What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Oil leak

Rczwales77

Reaction score
Hi everyone got myself an rcz 2 months ago took it back to garage where purchased and they replaced the timing chain did the rocker cover gasket and new oil filter housing all was fine for up to a week then noticed oil leak from what I've seen in and around the bellhousing, could be the lower main seal I'm not sure going to take here to my local garage and ramp here up to investigate further, if anyone has any suggestions that would be gret😃👍

Verminator

Staff member
Reaction score
I know that it might be a bit difficult for you but try to get some photos this can help us a lot to help you out

Rczwales77

Reaction score
Cheers mate went for a drive this evening came back had a look underneath the leak is behind the sump on what looks like a round steel piece not sure what it is taking her to my local and trusted garage on Saturday eml came on on the way back I'll try and get a photo tomorrow thanks for your replyIMG_20210920_190317.jpgIMG_20210920_190306.jpg

Rczwales77

Reaction score
After sitting overnight zoom in sump on left side but it's leaking on the right side I'm hoping that the rocker cover gasket repair is not right and that I'll need a new cover with better gasket and some black sealent as well doesn't look like they've done that, which was done on my last car a petrol 308 and that cured it, could also be the chain tensioner, or something loose at the back end of engine, I'll have her inspected on Saturday fingers crossed🤞🤞🙏🙏 Hate to see my z like this only had her 2 months and to think the dipstick was broken when I collected her😳😳 hence the repair work now this I won't give up just yet because otherwise its a fantastic car, I'll update on Saturday see what the diagnostic tool says regarding the eml👍👍

Mikefrank

Reaction score
My eml comes on regular and goes into limp mode with no codes:rolleyes:…..then next time I drive its cleared and running A1 for weeks on end unti it happens again
it’s been like that for past 6 months 🤷‍♂️

Rczwales77

Reaction score
It's the oil leak that concerns me considering they've done everything to the car just under a month ago I've added 1 and a half litres of oil in that time and dipstick is just over halfway I'll find out on Saturday one way or another she's only on 63,400 miles my mate at local garage will get to bottom of it and so shall I will be under the car with him😂just praying it's a simple ish fix but shouldn't be leaking that much at all thanks for you're reply mike👍👍👍

Rczwales77

Reaction score
My eml comes on regular and goes into limp mode with no codes:rolleyes:…..then next time I drive its cleared and running A1 for weeks on end unti it happens again
it’s been like that for past 6 months 🤷‍♂️
Must be something intermittent mate loose connection or similar get everything looked at mate might be something to do with a faulty sensor hope you get it fixed, left a reply on the thread as well cheers 👍👍

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Quite a few owners have had the timing chain tensioner work loose or the seal go which causes quite a large oil leak. Drivers side rear of engine.

Rczwales77

Reaction score
Quite a few owners have had the timing chain tensioner work loose or the seal go which causes quite a large oil leak. Drivers side rear of engine.
Thanks Neil I'm thinking the same after my chain has recently been done, what I am considering is replacing the tensioner with the mk2 version which I'm led to believe to be a bit bigger/stronger because the mk1s were prone to fail I'll look into this further thanks again for you're info and help much appreciated 👍👍

Pedro

Reaction score
Those rocker covers must be resealed as per the Peugeot engine data otherwise they just keep peeing like an open wound & cleanliness is critical when replacing them back on the head

Rczwales77

Reaction score
Those rocker covers must be resealed as per the Peugeot engine data otherwise they just keep peeing like an open wound & cleanliness is critical when replacing them back on the head
You're right Pedro I'm hoping it is the rocker cover, but have a feeling it's the tensioner tbh, had a look yesterday the cover seems OK but can't really see these engines are hard to look around so tight, but if it's the tensioner I'll have to have another t chain in just under a month, maybe the garage that did the work just put the old one and seal back I might be wrong I'll find out Saturday morning my local trusted mechanic is going too look at the car and do diagnostic check as eml and engine fault has come up, better if there is a fault code coming up as the car is under 6 months AA warranty, the garage where I purchased car did the work after I found the dipstick was broken and had slightly smaller oil leak, I gave them one chance so it's warranty now, she was fine for a week then leaks appeared, cheers for you're reply mate👍👍👍

Kerr

Reaction score
My crankshaft oil seal needed replaced. The oil was down the right side of the engine and visible in the engine bay around the lower engine and belts.

It didn't throw up a warning light.

Rczwales77

Reaction score
My crankshaft oil seal needed replaced. The oil was down the right side of the engine and visible in the engine bay around the lower engine and belts.

It didn't throw up a warning light.
Hi kerry I'd be happy for it to be the crank seal rather than chain tensioner but I'm prepared for it be the tensioner find out Saturday morning🤞🙏thanks for you're reply 👍

Pedro

Reaction score
You're right Pedro I'm hoping it is the rocker cover, but have a feeling it's the tensioner tbh, had a look yesterday the cover seems OK but can't really see these engines are hard to look around so tight, but if it's the tensioner I'll have to have another t chain in just under a month, maybe the garage that did the work just put the old one and seal back I might be wrong I'll find out Saturday morning my local trusted mechanic is going too look at the car and do diagnostic check as eml and engine fault has come up, better if there is a fault code coming up as the car is under 6 months AA warranty, the garage where I purchased car did the work after I found the dipstick was broken and had slightly smaller oil leak, I gave them one chance so it's warranty now, she was fine for a week then leaks appeared, cheers for you're reply mate👍👍👍
My tensioner died a death on 32.5000ish klm I just swopped it out for a new one mines now done 46.563 on the original chain (Fresh oil/filter every 3.500klm) so I don't think you need a new chain the newer Tensioners were upgraded with a different seal set up due to so many packing up as per oil leaks the worst thing I found with theses prince engines is the oil is the biggest killer when their run on dirty & depleted oil they start to show up the weak spots in engine components & they are HP Turbos so something's got to give if their not serviced properly

Rczwales77

Reaction score
My tensioner died a death on 32.5000ish klm I just swopped it out for a new one mines now done 46.563 on the original chain (Fresh oil/filter every 3.500klm) so I don't think you need a new chain the newer Tensioners were upgraded with a different seal set up due to so many packing up as per oil leaks the worst thing I found with theses prince engines is the oil is the biggest killer when their run on dirty & depleted oil they start to show up the weak spots in engine components & they are HP Turbos so something's got to give if their not serviced properly
Cheers Pedro if that is case new uprated tensioner and fresh oil I persume👍👍

Rczwales77

Reaction score
Cheers Pedro if that is case new uprated tensioner and fresh oil I persume👍👍
Oil sump not fitted tight enough used too much tiger seal on refit my trusted mechanic re fitted loose screws if leak persists complete strip out and re do but fingers crossed, he also doubts if they did my t chain and rocker cover 😳chain tensioner fine bone dry so all in all good news😃😃👍👍

Jrfish100

Reaction score
Got small oil leak on my RCZ, have attached some pictures from underneath car, drivers side. If anyone can help me out at what I'm looking at and potential problem I would be grateful before I take to garage.

I'm not an expert on cars but learning as I love my RCZ so much.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240205-190548.png
    Screenshot_20240205-190548.png
    290.8 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot_20240205-190549.png
    Screenshot_20240205-190549.png
    274.2 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot_20240205-190551.png
    Screenshot_20240205-190551.png
    304.6 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20240205-190553.png