What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Peugeot 308 S DT 1.6 HDI TURBO DIESEL 5 DOOR

A

Anonymous

Good afternoon people, a request for a bit of guidance and advice if I can please.

My daughter is looking at buying the car listed above, on a 09 plate, 83K on the clock. It looks lovely on the pictures I have seen (she is 100 miles away and trying to buy it on her own!), The only issue she has found is that there is "some rust in the engine compartment" When i asked her where and how much, she is a bit vague. Her only offering was "Under the silver bit directly above and behind the car badge!"

I have added an image so it should be easier to understand? Anything to be concerned about? She doesn't seem to think it is especially deep or widespread.

The other thing is the price. On the forecourt at £3295, I guess some will say this is too much for the car?

Any advice would be appreciated.

A

Anonymous

Could be the top of the radiator or fans, it is a bit vague so a picture would help :)

DKZ5745

Reaction score
From the picture, the car (or what can be seen of it) looks quite tidy, although there does seem to be a little condensation at the base of the windscreen, it might be wise to check there are no damp patches inside the car as water ingress could be a problem. Make sure all the electrics are spot on. Faults here can be expensive to diagnose.

The coolant level is also below minimum, so this needs to be questioned & rectified.

The car would need to have been looked after given the mileage, so some sort of history would be necessary (has it had all the required parts replaced as and when they should have been)
For the price, does the car have some sort of warranty, even if only a month or so, at least you would be covered in case it is a lemon - it should show pretty quickly after purchase.
If the rust is superficial it shouldn't really be much if an issue, and not all that expensive to rectify if really necessary.

A

Anonymous

Thanks both. I think I might be avoiding this one. It looks immaculate, I have checked it out on the dealer's website, but doing a bit of research, it was last MOT'd in Mar 14 and taxed in Apr 14, which has set alarm bells ringing a bit.

Edit: Actually, looking a bit deeper, there appears to be a few cars on his site that are similar, in terms of being "off the road" for a couple of years. A bit weird? One to avoid I think - or am I being overly cautious?

DKZ5745

Reaction score
There are lots of dealers & cars out there, it pays to be cautious. No need to "take a chance" when it's totally unnecessary.