What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Piggyback fuse holders

tianorth

Reaction score

I'm thinking of getting something like this to run dash cams off by getting the power from the fuse box to power one of these

Which fuse should I take the power from?

Looking in the manual p182 fuse F7 seems to be the best one as it's a non essential system if it blows whilst driving.

Or do I use F1 or F6 as it's not used (if there is power).
How do these piggyback fuses work?
Does it still allow the 5A fuse to work as normal and provide an additional circuit which is also protected by a fuse, or is the whole circuit including the additional circuit limited to 5A?

The usb leads I'm adding are a max of 3A.
Do I put a 3A fuse in or a 5A?

Sorry for so many questions I'm quite happy to play around with the electrics but don't want to trash anything and I like to do research first.

Many thanks Chris

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Hi Chris, so as you know, I have front & rear dashcams. I used the same piggyback fuse system to connect the power leads. My car is off at the moment with my OH so I will have to check later which fuses I used, I remember when I did it, some of the fuses I tried-expecting ignition controlled power turned out to be permanently on, so in the end it was a bit trial and error, but as for your other questions;
The fuse you use will remain exactly the same for that system as if you hadn't connected anything, so if you pick a 5a fuse, the system will still have a 5a fuse in it, same for 7a etc etc.
If your camera is rated at 3a I would use a 3a fuse in the piggyback section. Whatever size fuse you use in this part is the protection amperage your camera will have.

I drilled a small hole in the chassis next to the fuse box & used a self tapping screw to earth my Cameras. It was the simplest way, rather than trying to find a suitable earth in the system.

If I can get a piccy I will post it on here.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
:brickwall:
Actually, she wants me to fit a new bathroom next :crazy: the Kitchen will have to wait :wtf: