,
I have the 1600 RCZ that has the orange engine management light on and running rough. Mileage is 30000.
I have checked fault codes and code is permanent. I have replaced the cam sensor and reset the codes several times.
reset code ignition off . ignition on check no code start up fault comes back within seconds. battery and starter both seem ok --- this has been a suggestion of low voltage on startup ?? all to no avail . The code is P0342 . :eusa-think: :) :) Could anyone help please?? Best regards Desparate Richard

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Have a look at the threads regarding coil packs. That is another possibility, especially if the engine is misfiring.

drdino

Reaction score
DTC points to timing issue, I'd check fuel trims first. Coil packs failures are common indeed, but they would trigger a misfire DTC. If there's access to an obd reader, the monitors will contain misfire counts as well.

tianorth

Reaction score
This is for a 156 engine.
Didn't know what engine you have.

drdino

Reaction score
He is saying he has already replaced the cam sensor.

A

Anonymous

Many thanks for all the responses. I will check the fuel trims and for misfires. The code P0342 only seems to relate to cam sensor failure or weak signal. Could someone explain how timing chains or coil packs throw up this code. P0342 and P0078 had also registered as stored fault codes on first plug in but have not re-occurred since clearing. Also enquired at the dealers regarding the HP fuel pump replacement under recall (?) With a very non committed response -nearly said not heard of that one??? Many thanks again and greatly appreciate your replies.

A

Anonymous

Sorry the other fault code that cleared was P0341. P0342 is persistent! !!!!

drdino

Reaction score
Nope, but it's very quick and easy to check the fuel trims.

A

Anonymous

Thanks again for the info.
If it is timing chains - is it an easy job to do yourself (cant seem to find any info anywhere and if its a dealer job can anyone advise if a known issue for repair assistance (financial) as this shouldn't be expected from a car that's only done 30000. My Stag will do 60000 before they start `rattling' !!!
Could anyone tell me if the 156 engine is fitted to other cars where a works manual will be available ???

Thanks again Richard :cry: :cry:

tianorth

Reaction score
Is it the 1.6 156 bhp engine you have or the 1.6 200 bhp engine?

If it's timing chain issue get in touch with Peugeot UK HQ as it's a known fault with a recall.

Since P0342 has been identified as camshaft sensor is the new sensor faulty?

A

Anonymous

The 156 engine is also fitted to the mini cooper S model, its a common problem with this engine, the timing chain stretches and causes all sorts of problems - A quick search on this forum will show many people have issues with the timing chain with less than 20,000 miles.

There is an upgraded part available from Peugeot, but I don't think they have made this an official recall, try getting in contact with your dealer to determine if it is indeed the timing chain and if so are they willing to replace under warranty or provide a good will payment towards the repair costs.