What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

new to the forum and about to buy an RCZ

krown

Reaction score
Greetings from Germany!
I'm just about to buy a late 2010 RCZ THP200 with just about 100.000 KM on the odometer
I've read a few posts on this forum before regarding an aftermarket android radio installment but i have no idea what specific headunit is present in the car right now, as i have no idea about the specific terminology (what exactly is an NG4 for example.. lol?)
I'll attach a picture from the seller down below, it doesn't have JBL speakers as far as i can tell (should have a bright silvery sticker on the door panel for that... right?)

1700663123411.png1700663118423.png

So i've got a few questions about all of that, i really really want a new headunit with android auto capabilities, i've seen posts mentioning a connects2 adapter, is it possible to tell which one i need exactly without knowing the headunit i'd connect that to... most headunits have generic KEY1, KEY2 GND connection for steering wheel controls.
Also what about the parking sensors..?

I would also be pulling a few new wires to be able to install a subwoofer later on (probably with an extra amp, perhaps even a pair of two underseat subs) but i'm fairly confident i can figure that out on my own.

This kind of dash screen should keep its functions from what i've read, is that correct? I'd be beally sad to lose something and not be able to fix it.

i'd also love some recommendations for headunits, what i've heard the ATOTO A6 PF are really hyped right now, and they're also selling a 9 inch version which should (?) fit with the right fascia (?) Ideally i'm looking for a really good wireless android auto connection, the no-name china one i have in my current VW Polo does have Bluetooth Android Auto, but its extremely stuttery and cuts off randomly, just its an awful experience, so i'm using wired android auto which does work extremely nice, but i dont want to keep using wired android auto in the RCZ.
Must have for the headunit: Subwoofer RCA output(s) and a stable high quality android auto/apple carplay experience with reversing camera inputs

I'll also be doing a lot on the car in the coming times, custom ambient lighting, an entire proper sound system, purple wrap, maxton design kit, sport exhaust... yea well thats its lol

Cheers!

Last edited:

lfe

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum !

NG4 and later RT6 were an option with a GPS navigator and retractable screen that your car does not have installed.

Your car has the same screen and radio that were installed in millions of Peugeot and Citroen cars as basic equipment. There are several options on the market to replace it with an Android screen, you just have to consult an expert car radio workshop who will surely have already made this modification before.

RCZ-mad

Reaction score
This is the one I'm getting, I've seen plenty of photos from people posting about using this exact one...its plug'n'play, does everything you need and brings the interior into the 2020's.

krown

Reaction score
This is the one I'm getting, I've seen plenty of photos from people posting about using this exact one...its plug'n'play, does everything you need and brings the interior into the 2020's.

Wow yeah thats a really nice deal considering it includes everything you need.. really sad part is that they aren't shipping to germany as far as i can tell :rolleyes:
and on another really sad note: about the car i mentioned above, i messaged the seller to set up a meeting and take a look at the car... he forgot to mark it as reserved and it's probably selling soon.. so i'll have to keep looking

edit: but i found this radio in the meantime, seems to be the saem except for a different android version and perhaps the heatsink is different which could actually make a difference

Last edited:

RCZ-mad

Reaction score
Wow yeah thats a really nice deal considering it includes everything you need.. really sad part is that they aren't shipping to germany as far as i can tell :rolleyes:
and on another really sad note: about the car i mentioned above, i messaged the seller to set up a meeting and take a look at the car... he forgot to mark it as reserved and it's probably selling soon.. so i'll have to keep looking

edit: but i found this radio in the meantime, seems to be the saem except for a different android version and perhaps the heatsink is different which could actually make a difference
Despite the 'brand' names being different and some very slight differences here and there (like the heat sink you pointed out), all of those types of systems are made in China at the same few factories.

Anyone can fly to China, go directly to one of those factories and place an order for hundreds or thousands of these type devices to be made (there is always a minimum order amount) and they usually have parameters you can ask to be tweaked to your specifications, like how much RAM to put in, CPU etc.

And once you've decided on specs and its appearance, you give them your 'brand' details and they'll stamp it wherever it needs to be and even prepare the Android software with your branding.

So, forget about the 'brand' names, the things that matter most are to ensure you get a good CPU/RAM combination and then look at what other things they might include or are optional, like reverse cams etc.

Prices can vary wildly for essentially the same product so ideally look around at what is available for you that can be shipped to Germany and get familiar with average costs for the various spec combinations.

Bottom line is, you should get the one you found on German ebay, its basically the same thing.

krown

Reaction score
I'm really surprised by the very detailed product description, its not something i'm used to with china products, the radio i have in my current car (VW Polo) is a no-name China product too and had basically no description just some poorly made pictures.
I've found another one with a 4gb RAM config for about 220€ with the frame and canbus adapter, which should be enough for a proper android auto experience i think, my current one has 2gb and its just not good enough, especially on bluetooth connection its extremely laggy but that shouldnt have anything to do with the RAM capacity

RCZ-mad

Reaction score
I'm really surprised by the very detailed product description, its not something i'm used to with china products, the radio i have in my current car (VW Polo) is a no-name China product too and had basically no description just some poorly made pictures.
I've found another one with a 4gb RAM config for about 220€ with the frame and canbus adapter, which should be enough for a proper android auto experience i think, my current one has 2gb and its just not good enough, especially on bluetooth connection its extremely laggy but that shouldnt have anything to do with the RAM capacity
Yes 4GB is acceptable which is why I suggested you get that one you showed me. However, to be completely sure of the experience, I always try to get more than 4GB ram in any of these things, at least 6GB so if you can find any with 6 or 8 then that would be my personal recommendation.

Because they are really just an Android phone and I've found that 6GB is really the minimum to ensure best performance. However, whatever you do end up getting, when you connect it to wifi and do all of the outstanding updates, then you should uninstall or at the least disable everything you do not intend to use as there can be some programs/apps that run at startup and take up resources in the background.

krown

Reaction score
Thanks for the information! You seem to know quite a bit! Do you have any experience with wireless Android Auto / Car Play on these kinds of radios? i'd really hate to use a wired connection to be honest.. :/

RCZ-mad

Reaction score
Thanks for the information! You seem to know quite a bit! Do you have any experience with wireless Android Auto / Car Play on these kinds of radios? i'd really hate to use a wired connection to be honest.. :/
Absolutely you don't need to use a cable anymore, they have bluetooth so you can connect straight up.

Now, I haven't used one of these devices with Carplay so cannot comment on how good that is but I have used Android Auto no problems in other units like this, I would think as these types of devices have been offering Carplay for quite some time, I would assume it works just fine. (I'm not an Apple guy)

krown

Reaction score
Absolutely you don't need to use a cable anymore, they have bluetooth so you can connect straight up.

Now, I haven't used one of these devices with Carplay so cannot comment on how good that is but I have used Android Auto no problems in other units like this, I would think as these types of devices have been offering Carplay for quite some time, I would assume it works just fine. (I'm not an Apple guy)
yeah cause the headunit i have in my car has wireless Android Auto but it's absolutely useless when paired wirelessly, it "works" but its a stuttery mess... but that was an absolute junk unit from aliexpress for around 70€ so i wasnt surprised by that :D

RCZ-mad

Reaction score
yeah cause the headunit i have in my car has wireless Android Auto but it's absolutely useless when paired wirelessly, it "works" but its a stuttery mess... but that was an absolute junk unit from aliexpress for around 70€ so i wasnt surprised by that :D
haha yeah you have to spend a bit more for decent performance, the one I got for the Alfa 159 was just over 200€, where as the one I've order for the RCZ is about 240€, but it has a bigger screen than the Alfa.

The performance has been fine, no lag and no issues at all, had the one in the Alfa almost two years now.