What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

P1337 "Engine Fault Repair needed" [FIXED]

A

Anonymous

Took the RCZ out with a 205 GTI-owning friend today to give him a demo, as I put my foot down in 2nd, RCZ hesitated followed by "Engine Fault - repair needed", MIL (orange check engine) lamp on and limp home mode activated. Symptoms were very little power (almost like turbo had cut out). On further investigation back home, the fan was running on high speed even though the engine was pretty much cold and continued to run for several minutes after shut off, which was most odd, along with a slightly lumpy tickover like it was 'missing' on 1 cylinder.

The car is still under warranty being a '12 plate, but being 175 miles from home at my parents' and having to travel back down on Monday, I SERIOUSLY needed it back on the road if at all possible - fortunately had access to my dad (an amateur mechanic, with lots of Pug experience) and his friend (a professional mechanic).

Managed to get it hooked up to an OBDII code reader and read the code P1337, which an internet search revealed was related to coil pack #1 (although this was for a 308, there is very little on the RCZ online and the RCZ forum threads don't contain any solutions!), with the symptoms displayed and having had coil issues on other cars, we reckoned it was worth a try, so somehow managed to get a new Bosch coil and NGK spark plug from EuroCar Parts (at 3pm on 27th of Dec!).

Fitting - required unclipping of ignition harness covers (which also requires snipping some zip ties), they just need gently prising at the front edge to lift over the tooth which secures them. It's also worth taking the 200 THP metal plate off for easier access to the coils. You can then rotate back the coil cover, unplug the coil and then rotate it which pulling which will free it up until it comes out. You'll need a decent deep socket set as the plug is a wacky star shaped 'nut' (was advised to change plug at same time as coil). We assumed #1 coil was the left hand one as you look at the engine. Having changed it and cleared the code, no improvement. We swapped it back and tried the far right coil (as you look at the engine) instead, which cured the problem. Code cleared and then taken out for a good drive to check was all sorted. It is a pretty simple job TBH too, although our mechanic friend advised that once one coil goes, the others are not usually far behind - that said with it still being under Warranty I thought I'd just do the one - and I will be claiming the cost back from Peugeot.

If anyone has a diagram of the cylinder numbering for the 200 THP, can they let me have it and I'll post it here (or post it to a separate thread)? :thumbup:

Of final note was that I also discovered that I had my OBDII bluetooth dongle with me and TORQUE app on my phone which not only allowed me to read the code, but also to clear it later on. Total cost, about £5 and about £3 for the app, well worth having to hand!

A

Anonymous

Thank you so much!

I had the same issue. Engine was juddering/shaking, engine management light came on saying engine repair needed, went into limp home mode so I couldn't go above 3000rpm.
The RCZ was in the peugeot garage a few months ago and had a new ECU at £600+ but the problem came back again.

Peugeot garage wanted £75 just to take another look at it.

I got an ODB reader for £10 and found the P1337 code - I bought a new ignition coil for £21 from eurocarparts and replaced what I thought was cylinder 1 (on the left) but the fault kept coming back within 30 seconds of driving.
Thanks to reading this post I realised cylinder 1 is on the far right on the RCZ, rather than the left as it is on the 308/1007 which were the youtube videos I had watched.

Replaced the coil and have just taken it out on a 10 mile drive. All seems good :dance:

A

Anonymous

Hope it stays that way for you - mine has been ok for a couple of hundred miles since replacement :thumbup:

turboguy

Reaction score
Will replacing the coil pack automatically clear the error code or do I need equipment to clear it ? Currently have a cheap ODB reader only.

Kerr

Reaction score
never mind, fixed it and reset the code now

The fault codes reset themselves after a number of restarts if the fault is gone.

You can get a cheap Bluetooth dongle and software for a mobile phone that can read and reset fault codes. The software is free if you watch an advert or just a few pounds for advert free.

turboguy

Reaction score
I just reset it using that ODBII reader and the free program I got. Didn’t want the same problem again so replaced all 4 ignition coils just to be on the safe side. Bought Bosch items 😀

Neville

Reaction score
I had the same problem recently with my R - one coil pack went, then another. So completed all 4 and dealer advised that cylinder numbering starts at gearbox end so right to left.

Pedro

Reaction score
Yep its the done thing with these engines but are your spark plugs OK as these can put a strain on the coil packs if they need changing?

Neville

Reaction score
Probably why they are required to be changed every service on the R and I check that they are done. First set of coils lasted to 55,000 km and this seems about normal.

Pedro

Reaction score
They say the average life of a normal functioning spark plug is around the 30.000 Klm mark & then they begin to deteriorate into higher mileages

Neville

Reaction score
In Australia, the Peugeot dealer has always changed the plugs every service (which they did not with my THP200) so I have not experienced any plug failures. Is the service requirement the same in the UK?

Pedro

Reaction score
In Australia, the Peugeot dealer has always changed the plugs every service (which they did not with my THP200) so I have not experienced any plug failures. Is the service requirement the same in the UK?
I have the 200sport I changed my plugs when I bought the car on 32.354 its now on 47.853 5 a month ago I pulled 1 plug from No 4 cylinder & it was as clean as if brand new so I know its burning/firing correctly so its a case of is your engine in good running order ? Peugeot may change them in the "R" when servicing but I change ether every 25.000-30.000 or when one fails whichever comes first as I have done in a lot of other cars

Flanners

Reaction score
The R is meant to have new plugs annually, I don't as my car does circa 1K miles a year. You will know if the MD has changed your plugs (ask for the old ones back) because you will have around £130 added to your service bill. In the UK the R/208 270 THP plugs are thankfully now available from eBay and ECP for around £50 for a set. Guessing frequency is due to rapid breakdown of plug due to heat in the R, so in OZ I am thinking annually would be a good thing.

Flanners

Reaction score
Good price....hopefully they are the correct one's......some have a 'habit' of putting in the wrong plugs.

Neville

Reaction score
Luckily I trust the dealership- they have been Peugeot dealers for 73 years and I purchased my first new Peugeot from them in 1978 (a 604). The plugs are specific to the R and I always make sure they have them in stock when I book my annual service.

Kerr

Reaction score
I had the wrong plugs in my car when I bought it. It was Mini plugs in my car.

ECP are currently £70 per set. Autodoc are £40 +P&P for the proper R plug.

Full RRP is too high for plugs and dealers will charge labour more than the 10 minutes it takes to change them.

turboguy

Reaction score
I hope they replaced my plugs on my last service at MD 2k miles ago, cost me £400 for major service. At least the car is going well at the moment

Richard

Reaction score
HI people,

Got this error code Tuesday, new Coilpacks fitted. Cleared fault test drive perfect and all fine been driving to work every day car feels so much better smoother engine and all 4 new Bosch Coils fitted myself cost 148 pound. Eurocarparts.