What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Oil Catch Can on THP156

Thewhitequeen

Reaction score
hello guys
I have a 2011 manual RCZ (THP156), with some mods ( remap , downpipe and exhaust).
6 months ago I had the oil catch can installed like that old CATCHCAN.png.
(hose from the Valve cover to Catch can and from catch can to the intake)
i am thinking of installing it this way with CATCHCAN.png
(hose from the Valve cover to the Catchcan and no return to intake, hose with filter. because i don't need this dirty air with oil in it back in my intake )
Do you recommend this way ?

lfe

Reaction score
Where will the oily gases go? to a filter?

That filter will get dirty very quickly and it will stain everything nearby.

The gases are led to the intake to avoid contamination if they go directly to the atmosphere.

Thewhitequeen

Reaction score
I prefer to conduct a weekly cleaning of my filter, rather than allowing air contaminated with oil to circulate back into the engine valves.

Pedro

Reaction score
I wouldn't bother once theses engines reach 60.000+Klms they strongly recommend a walnut blast of the valve chambers which will clean all the oil residue crap out of the ports thus making it run like a new one a nice cheap easy fix instead of pipes filters etc

lfe

Reaction score
I prefer to conduct a weekly cleaning of my filter, rather than allowing air contaminated with oil to circulate back into the engine valves.

I think that this is not going to work, what is going to be contaminated is the engine cavity.

All engines discharge the gases from the crankcase to the intake, also in turbocharged engines it can also happen that some oil is lost in the turbo and reaches the intake manifold.

Thewhitequeen

Reaction score
I wouldn't bother once theses engines reach 60.000+Klms they strongly recommend a walnut blast of the valve chambers which will clean all the oil residue crap out of the ports thus making it run like a new one a nice cheap easy fix instead of pipes filters etc
I did full engine rebuild at 140k km
New Pistons
New connecting Rods
New engine head (with valves and springs)
Aluminum Vavle cover.
Now 160k km the engine runs perfect but i perfer not to let these air back in and have to clean it after,
Is there any damage done ro the engine or anything else if I install the catch can?

Attachments

• IMG_5999.jpeg
    IMG_5999.jpeg
    76 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2331.jpeg
    IMG_2331.jpeg
    60.5 KB · Views: 8

Thewhitequeen

Reaction score
I think that this is not going to work, what is going to be contaminated is the engine cavity.

All engines discharge the gases from the crankcase to the intake, also in turbocharged engines it can also happen that some oil is lost in the turbo and reaches the intake manifold.
Do you now any other way to clean this air and not getting it back to the engine?

lfe

Reaction score
Do you now any other way to clean this air and not getting it back to the engine?

Well, put a tube that throws it to the ground, as cars had 60 years ago, but that was prohibited.

Also when stopping the car, the tube will drop some oil on the ground.

If they discover the modfication in the mandatory technical review, you will not pass it

All combustion engines conduct the gases from the crankcase to the intake and this is not usually a problem, thus those polluting vapors are burned and cleaned in the catalyst converter.

And as Pedro says, that is not going to completely prevent carbon from accumulating in the valves. There are other sources of oil, such as the turbo and valve seals.