What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

NG4 3D System

A

Anonymous

I've done an extensive forum search but have only been able to find bits here and there regarding the exact features of the NG4 3D system for the RCZ. It's a £1,470 addon - so in your verdict, is it worth it?
I've just been in a friend's new VW Golf R and the screen on it was very worth-while. Touch screen, good music management features and display for parking sensors as well as the reversing camera. Is the NG4 3D for the RCZ similar to this or does it lack something?
I'm not a big fan of having the GPS navigation on it, though, as I would prefer a good TomTom but if the other features make it worth £1,470 then I'd consider it. Thanks! :)

A

Anonymous

I have the ng4 and it's good but not worth the £1470 price tag IMO. Firstly you lose ability to Bluetooth stream audio from you phone (I have iphone4 and did not know this at time of purchase and was told car does Bluetooth stream, though I was sitting in a non sat nav rcz at the time!)
Secondly it's not touch screen and takes a while to input navigation addresses from scratch (once entered they are easily recalled however).
Thirdly, Peugeot are not proving speed camera poi's, which is a basic function on all other sat nags I have (again you can load manually, but for price paid, it should be standard).
If they can sort out Bluetooth streaming, I will be happy, but it's a high price to pay for basic navigation.

A

Anonymous

I on the other hand think it's worth every penny. Adds to the class of the car, has oodles of functionality and is pretty easy to use. I install the cameras every month for a six quid a year fee. Bluetooth streaming is a nice to have but with a HDD built in as well as USB and SD I have not struggled to play music.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for replies! :)
Good to see both points of view. I'm always going to use the USB port for my music and the auxiliary 3.5mm jack so music-wise I won't need the NG4 3D. I'm more interested in its use with the car's parking sensors. How do the parking sensors give feedback to the user?
Are there any visual indicators with/without the NG4 3D?

A

Anonymous

from my test drive i can remember that the NG4 gives a pic of the car on the screen with the area's in orange and red where something is near

A

Anonymous

I will post my comments but I can't really answer your question, as I pay for want I want and don't take into account "is it worth it" I pay what it costs. You mention the parking aid. Obviously they are front as well as rear. So you get a diagram of a vehicle. Depending whether you are in 1st gear or reverse you will hear a different audible warning and see blocks appearing relevant to where the object you are approaching is, IE front right rear left, rear centre etc. They turn from green to yellow to red as you get closer to the object. But one feature that I rather like is when listening to a radio station you can select to have scrolling text, this text displays amongst other information the artist and track name of the song being played. I believe that the pop up screen gives the car a classier feel to the none sat nav display. It also shows the details of any other music being played ie from cd, ipod etc. You can watch DVD's with restrictions as the energy mode clicks in and turns the power off to save the battery if the engine is not running. The sat nav itself is not as good as a TomTom as you cannot input a 7 digit postcode only a 5. It is not as user friendly either. But I have ordered my 2nd RCZ with the sat nav option. For me it is worth it for looks alone.

A

Anonymous

OO58RON, thanks for that. Very informative. That sounds just like my friend's VW Golf R in terms of the parking sensors. Having said that, does the RCZ WITHOUT the NG4 3D have any visual indicators for the parking sensors?
If it doesn't, it makes them a bit pointless I would think as you cannot tell exact direction, just proximity (due to pitch). Not that one really needs parking sensors. I used to drive an old Ford Fiesta without air conditioning, parking sensors or power steering in Gibraltar - awesome! :)
I'm not too fussed about the radio functionality of the NG4 3D as at least I can still have the JBL Hi-Fi Pack without the NG4 3D. I would most definitely not get the NG4 3D for the GPS navigation and buying the NG4 3D for £1,470 and then a TomTom for £230 is beyond reason for me! :S
Sounds like no NG4 3D for me. Again, thank you all for your input.

Can any one without the NG4 3D enlighten me as to how much feedback you get with your parking sensors? :)

A

Anonymous

You get loads of feedback. It draws a block on the picture of the car that represents each sensor arc and range. The change colour through to red as you close on the object. Very easy ro understand and accurate.

The NG4 is more than just sat nav. The wealth of information around , media, audio, address books, phone , sat nav etc is first class.

A

Anonymous

mr shiney said:
I on the other hand think it's worth every penny. Adds to the class of the car, has oodles of functionality and is pretty easy to use. I install the cameras every month for a six quid a year fee. Bluetooth streaming is a nice to have but with a HDD built in as well as USB and SD I have not struggled to play music.

Totaly agree here,
The Ng4 has ALL the features you need, it sounds great and looks great, the parking aid will give the same info out as the standard but with a better coloured display.
As for the sat nav, you have to remember that the NG4 is a media system, it is NOT just a sat nav, it is far far more than a £200 sat nav, and yes a TomTom will have more sat nav features and will obviously be geared towards navigation, but then thats where the a TomTom features get limited, so the NG4 is more of an all rounder.

I agree the NG4 is expensive but as Ron says, just on looks alone it is a definite must to finish off the RCZ's great interior. It completely changes the face of the dash.

