What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

New Member - require help/advice please - oil leak on my RCZ

A

Anonymous

Hi All members
I have just registered and I am looking for some help/advice from fellow members.
My Girlfriend has a Peugeot RCZ 2011 which about a month ago had a sensor light come on indicating low engine oil level.
In our blissful ignorance we sought advice of local Car accessory shop who advised the correct synthetic oil type to top oil.
I topped up approx. half a litre and low and behold sensor light went off and we thought problem solved
Unfortunately we realised over the next couple of weeks that there were patches of oil on the driveway.
My Girlfriend booked the car in for an MOT and also to get the oil drip/leak investigated at a Peugeot dealership
They stopped MOT because of oil leak and then advised us that they traced it to a seal around the timing chain tensioner and that the tensioner was replaced as well as the seal ??? Costing an eye watering £550 - stating the car was road tested and no sign of any oil leak.
Well over the course of the 3 days since we took car home it has still 'spotted' oil on the driveway and we have booked the car back in to garage for them to resolve but the garage say it 'might be a leak elsewhere, !!!!
I would have thought spending 3 hours on the investigation and informing us the cause was the seal at the tensioner and the tensioner itself would resolve the problem.
Is ther e anyone else out there who has had similar issues or could advise as I feel we have been ripped off and maybe setting ourselves up to be ripped off again...
Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated as the car going in to Garage this Friday 19/8/16 - the earliest the garage 'could fit us in'......

tianorth

Reaction score
Re: New Member - require help/advice please - oil leak on my

You can state to the repairing garage that the vehicle was left with them to investigate, and resolve the source of the leaking oil, that you have paid the quoted price for the work to be complete and since it's still happening they are to resolve it themselves!

Yes unfortunately it seems like they are trying to rip you off.
How long have you had the vehicle?
If it's within 6 months you can go back to the purchasing garage and get them to repair it.

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score

Hi and welcome, :wave:
What a shame your having a nightmare with your new car! Your repairing garage has ripped you off big style! There is no way replacing the timing chain tensioner should have cost £550!!! My dealer (official Peugeot dealer only charged that for a full timing chain/tensioner and guides! The tensioner itself is held in place by one bolt and is a relatively easy replacement.
There is an O ring oil seal on the tensioner and this is possibly where your "leak" came from but I think it's dubious. Im sure there have been posts on here that have given instructions on DiY tensioner replacement which takes around an hour to complete. The new tensioner isn't that expensive either the whole timing kit comes in at under £150!

You need to go back to your dealer and be firm that you want this sorting or a trip to trading standards is on the cards!

Hope you get it sorted keep us informed how you get on.

Give Peter Ambrose of castleford a call and ask them what it should cost for the work you've had done that may give you some ammo to fire at your dealer.
Good luck. :eusa-think:

A

Anonymous

CarPhil65 said:
Hi All members
I have just registered and I am looking for some help/advice from fellow members.
My Girlfriend has a Peugeot RCZ 2011 which about a month ago had a sensor light come on indicating low engine oil level.
In our blissful ignorance we sought advice of local Car accessory shop who advised the correct synthetic oil type to top oil.
I topped up approx. half a litre and low and behold sensor light went off and we thought problem solved
Unfortunately we realised over the next couple of weeks that there were patches of oil on the driveway.
My Girlfriend booked the car in for an MOT and also to get the oil drip/leak investigated at a Peugeot dealership
They stopped MOT because of oil leak and then advised us that they traced it to a seal around the timing chain tensioner and that the tensioner was replaced as well as the seal ??? Costing an eye watering £550 - stating the car was road tested and no sign of any oil leak.
Well over the course of the 3 days since we took car home it has still 'spotted' oil on the driveway and we have booked the car back in to garage for them to resolve but the garage say it 'might be a leak elsewhere, !!!!
I would have thought spending 3 hours on the investigation and informing us the cause was the seal at the tensioner and the tensioner itself would resolve the problem.
Is ther e anyone else out there who has had similar issues or could advise as I feel we have been ripped off and maybe setting ourselves up to be ripped off again...
Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated as the car going in to Garage this Friday 19/8/16 - the earliest the garage 'could fit us in'......
If it's within a month since purchasing the car from a garage. You have a legal right to have a full refund, replacement or repair to your vehicle. Once it goes over a month it's more of a struggle to get issues resolved.
I hope for £550 the chain was replaced too. The garage that supplied you the car should be picking up the bill. I'd take it back to the garage & state the repair wasn't carried out to a satisfactory standard. Put it in writing to the manager.