What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Opal White

A

Anonymous

I have an OPAl white RCZ. All my current and past cars are painted with a lacquered based metallic paint.

Did you notice for all of you who have an RCZ painted with a solid colour how easily it can get scratched or even chipped leaving fine markings like swirls when ever touching the paint.

Is this normal for solid based colours to be easily scratched?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

gatt767 said:
I have an OPAl white RCZ. All my current and past cars are painted with a lacquered based metallic paint.

Did you notice for all of you who have an RCZ painted with a solid colour how easily it can get scratched or even chipped leaving fine markings like swirls when ever touching the paint.

Is this normal for solid based colours to be easily scratched?

Thanks

I have opal with very little swirls at all even under sodium street lighting they are hardly noticeable as for stone chips i have 2 both small one on the bonnet of which you can see the grey metal and the other is on front bumper which is black the colour of the bumper before its painted, but i had 2 red cars before fiat and honda both cars suffered from severe swirls due to it being a very soft water based paint and the stonechips showed up white as all cars are now painted withwater based paint it very poor quality indeed but certain car manufacturers paint toughness does vary VW/audi AND TOYOTA have better/tougher paint than most run of the mass produced cars

A

Anonymous

Mt wife has a red VW Beetle. The paint is awful quality. It has chipped beyond believe, there is no way that you could count them. Literally in the hundreds. All show through as white specs. So happily jassy I can disagree with you on your statement that VW/Audi have better tougher paint

A

Anonymous

OO58RON said:
Mt wife has a red VW Beetle. The paint is awful quality. It has chipped beyond believe, there is no way that you could count them. Literally in the hundreds. All show through as white specs. So happily jassy I can disagree with you on your statement that VW/Audi have better tougher paint

YOUR MUCH BETTER HALF :wave: Sir Ron must tailgate too much :lol: as my mother has a vw golf gti in pearlescent blue with not one stonechip a few scratches but no stonechips ron google car paint toughness it gives you a list :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

That wouldn't explain all the chips on the doors and side sill jassy

A

Anonymous

I assume the Beetle is a solid paint based colour Ron ?. I have had metallic paint on nearly all the cars I have ever had and I am know that the clearcoat finish on the metallic paint has certainly helped reduce the number of stone chips etc on the front of my cars. I would agree with Jassy that VW group cars tend to have a better paint finish than say a Ford or Vauxhall, I hate the orange peel effect that you can clearly see on some cars from other manufacturers, Fiat comes to mind.

A

Anonymous

OO58RON said:

Ron VW has a very hard paint whats the mileage on the beetle??

A

Anonymous

There are relatively few paint suppliers to the automotive industry, DuPont and PPG Industries are two of the main ones, looking around PPG's website Peugeot and VW Group both use PPG paints !. So inevitably it will be down to how each manufacture sprays/cures the paint on their cars which will make the the visible difference between say the paint finish on a VW versus a Peugeot for example. In addition you have to take into account the cost of the spraying systems that the manufacturers have installed and of course the volume of cars being manufactured. There will be some cars that slip through the inspection or QA process, and may be the Beetle is one such car, I don't really have an answer. I would like to think that VW would be able to share best practices across their group of manufacturers so that they have more or less equal paint finish, but I think a VW Phaeton is always going to have a better finish than a Beetle, having said that I am sure Skoda and SEAT paint finishes have improved ten fold since they became part of the VW Group.

A

Anonymous

jassyo06 said:
Her car is on a 09 plate and has done 23K miles. It was appalling within weeks of purchase and was returned to the dealer. Was checked out by VW and found to be of satisfactory quality.

A

Anonymous

OO58RON said:
jassyo06 said:
Her car is on a 09 plate and has done 23K miles. It was appalling within weeks of purchase and was returned to the dealer. Was checked out by VW and found to be of satisfactory quality.

