What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

RCZ 1.6l Manual & TT Quattro S - Impressions (Australia)

A

Anonymous

G'day from Canberra Australia.

Took a Peugeot RCZ 1.6l Turbo Manual ($61k) and an Audi TT Coupe 2l Turbo Quattro S automattic ($85k) for a short test drive last Saturday. Short version is I am currently talking to my workplace leasing company to order myself a new RCZ!!!! Long version is below. It's not intended as a TT bash, just an average guy's impression of both cars so take from it what you will.

edit: and to clarify, this review is based on back-to-back drives of both cars on exactly the same stretch of road which included some twisty bits, some highway bits and some urban bits

Please note, I'm not a driver's driver and that is probably one of the most important things to take away from this review. I'm just an average guy casting about for my first coupe. I don't want neck snapping performance and I'm not after engineering brilliance. I also don't want something that looks just like another car (those who know what I mean know what I mean), and as a motorbike rider I want something that sounds goooood.

Looks – the RCZ has it all over the TT (imo). The nose does let the RCZ down, but from the middle of the bonnet back just love it. The TT has got better in design in recent years, but still not as unique as the RCZ (Audi comparrisons notwithstanding (and who cares who did what first anway (other than MAC users :lol: ))).

Power – The RCZ is 147kW compared to the TT at 155kW, and to my inexperienced backside they felt a bit same same. If I had to split hairs I would think the TT's turbo kicks in a little sooner than the RCZ, but it could be my imagination. Engine performance alone I would have to say I think the TT just pips the RCZ but you would need back to back drives to pick it.

Handling – Both cars felt very nice, very nice indeed. Both were sporting 19" rims and I would say the TT was just a little harsher/stiffer in the springs than the RCZ. Both hugged the road quite well although the AWD of the TT really gave a sense of grip. For me though, the RCZ being slightly softer (relative terms here, people) had a feeling of more an everyday drive, something you could get in again and again – like a best compromise if you will.

Front Seats – RCZ is fully electronic while the TT is full manual – electronic seats is another $1,400. The RCZ also has heated seats as standard, the TT is an extra $750 – hey I live in Canberra, it would be nice. I think the RCZ was slightly more comfortable under the bum, although the TT felt a bit snugger around the sides.

The Rear Seats – Both suck, period. And we were told by the dealer that the rear seats are tokenistic as apparently genuine 2 seat cars attrack another level of tax again (?!?!?!), so that's why there are rear seats but they serve no genuine function. The Audi dealer was literally crippled when he got out of the TT after a 10-15 minute drive, versus the Peugeot dealer who, while very uncomfortable could at least walk after the exact same loop.

Sound – RCZ wins in the sound department hands down, what a fantastic exhaust noise, I really enjoyed it – just this great medium pitched whhuuuuuuaaarghhhh!!! when you get on it, and barely there when cruising. The TT wasn't too bad, also sounded sporty, but the RCZ had it all over the TT in this regard. Road noise I would say the RCZ is also a little quiter than the TT, but both cars were rather good here anyway despite the 19" wheels.

Emotion – Look, the TT is a nice car, there's no doubt, but I just got nothing from it emotionally. The RCZ, IMO it's sexy, it looks good, it tells me to get in and take it for a spin. The RCZ just moved me more. I wish Peugeot had done something better with the nose, but I will forgive a lot for the rest of the package.

Verdict – For me the RCZ is the easy winner. Price knocks it out of the park, and even to compare it to the base model 118kW TT at $71k by the time you add on all the extras so they are the same features in the RCZ (19" rims, electronic seats, heated seats, hill start assist, etc) the base TT is now around $75k, quite the gap. It goes good, sounds great, handles really well, which I think the TT does as well, just not to the same extent. And the price on the RCZ at around $61k with the 19" rims and so many features as standard compared to optional extras, to me it is a just a much better buy than the TT.

Other Cars – Yes, I know, there are other cars that offer more performance for less money al-la Subaru WRX for example – but I don't want more performance in this car, 200kW+ can be my next one, and the WRX just looks like another 4 door mid size sedan, at the moment they just don't attract me. European reviews talk about the Volkswagen Scirocco being a $ for $ match but a more superior handling car, I'm sorry it just looks like a hot hatch – yawn. The 370Z, a nice car, have been attracted to it in the past, but getting pretty common nowadays and at $75k + 245kW not really what I want in a car *now*.

FGRob

Reaction score
Hi Glenn.

Welcome to the forum.

A very nice write up you've given there, :clap: :clap: to the point and factual, you will not be disappointed with your choice.

Rob.

A

Anonymous

Hi Glenn and welcome.