Go for it, otherwise you will always be thinking, "why didnt i have it" . :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

Indeed I see what you mean about it giving good ambience to the RCZ's interior. I would absolutely love an option where you get everything the NG4 3D gives you except the Sat Nav, for cheaper. For Sat Nav purposes, I'd buy a TomTom, most definitely. The issue is buying both the TomTom for £230 and the NG4 3D for £1,470. It takes the piss a bit! :p

Is there a deal I can strike with the dealership to hand out the NG4 3D for free or pretty much free? :)
Did you guys "fight" for a good deal and got given something nice for free?

EDIT: They seriously have to "fix" the inability to enter a 7 digit post code into the NG4 3D. That's a fatal flaw in my opinion.

A

Anonymous

Try to get it out of your head that the NG4 is a sat nav.
It is a top end media system with sat nav, which i find very accurate and an amazing display.
As for the post code issue, you do have a bit of a point, however 6 digit codes is the norm throughout Europe, our 7 digit system is what's at fault. it is ancient.

I thought like you at first, that it was going to be a pain, but honestly it really isnt that much of an issue, and lets be honest you can always throw a cheap new (£60)TomTom in the glove box if you really want to, thats what i do "just in case" .

I use the very first TomTom One as a backup. they are on Ebay for as little as £20 with up to date maps of the UK !!! But i think you will be pleasantly surprised at the NG4 sat nav's capabilities, not to mention it's other awsome features.

When i collected my car from the dealers in Milton Keynes i used the NG4 to guide me home to Swansea without any problems at all.

I also have a new Garmin that was given to me as an xmas gift, apparantly it is top of the range, in my opinion the NG4's sat nav will run circles around it.

A

Anonymous

i've got the NG4 as well and I love it. I didn't actually chose it as an extra, but the car was the demo model and it was already there. If I had had to spec-up a car from scratch, then i would have probably not gone for it given the cost. But now I have it, I absolutely love it. As others have said, it really completes the look of the car interior, which otherwise can look a little Peugeot-ish ;) The juke box is fab and the phone compatibility is very easy to use too. As for the postcode downside; i don't think I've ever needed to go anywhere when i only had a postcode and not a streetname or number.

go for it..... you know it makes sense ;)

A

Anonymous

jc73uk said:
I have the ng4 and it's good but not worth the £1470 price tag IMO. Firstly you lose ability to Bluetooth stream audio from you phone (I have iphone4 and did not know this at time of purchase and was told car does Bluetooth stream, though I was sitting in a non sat nav rcz at the time!)
Secondly it's not touch screen and takes a while to input navigation addresses from scratch (once entered they are easily recalled however).
Thirdly, Peugeot are not proving speed camera poi's, which is a basic function on all other sat nags I have (again you can load manually, but for price paid, it should be standard).
If they can sort out Bluetooth streaming, I will be happy, but it's a high price to pay for basic navigation.

As I mentioned before.. Due to functionality shortages.. not worth the price tag IMO - but then all manufacturers charge exorbitant prices for integrated sat nav/media centres (I just don't know if they all have similar issues).
However, as most others have mentioned, I also agree it looks the business in the car, which is why I also have it in my RCZ, and I know for sure if it was not there, I would definitely miss it (though I always have my iphone TomTom app running simultaneously mounted on the centre console for speed cams and live traffic routing which I can compare to traffic recommendations from the NG4). The NG4 display is excellent in 2D mode (which I prefer) for showing all of the street name detail in the vicinity. Not tried the DVD, but I can't really see any use for that due to legal limitations of use. Parking sensors visual display is great as well as the phone book integration. I have thought about installing an after market Sat/Nav/Media centre, but didn't really want the hassel, and after reading some other threads where people have done this, there always seem to be some niggles such as maintaining the ability to reset the RCZ clock.

A

Anonymous

jc73uk said:
Thirdly, Peugeot are not proving speed camera poi's, .

Theres lots of links on here for up to date speed camera locations, and low cost too. :dance:

People need to stop comparing the NG4 to a stand alone sat nav. :sleeping-yellow:

If it were just a sat nav then i would agree that it does not compare to the likes of say a TomTom, but it is NOT a sat nav.
My son has installed a Pioneer media system in his car, it has very simular features as the NG4, dvd, bluetooth, sat nav, voice control ect ect, and cost around £800 without fitting, he installs media center's, sat nav's and in car audio entertaiment for a living.
In his opinion, and he has sold and installed many makes of sat navs and audio/media systems, the NG4's MEDIA features are slightly better than his current Pioneer and far better than many other make on the market at the moment, he thinks the sat nav on the NG4 compares favourably with most stand alone sat navs and in fact better than some on the market.
You will adjust to the 6 digit post codeing, it is not a problem.

However like he constantly says to customers, do you want a basic sat nav or an audio media center with sat nav. There is a difference, the media centers being the dogs dangly bits and the sat nav's being just that, a sat nav !!!

A

Anonymous

I was wondering when you spec the NG4 system, is the central LCD display between the Tach and Speedo different from the standard fit too? It would be wonderful if that was a colour LCD screen too (as in Audi's) but I'm guessing that's probably unlikely.

A

Anonymous

The Hemulen said:
I was wondering when you spec the NG4 system, is the central LCD display between the Tach and Speedo different from the standard fit too? It would be wonderful if that was a colour LCD screen too (as in Audi's) but I'm guessing that's probably unlikely.
Yes, it is different, it is a larger screen, but is mono chrome not colour