EXACT SAME SCENARIO AS MY HONDA its paint was sooooooooooooooooooooooo poor you just had to look at it and it chipped honda fn2 paint is infamous for this the only bad thing about it that and petrol consumption :lol:

pete.garratt

Reaction score
Phantom said:
There are relatively few paint suppliers to the automotive industry, DuPont and PPG Industries are two of the main ones, looking around PPG's website Peugeot and VW Group both use PPG paints !. So inevitably it will be down to how each manufacture sprays/cures the paint on their cars which will make the the visible difference between say the paint finish on a VW versus a Peugeot for example. In addition you have to take into account the cost of the spraying systems that the manufacturers have installed and of course the volume of cars being manufactured. There will be some cars that slip through the inspection or QA process, and may be the Beetle is one such car, I don't really have an answer. I would like to think that VW would be able to share best practices across their group of manufacturers so that they have more or less equal paint finish, but I think a VW Phaeton is always going to have a better finish than a Beetle, having said that I am sure Skoda and SEAT paint finishes have improved ten fold since they became part of the VW Group.

I heard an anecdote from a local prestige body shop relevant to this. They were challenged by an insurance company to justify the hours they spent colour matching and spraying a car. They cited the variations that occur naturally in the production process and seasonal effects. To demonstrate their point they put two black Porches next to each other and asked: "Are they the same colour?"' to which the answer was "Yes".

Then, they swapped drivers doors from one car to another. Apparently, the viewer was staggered by the difference.

Now, I don't know if this is true, apocryphal or bo!!ocks - others may. However, we've all seen cars where one panel or another is clearly a different colour. This is probably partly due to poor matching when being repaired and I dare say age, UV from sunlight affects the pigment in paint, causing it to change colour.

But does it support the statement that even cars from the same production line/process will show slight colour variations?

If this is true, then you wouldn't be surprised to see variation from different production lines/manufacturers.

Any more thoughts, folks?

RCZ1

Reaction score
It's fair to see you can put two identical cars side by side and measure the paint thickness on them all around the car and they would NOT be the same. I suppose different thicknesses in paint will show a difference in shades on two identical cars, even if only very slightly.

A

Anonymous

I can honestly say that my Opal hasnt got any swirls that can be seen clearly, even under forecourt lighting, which tends to show up the slightest of marks, my Opal finish is completely swirl and blemish free.

From day one I started washing / polishing with a strict regime, I think this definatley helps to control swirls ect, but saying that I have seen brandnew cars sitting in a showroom with swirls, so maybe some are more evident than others right from the start ?

My RCZ recently went in for a tiny bit of paint repair inside the wheel arch, right on the tip of the sill skirt, but even though it was not on the outside and would not of been seen, I insisted that only the tip of the skirt was painted as it's almost impossible to get a 100% colour match, especially when it comes to painting on plastic, at one point the paint shop said they may remove the whole skirt and re-paint the full length then re-fit it !!!
There was no way was I going to allow them to re-paint the whole skirt and risk a shade diference when the repair was inside the wheel arch, the dealer agreed and did a great job just blowing in the tip of the skirt inside the wheel arch.

Non-colour matching panels on any car is one of my pet hates. :thumbdown:

A

Anonymous

OO58RON said:

It would if she keeps doing those handbrake turns :crazy: :lol:

A

Anonymous

jactac said:
OO58RON said:

It would if she keeps doing those handbrake turns :crazy: :lol:

Jactac you forgot to mention the starsky and hutch styly sliding over the bonnet with the sequined mini skirt on as well :lol: :lol:

A

Anonymous

I can just picture Ron in a sequinned mini skirt, very fetching indeed.

By the way heres one of MRs H sliding across the bonnet.......................... :lol:

Attachments

• fat.jpg
    fat.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 1,350
A

Anonymous

jactac said:
I can just picture Ron in a sequinned mini skirt, very fetching indeed.

By the way heres one of MRs H sliding across the bonnet.......................... :lol:

the only natural way to lower a scooby :lol: :lol: :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

Getting her to slide off was not a problem, but getting her up there was another matter, good job i did my fork truck test last. :lol: