What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Oil Consumption Advice

A

Anonymous

Hi all;

After a little help/advice re my 2011 156 GT if at all possible.

I purchased the car from Perrys Bolton last August with approx. 23000 miles on clock, it has never been driven particularly hard (by myself) and has now done just a little over 29,000 miles.

Top up Oil warning first came on last November, which I duly attended to and in the end ended up slightly over-filling because like a numpty I expected the electronic warning to go off when correct levels was achieved, not wait several hours to re-calibrate, Peugeot dropped the over-filled oil and put in fresh.

Since November I have been getting low oil level warnings with increasing regularity, cannot see any signs off leakage, and the last two low oil warnings had little over 1000 miles between them. I have been using Halfords own oil of the correct specification for the engine, and pointed out my concerns to the dealers when the car went in for MOT in March, only to be told, there was nothing to worry about.

I'm no mechanic myself but I have had other cars (and bikes) which I have not had to top up with engine oil for ages (if at all), so every 1000 miles or so is a little disconcerting, and help or advice would be very much appreciated.

Phil

the big blue

Reaction score
Hi Sputnik1 :greetings-wavingblue:

Have read your post ,,but you don't say whether when the oil illumination message has flashed up you have checked the oil level on the oil dipstick? You seem to indicate that you just topped up expecting the message to go out if i'm right. Always rely on the dipstick when topping up AND at all times in my opinion.

When checking your oil do this once the engine has had time to stand (on level ground) so that the oil drains back to the sump so that you take a correct reading from the dipstick.

If the dipstick level is on/or pretty close to the max level mark and you have an illuminated warning message this would indicate something untoward with the sensor sending an incorrect signal to indicate low oil hence the message you're getting flashed up on the display. If the latter i'd speak to your dealer having searched the Forum posts to see if others have suffered the same issue and what they have done!
:beer:

.the big blue (..OH' and one point, call me an "oil snob" BUT quit using the Halfords oil as you can get the recommended Total Ineo oil online for less money ,,and/or other premium brands too on Amazon etc !!) :thumbup:

hanswuk

Reaction score
Hi, it's not clear from your post if you are saying that the oil level really is dropping or the warning message is saying it has. If the former you have one type of problem, if the latter it is a sensor problem. My car has now done 29k miles and I have only once had to top it up by a small amount so I wouldn't say oil usage is normal. If you are 'losing' oil you need to establish if it is being burnt or leaking. After the car has been idling for a while and you then press the accelerator, do you get blue smoke from the exhaust? If yes it's being burnt and you will need an expert analysis of the reason. If it's leaking there should be evidence somewhere.

A

Anonymous

Hi all;

Many thanks for the responses, perhaps I was a little short on info originally, I have always checked dipstick and found oil wanting, if only a small amount, so have topped-up accordingly.

I haven't noticed any particular smoking from the exhaust but there is what I would consider to be a considerable sooty-like staining of the exhaust end.

Thanks

Phil

hanswuk

Reaction score
Sooty staining on the exhaust is fairly normal and anyway indicates burnt fuel rather than oil. You need to investigate the cause of the oil loss further.

RCZash

Reaction score
Not wanting to worry you but many moons ago my 205 was overfilled and the oil was pushed through the seal onto the clutch plate.! :cry:

A

Anonymous

I would be wary of being too liberal with the oil fills. I wouldn't be topping up the oil levels until it is showing lower down on the safe operating markings on the dipstick. If you're regularly finding that the oil levels are very low within these markings then I'd book it in to have this investigated.

tianorth

Reaction score
I agree with Mrizzle. The engine might be finding it's own level, ie getting rid of what it considers excess oil!
Obviously if it gets to the minimum then oil should be added.

A

Anonymous

I have just been to Peugeot myself about this...

I was told by the Servicing Department that as the engines run very hot, they use a litre of oil every 1500 miles!

I have never had to put oil in any of my previous cars - the service intervals were regular enough.

Does 1500 miles sound normal?

hanswuk

Reaction score
Dean6 said:

I was told by the Servicing Department that as the engines run very hot, they use a litre of oil every 1500 miles!

I have never had to put oil in any of my previous cars - the service intervals were regular enough.

Absolutely not - see my earlier post!

A

Anonymous

hanswuk said:
Dean6 said:

Absolutely not - see my earlier post!

Now that was the Peugeot Service desk and Head Mechanic telling me this!

hanswuk

Reaction score
I think you always have to work on the assumption that if a dealer can avoid getting involved in an awkward potential warranty issue they will do so. Therefore they tend to fob people off and wait for the problem to escalate rather than tackling it there and then.

the big blue

Reaction score
Hi' Sputnik1 :greetings-wavingblue:

..with regard to what Dean6 was advised ,,I so hate it when folk get told by those who you believe should know better give misleading info i.e.: employees at main dealers !! (Dean6 I'm referring to the technician NOT you of course!)

If a litre every 1500 miles, then between each say 10,000 mile interim yearly service that would be a lot of oil (approx 6.5 litres) that the said mechanic/technician would be expecting you to top up with. :thumbdown: That amount of oil is not a TOP UP its an unhealthy CONSUMPTION and its not as if our engine is a lose Alfa Romeo lump with a heritage & healthy appetite for the black gold ,,i've owned the 'twin spark' latter!

.the big blue (..listen to the other words of wisdom and get it checked ,,& not just my Back Bencher rantings!) :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

Does anyone know of or can recommend an independent garage that knows about Peugeots in the Bedfordshire / Hertfordshire area?

I've been to both of my local Peugeot garages and they come up with different solutions to my problems. My car is no longer under warranty, so they are quoting crazy money for things that may or may not be wrong with the car. If both dealers were coming up with the same problem then that would be a different story...

I just don't feel confident in my local dealers and I really grudge throwing good money after something that may not sort my problems.

Can anyone recommend anywhere?