What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

On board Wifi

A

Anonymous

So I finally got round to configuring the on board wifi and I have to say its pretty good!

I opted for a 3 10GB data sim which works just great in the dongle that goes in the router in the boot! It's a 1 month rolling contract so I'll adjust down once I see how it goes

A

Anonymous

For the none technical minded (Ie. me) what does all of this mean? What does it allow you to do? What does it cost? and what were the options before you did this (what ever this is) :helpme:

A

Anonymous

It basically means I have wifi in the car, making my car a wifi hotspot.

My son can then happily sit in the back with an iPad and connect to the Internet, YouTube whatever, and it's much cheaper than the 1gb allowance on my phone.

A

Anonymous

Perkybillet said:
It basically means I have wifi in the car, making my car a wifi hotspot.

My son can then happily sit in the back with an iPad and connect to the Internet, YouTube whatever, and it's much cheaper than the 1gb allowance on my phone.
Excuse my ignorance, but does this mean that if I took my laptop to your car that I would be able to access the internet? and if so would it work with the NG4? I do not have a mobile phone by the way.

A

Anonymous

Yes correct you could use your laptop in the car! It's seperate from the NG4. It's basically a small router installed in the boot which has a 3G data dongle in it.

A

Anonymous

You optioned an "on-board WiFi unit" So presumably without having specified that originally, I couldn't do as you have now?

A

Anonymous

My alternative solution is to use your phone as a personal wifi hotspot. Now, this isn't going to be for everyone. Perky you mention that you haven't got a large data allowance and it does sap your battery (but then you just connect it beneath the arm rest and that solves that issue). However, I have an unlimited data allowance with my phone contract as the higher tariff worked out cheaper than buying a wifi enabled iPad and any separate contract etc. May be worth considering for some. :eusa-think:

Tomas_90

Reaction score
mrizzle said:
My alternative solution is to use your phone as a personal wifi hotspot. Now, this isn't going to be for everyone. Perky you mention that you haven't got a large data allowance and it does sap your battery (but then you just connect it beneath the arm rest and that solves that issue). However, I have an unlimited data allowance with my phone contract as the higher tariff worked out cheaper than buying a wifi enabled iPad and any separate contract etc. May be worth considering for some. :eusa-think:
I have unlimited too on my phone. Works great as a hotspot. My nephew uses it to play Playstation 3 online sometimes too :D And charging is easy enough while in the car.

A

Anonymous

mrizzle said:

You might want to check that it is actually unlimited. It's usually subject to fair use and is capped around 1 or 2GB.

My brother's so called "unlimited" data on his phone is only 512MB.

A

Anonymous

RCZ1 said:
Mine is unlimited and I'm on the Internet loads on my phone and never had any problems.

I'm not saying it's always the case, but make sure you check the small print!

It does depend on what you mean by loads! General web browsing you don't really near the limit. It will still work after it reaches it's cap, but you'll be charged accordingly.

Usually when you check your bills online it tells you how much data you have remaining.

A

Anonymous

RCZ1 said:
Mine is unlimited and I'm on the Internet loads on my phone and never had any problems.

JWT said:
RCZ1 said:

I'm not saying it's always the case, but make sure you check the small print!

It does depend on what you mean by loads! General web browsing you don't really near the limit. It will still work after it reaches it's cap, but you'll be charged accordingly.

Usually when you check your bills online it tells you how much data you have remaining.
You may have an option in your settings or a specific app that shows you your data usage on both wifi and 3g. My Galaxy Note does. Maps usage and Satnav downloads a lot of data but Web browsing as JWT says is usually minor unless you view a lot of YouTube type video footage.

Sent from my wireless telephonic device using Tapatalk 2

RCZ1

Reaction score
Yes I have that app and I do watch you tube videos and such like. I really do get value for money out if it!