I've been a fan of the TT for many years and always considered buying one but never did. My attraction was always for the Mk1 shape although I still like the latest version. I even have a number of 1:18 models of the TT.

When my current car lease approached it's end I started looking around for something different and decided I might actually buy the TT I've always wanted. I checked out prices on the Internet and decided Id be buying a lower spec model to stay within my lease budget. Then I discovered the RCZ, took it for a test drive and loved it. I also love that it has more features than the TT for less cost and it reminds me of the Mk 1 shape I love. Since falling in love with the RCZ I'm now over my obsession with the TT and think the RCZ looks better.

Mine doesn't get delivered until April but in over 25 years of buying new cars, I've never been as exited about a new car delivery as I am about the RCZ.

Cheers

RCZooM

RCZ1

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Glenn.

A very interesting review, very factual and most enjoyable to read.
As has previously been mentioned, you will not be disappointed with your choice.

I prefer the Mk 2 TT over the the Mk 1 and thought that one day I would have one. Then one August day back in 2009, I saw a photograph of the RCZ and that, they say, was that ! I knew instantly the RCZ was the car for me. It was gobsmackingly gorgeous and like you, I have never been so excited over a car. I love mine to bits and the thrill I get, every time I look at it or step into the driving seat, is out of this world. The best decision I ever made (other than marrying my husband :lol:)

Hopefully the time will fly by for you, until you get yours in April. :beer:

A

Anonymous

Hi Glenn and welcome to the forum :greetings-wavingblue: . Thanks for posting your review, it made for good reading. Like others I too love the Audi TT but other than a second-hand one it was always going to be beyond my budget. Now 14 weeks after taking possession of my lovely RCZ I have absolutely NO regrets and love Freddie more every time I look at him and get behind the wheel. I don't even mind his nose, unlike some.

Hope your wait flies by and you'll love your new RCZ as much as the rest of us :thumbup: Let us know what you go for :dance: .

A

Anonymous

Thanks everyone for the welcome and the comments.

I must say we're getting pretty damn excited about this car, haven't been excited to this extent about a car before. And it will be our first "sports" car as well, and the most powerful power-to-weight car too. So much to look forward to!

p.s. Looking at getting Pearl White with Black Onyx 19" rims - will depend on availability and what sort of deals can be done. Hopefully the leasing company can flex some muscle.

A

Anonymous

What a great write up. I am pleased our friend in Aussy land compared the 1.6i and a TT. I know on this forum many have opted for the higher RCZ - bit i - along with others have bought the std 1.6i GT - which i think is superb. I have had it since July last year - in dolphin blue and it looks absolutely great.
I had it washed yesterday and when it was rubbed down - - the alloys cleaned - the car is beautiful.
I have no regrets - get admiring glances from all - and glares from the TT drivers. I suspect in summer it will be worse - the TT drivers, the Suburus etc - all std design cars - and even the new Scirroco - it is just a hot hatch - a 'go faster' car. Who cares the RCZ id brill.
Well done to Glen in Canberra - we ought to hold that comparison up on the web site as a definitave lay-mans view - brill.

A

Anonymous

In Australia we have three models to choose from:

* 1.6l Petrol Turbo Auto = 115kW/156hp and 240Nm of torque
* 1.6l Petrol Turbo Manual = 147kW/200hp and 275Nm of torque (what we're ordering)
* 2.0l Diesel Turbo Manual = 120kW/163hp and 340Nm of torque

The 156hp manual is not an option here.

Nor is the sat nav option (currently)

And no news locally of the Feline pack (dammit!)

A

Anonymous

Hi Glenn

Good post - many of your reasons for going for the RCZ over the TT are the same as mine. I've had my RCZ 6 months now and love the handling and ride. Much of late 2009 was spent test driving various models of Audi as my husband wanted one. No matter the model he tried, they all seemed to be a hard ride. He settled on a Q5 but I find it as uncomfortable as hell. Anything S Line meant immediate physio/chiro treatment!

Don't worry about the Feline pack, our UK £1 shops sell very similar items so for a tenner I'll be able to get you pretty much what you need and you'd only have to carry out slight modifications for the same look! Sorry, but I'm not a fan of the pack.

A

Anonymous

Hi Gemini,

I'd rather go a genuine quad exhaust but have been watching with interest how people put tips on if I get desperate. We'll be getting this car on a two year lease so we may just end up waiting till the next before going proper modification routes.

A

Anonymous

Off to talk some serious turkey with the dealer this morning. Wish us luck!

A

Anonymous

Good luck bud! I had a Harley Rider give me a thumbs up today... and you dont get much cooler than that! :lol: