What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Passenger side dash resonation

A

Anonymous

Hi guys,
On a bit of a downer at the moment - for the last 3 months or so I've had a REALLY annoying rattle coming from the passenger side dash of my 2012 RCZ GT and it's doing my head in. It's a really low pitch resonating rattle which echoes behind the dash at around 14-1500 RPM in 2nd / 3rd gear. If I hit the top of the dash around the airbag I can hear it but I can't fathom where it's coming from - and neither can the dealer after a couple of attempts.

The sat-nav screen appears OK - I've had the trims off the edge of it and I don't think its coming from there. The top side windscreen vent appears a bit loose on that side but I've wedged some paper in there so it doesn't move and it still does it. The speaker grilles and vent dont appear loose as far as I can tell.

I can only presume it's coming from under the dash and of course I cannot get under there. If it was one of those silly things where I could turn the stereo up to drown it out I would but because it resonates behind the dash it fills the cabin and you can still hear it due to the frequency no matter how loud you try to turn things up. :(

Has anyone else had this and may give me or th dealer a few suggestions? I know it may sound melodramatic but if I can't shut it up then it's going to have to go because it is totally ruining the experience as that one noise makes it sound as though the whole cabin is coming apart. :(

Please help me save my sanity :helpme:

Many thanks in advance.
Andy aka. LUFCfan :)

A

Anonymous

Ah... have you any experience of this then mate as it does appear to be coming right from that corner of the dash? :)

A

Anonymous

Not on this car but it's the first obvious plastic thing that could rattle that lives in the area in question that springs to mind. I've had other cars with glove box fuse boxes that rattled anyway!

renegade79

Reaction score
lufcfan said:
Many thanks for that! I'll take a look at it :)

Get someone to drive the car and you sit in the passenger seat and have a good listen and you might come up with something. My armrest squeaks a little until you put (elbow)pressure on it!

tianorth

Reaction score
My armrest squeaks a little until you put (elbow)pressure on it!

My arm rest squeaked but if I opened it, it stopped. Got the service department to put a strip of sticky backed felt on the back of the catch.
Oddly it stopped squeaking.

A

Anonymous

Just as a side note to this one, I ended up going out with a Peugeot Tech who identified the noise as being a failed weld on the support beam behind the dash - only ever seen one reported before apparently.

It also needs a new BSI computer as the passenger side door mirror has stopped demisting. I'm in a Mazda 2 courtesy car for a week while the entire dash is removed to fix the rattle and a new BSI fitted... glad I'm not paying the bill for that! :eek: