What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

PUG1OFF Light Weight Flywheel

French Letter

Reaction score
The new clutch and new PUG1OFF light weight flywheel is now installed. Things noted: Noticeable improved acceleration in 1st, 2nd and a bit in 3rd gears. Slows down quicker when taking foot off accelerator - I like this, especially going down some hills. Softer clutch engagement and a touch lighter.

Flywheel -
https://peugeot-tuning-parts.co.uk/rcz-flywheel-ttv...

Pedro

Reaction score
I'm interested in one of those mine is picking up the dreaded haunting clunk sound on changeover after a prolonged run might be play in the "Dual Mess " or thrust bearing on the way out but either way its a serious contender for the scrap heap in the near future

RCZ-R

Reaction score
I always wonder how much of an impact a lightened flywheel has on the crankshaft bearings.
I mean, by swapping the flywheel for a lighter one you take away some weight on one side of the crankshaft. And that weight was calculated into the load on those bearings from the very start.

Pedro

Reaction score
I always wonder how much of an impact a lightened flywheel has on the crankshaft bearings.
I mean, by swapping the flywheel for a lighter one you take away some weight on one side of the crankshaft. And that weight was calculated into the load on those bearings from the very start.
Good point but I imagine when they design these engines the load is spread through the crank shaft as a centrifugal force & as long as the bearings stay in tact it should cause no issue the real problem has been found to be the entire weight of the clutch system I did read an article somewhere that manufacturers were considering doing away with the set up altogether & reverting to lightweight components

RCZ-R

Reaction score
A certain inertia moment on the crankshaft is of benefit for a smooth operation of the engine and the gearbox. The synchros have less "to do" when bridging lower speed differences between the gear changes. This adds to a smoother driving and less wear on the drivetrain components.
But yes, it takes some of the engine's power away. So it is always a trade off.
The less dead weight on the drivetrain the better use of available power generated via combustion.

Claret63

Reaction score
A certain inertia moment on the crankshaft is of benefit for a smooth operation of the engine and the gearbox. The synchros have less "to do" when bridging lower speed differences between the gear changes. This adds to a smoother driving and less wear on the drivetrain components.
But yes, it takes some of the engine's power away. So it is always a trade off.
The less dead weight on the drivetrain the better use of available power generated via combustion.

This is why I didn’t do on my last car, I thought about this for a long time, but the benefits for me just don’t make sense, especially with something like an R.
you definitely need that inertia when changing down not a braking effect in my opinion.

A light weight fly for me is only a benefit surely for a track car.

lfe

Reaction score
Yes, inertia is necessary, a combustion engine is not an electric motor, it is propelled by explosion strokes.

The flywheel is also necessary for a stable idle and for these shocks to not affect the transmission.

The energy accumulated by the flywheel is not lost during acceleration when shifting to a higher gear.

For me it does not make sense to change the flywheel for a lighter one in a car for normal use, the change has more drawbacks than advantages