What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

RCZ 156THP Fuel Filter Location

thornebt

Reaction score
I've had a thorough look through this forum and all over the web to try to find the location of the fuel filter on my 1.6 156THP. I've also jacked the car up and had a good look round for it. Common opinion on this forum is that there isn't a fuel filter on the petrol RCZ - just a screen on the fuel pump inside the tank.

I bought a fuel filter (Bosch F2161) online. I also emailed the seller and gave them my registration number to check it was correct for my car. Elsewhere on the web there are many sellers selling a fuel filter for the petrol RCZ. This is just one example:-

At the bottom of the page it specifies:-

Fuel Filter for Peugeot RCZ by model and power system

RCZ [03/2010 - Today]

When you click on my model 156HP it brings up a range of filters from different manufacturers but all basically the same design.

So, I'm a bit stumped! I tend to think that there isn't an external fuel filter but I'm confused why there are so many sellers on the web who can sell me one! I have emailed my local Peugeot dealer to ask them for a price to replace the fuel filter and I'll see what they come back with. At least this should give me a definitive reply I guess.

Nemi

Reaction score
I think there is one variant of RCZ that has external fuel filter. If i am not mistaken, that RCZ was sold in South Africa (and maybe elsewhere) :rolleyes:

thornebt

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply Nemi. The two Peugeot dealers I emailed haven't replied yet. I have a Fuel Rail Pressure Too Low engine fault and thought it might be due to the fuel filter. It seems likely now that it is the high pressure fuel pump. The last few times I've started the RCZ I've given it a few more revs than I normally would and I don't get the engine fault message. I've also looked at a YouTube post on replacing the HPFP and it's not a job I would want to rush into at this time of year. There is someone on Ebay who reconditions these fuel pumps for less than £150 and his feedback is all very positive. He mentions in the listing that there are lots of grey looking pumps from China but evidence points to them being used pumps which are just sandblasted.

The reconditioner also states that the life of the HPFPs is 60k - 70k - which seems very poor to me. Some people could be replacing them every year or two!

I'm going to wait a bit longer to see if my pump gets any worse.

Cheers. Bruce.

Last edited:

Nemi

Reaction score
I got the same error (Fuel Rail Pressure Too Low) when my HPFP failed. Most likely you have the same problem. I think you should replace it as soon as possible because you risk getting into limp mode or your RCZ will not start at all. My RCZ broke when i was 200km away from closest garage, had to call towing service :rolleyes:

Just buy a new one, it costs around £300-£400 (maybe even comes with warranty). It takes around an hour to replace it (at independent garage). At Peugeot dealership it may take longer and cost more and i think they are required to update ECU after replacing HPFP as part of standard procedure o_O

And yes, HPFP don't last long, even new ones.

thornebt

Reaction score
Thank you Nemi. Your help and links are much appreciated. Cheers. Bruce.

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Apparently the new pumps are updated models and should last longer 🤔

Pedro

Reaction score
Hi I'm a newbie with a 200 BHP GT on the fuel system there is a fuel pressure sensor located on the fuel injection manifold side which can throw a wobbler giving a code read out of fuel trim & low fuel pressure faults maybe worth checking that before splashing out on a pump

thornebt

Reaction score
Hi I'm a newbie with a 200 BHP GT on the fuel system there is a fuel pressure sensor located on the fuel injection manifold side which can throw a wobbler giving a code read out of fuel trim & low fuel pressure faults maybe worth checking that before splashing out on a pump
Hi. Thanks for the tip. I know the petrol engine also has the same sensor. However, as the engine is running badly and it's not just a case of an engine fault message I think there is a genuine fault. I'm going to buy a fuel pressure gauge and check the pressure from the tank fuel pump. Apparently this should remain steady at about 70psi for about 15 minutes. Assuming that is OK I will get my fuel pump reconditioned. Replacement of it seems fairly straightforward. The most difficult part is probably removing the battery which is a pain! The pump removal appears to be just two pipes and three torx bolts. It's also easiest done when the car has been standing overnight so the pressure has time to subside. Cheers. Bruce.

anandmongol

Reaction score
Hi. Thanks for the tip. I know the petrol engine also has the same sensor. However, as the engine is running badly and it's not just a case of an engine fault message I think there is a genuine fault. I'm going to buy a fuel pressure gauge and check the pressure from the tank fuel pump. Apparently this should remain steady at about 70psi for about 15 minutes. Assuming that is OK I will get my fuel pump reconditioned. Replacement of it seems fairly straightforward. The most difficult part is probably removing the battery which is a pain! The pump removal appears to be just two pipes and three torx bolts. It's also easiest done when the car has been standing overnight so the pressure has time to subside. Cheers. Bruce.
Did you find the fuel filter location? I have also 2010 THP 156 imported from Japan. Couldn't located the fuel filter.

Pedro

Reaction score
There is presumably a Bosch Low pressure "Pick up" strainer type filter in the tank the only other in line one was only fitted to export models for hot Climates