What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Problem LED brakelamps

The Guardian

Reaction score
Hi,

I would like to know if someone knows a solution for my problem with my aftermarket LED brakelamps.
The problem is as follow;
The standard brakelamps are switched with 92 LED brakelamps from RCZ Performanceshop. In the beginning (winter 2012-2013) all seemed well but then I parked backwards in front of a big window and saw in the reflection that the standard LED sidelamps were flickering when I pushed the brakes. The left side worse then the right.
If I turn of the engine but with the electrical systems and lighting on, the side lamps behave normally when I press the brakepedal. Turning the engine back on and the flickering is back when braking.
If I brake very very slightly sometimes it wont happen but when pressing the pedal somewhat more and.... yes your right ;) ...flickering starts.

I have switched LED brakelamps between sides butthe problem was still there and still the left remained worse. I cleaned the fittings and lamps, used contactspray and even placed some extra resistors to try to resolve the problem. Nothing worked.
I'm out of ideas and my peugeot dealer is no help either because they can't help me because it not standard on the car.
Today, after a year of driving with flashing sidelamps and a bad fealing everytime I had to brake, I switched them back for the standard lamps and everything is working like it supposed to, without the LED brakelamps that is.

Anybody have any idea how to resolve this issue or have had the same problem?

A

Anonymous

Sounds like you've already solved the issue, albeit not the way you wanted too!

I can't say I've ever heard of this issue or seen a topic on it, although I don't have the rear LEDs. I'm sure someone who does will be here soon.

Abzynthe

Reaction score
I have LED brake bulbs, but Ive never had a problem. They might be defective bulbs?

A

Anonymous

Delicate are the 92 smds as are all led bulbs,it sounds like just wear and tear and being brake lights they take more abuse than the front led drls simple as that,best get new ones

A

Anonymous

Just a though but is it possible to try the LEDs in another car just to see if they flicker ?
Maybe its a fault with the LEDs, or as Jassy say's, they are just showing signs of wear/usage , but maybe they are not compatible with the Z electrical circuits ?

I had to try a couple of different LEDs for my DRL's before I found ones that worked ok.

The Guardian

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.
But the problem is not, atleast so it seems, with the LED brakelamps themself but the little standard LED's above the brakelamps. But only if I use the LED's for brakelamps so;

original back/sidelamps + original brake lamps = all ok
original back/sidelamps + RCZ Performance LED brakelamps = back/sidelamps flicker while braking, with engine running.

My conclusion was that the standard back/sidelamps are fine. The only thing I could try, like you said, is new LED brakelamps. Maybe one is just a little out of spec, not causing the lamp itself to malfunction but causes the back/sidelamps, which are all on the same canbus-system, to get a little peak or something and start to flicker?

Abzynthe

Reaction score
Reading up on it, it may be that the bulbs cant handle the spike in voltage. As our cars have a self diagnostic of sorts, it every so often sends a spike in voltage to detect if a bulb has burnt out.

Or further reading suggests it may be that the bulbs internal temperature is too high. LEDs only need 2v to light up, so with 12v running to them, they get hot and flicker.

A

Anonymous

I may be reading this wrong but a rcz has only one stop/tail light in each lens at the rear which projects light up into the higher parts of the rear cluster + plus the led high level brake light and no other lights bar the led indicators :eusa-think:

Also led bulbs flicker in cold weather

The Guardian

Reaction score
Abzynthe said:
Do they flicker when your headlights are on and your not pressing the brake?

The headlights are on when the back/sidelamps are on so nope, working fine when leaving the brakes alone.

It has something to do with this canbus system and that the power running to the back/sidelamps is not constant when also the LED brakelight comes on.

The Guardian

Reaction score
jassyo06 said:
I may be reading this wrong but a rcz has only one stop/tail light in each lens at the rear which projects light up into the higher parts of the rear cluster + plus the led high level brake light and no other lights bar the led indicators :eusa-think:

Maybe I describe it wrong (or have it wrong in my head ;) ) but it is the upper part that starts flickering when I brake.
I thought the small LED which is placed there was flickering but it could actualy be the brake light then?

A

Anonymous

The Guardian said:
jassyo06 said:

Maybe I describe it wrong (or have it wrong in my head ;) ) but it is the upper part that starts flickering when I brake.
I thought the small LED which is placed there was flickering but it could actualy be the brake light then?

Tip the smds feed this cluster which do give the led effects, kind of.

RCZ-Performance

Reaction score
This is a strange situation and as mentioned the 92 LED bulbs we sell are designed for Canbus systems and we have not had any other reported problems or experiences like this in any RCZ's and we have sold a lot of them.

If you feel the bulbs are defective, we can have them tested. Contact us at [email protected] for assistance with this.

Keep us posted on how you progress.

The Guardian

Reaction score
So if I understand right, the small LED in the upper part is the highlevel-brake-LED? And the glow you see in this upper compartment when not braking is actually coming from the lower part? Then the flickering I see could be the highlevel-brake-LED quickly switching on and off when the 'normal' brake/tail-LED's switch to braking-level/output?

When the weather is better I will give it one more shot.
I now will first check, with all the original lamps installed, which original lamp or LED does what in which situation. I will pull the lamps out of the taillamp-unit so there is no confusion because of reflections etc. I will just look at the lamps themselfs.

Then I will do the same with the LED brakelamp installed, hanging out of the lightning unit. That way I will see which lamp, brakelamp or highlevel brake-LED, is actually flickering.

@RCZ Performance: can you explain what and how you test the LED? I know someone who could do this for me if I know how and what to test for. Saves a trip back and forth to the UK for these bulbs ;)

RCZ-Performance

Reaction score
The Guardian said:
@RCZ Performance: can you explain what and how you test the LED? I know someone who could do this for me if I know how and what to test for. Saves a trip back and forth to the UK for these bulbs ;)

Our tests here would be to test them in our car. If they work perfectly then we will let you know and decide how to proceed. However we will send them back to the manufacturer for further testing to see if they deem the bulbs as defective or not whether or not they work in our car or not. Based upon that result will depict how to proceed.

With so much you have done, have you tested them as DRL's as they are the same bulb type (you just might not be able to fit them in the bezel if you do not have the Vision Pack though, but not necessary to fit them in the bezel to test)?