What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

My 50 cents on the RCZ after my first 1800 km

A

Anonymous

I've been driving my RCZ (company lease car) for about two weeks and 1800km now. It is a very basic one, 156hp manual opal white. Only option I added where the 19" sortilege rims and I've had the dealer install heating in the seats. I totally love the car, but off course it has some pros and cons which I thought would be nice to write down and see if others agree. Everything below is off course my opinion and some of you might totally feel the opposite way about it.

Let's start with the pros:
* I very much like the handling and driving experience all together. The engine is really smooth and changing gears is a pleasure. The steering is pretty direct, which does takes a little bit of getting used to. This is in perfect alignment with all the other reviews out there on the internet. Also, the car has enough power at the bottom of the second gear, so it never forces you to switch back to first when your driving really slow in the city (no engine stutter). The 156hp is not really a beast or anything, it's sure fast but you don't get the feeling like being in a supercar or anything. To me it is actually perfect because I mainly use the car for my daily trip to work.
* I really like the looks of the car. I had my doubts on which color to take, but the opal is just supercool. I get a lot of comments from people not liking white cars, but when seeing mine, they make an exception :). Also the 19" sortilege rims just look awesome on it in combination with the white. Only strange thing about the car is that a lot of people ask me whether it is a cabrio or how to take to top down.
* The hill assist was a little bit of a suprise to me, but it turns out to be a nice feature. It makes city driving (and traffic jams) a lot easier.
* I've driven Peugeots before (my last car was a 407) and I still like the speed limiter for driving the highways. Much better than cruise control on approaching cars while someone is overtaking you on the left lane.
* The mid-console can be slided forwards and clicked upwards, this gives really support for your arm on the shift-stick side.
* The space in the two front seats is actually pretty good, my passengers up to now where surprised how much spaces for their legs they had.
* The same applies for the trunk, also lots of space there. This includes the extra storage compartments where the spare wheel could have been, really handy. Also the cover of this extra storage clickes up nicely behind two nops and allows for the trunk light to shine into the extra compartments.
* Small details, like the analog clock is always synced with the digital one, gives you the feeling that Peugeot took extra care on the experience they want the owner to have. I also really like the way the dashboard looks when it's dark outside.
* The (fake) leather interior is really nice, very cool that this is standard on the RCZ.
* I like the fact that the side mirrors fold in automatically (also standard). Although at some point it did that when I was driving, forcing me to stop the car. It took me 10 minutes to figure out there was a button on the left door panel, which I accidentally pushed when closing the window :$.
* The car is quite efficient on fuel. Even though I don't pay for fuel since it's a lease car, I still like it.

But off course there is still room for improvement (stuff you don't experience on the test drive), here are my cons, there all just minor but maybe you recognize some of them:
* Filling up the car with fuel requires you holding the pump in a really strange and uncomfortable position. I guess this is a trade-off for the shape of the car. Also the car alerts you too early for an empty tank and in a quite persuasive way, when I get my alert I can only get 46 liters out of 55 in the tank. I think the alert should come when there is only 5 liters left and no moment before that.
* There aren't a lot of good storing spaces in the car itself. Basically you have the pockets in the door, the mid-console and the glove compartment, but that's it. I have trouble finding good places for stuff like my telephone charger, tomtom etc. Also, since the right door pocket and the glove compartment aren't really reachable in save way when driving, you don't really have a lot of options left.
* The 12v charger is not in the best imaginable place, leaving the cable upwards between your arm and the shift-stick, also I would have liked to have two (like another one at the back of the mid-console).
* Only one cup-holder.
* The restraint (don't know if that's the correct english word for head rest) of the front two seats feel really hard when laying your head to rest.
* Closing the trunk using the inside grips is not really working for me. In order to completely close it you either have to pull really hard and hope you get your hand out of the way in time or push the top of trunk with your hands (which transfers the dirt of your car onto your hands).
* The bluetooth system won't save my setting for streaming audio when the car restarts. This means I have to click Source twice when switching between USB and radio, since there is no music on my phone. Also it doesn't recognize if there is anything connected on aux, which means again two presses when going back from radio to USB (well, at least that's consistent :p).
* Everyone I call using bluetooth complains about the bad quality of the call. But I can hear them absolutely perfect. I suspect there is something wrong with the microphone and I'm going to ask Peugeot if they can have a look at it. I never had any complaints in my 407 with the same phone, which I think basically uses the same bluetooth system. Therefore I have good hope a new microphone will fix the problem.
* The car makes me drive too fast, which is off course not his fault, it's just too much fun :p. When others clear the road when you approach on the highway, you just feel like you need to live up to their expectations (and again so follows another push through the speed limiter)..

RCZ1

Reaction score
Soe interesting points you make there arjan.

The directness of the steering did take a bit of getting used to, I agree. Not what I was previously used to either.

The Hill Assist is an excellent addition and very useful although can cause problems when driving another car and you forget you don't have it :eusa-think:

The fake leather interior adds an extra special feel to the car. Much, much better than a standard plastic trim.

Unlike you, I love the fact that the fuel filler is on top of the car. Gives you that super car feeling :thumbup:
I think the low fuel alert goes off when you have 50 miles of fuel left (depending on your driving speed/consumption at the time.

Not had any problems with sound quality when using the phone via Bluetooth. A super system. :thumbup:

A brilliant car which does make you have moments of madness :eusa-whistle:

A

Anonymous

Two very good points; glove box is a bit small and I also don't like the position of the 12v socket - bit of a pain when I fit my tom tom... otherwise I love this car.. best car I've ever owned!

A

Anonymous

Well Since collecting my car early march I've done 6700 miles and here is my review :)

1. The engine is superb considering the size...pulls right up to the limit and the torque is good. Typically change upto 4th and let the torque do the rest instead of thrashing through the lower gears
2. Short Shift gearbox is a delight...and the hill start assist is very good
3. Looks are amazing, nice when on the motorways to see people overtake slowly to get a good look (unless I'm in the fast lane at stage 2 :) )
4. Like the Phone system. Have installed a onboard SIM and also use my work Blackberry via bluetooth. Like the way I can switch between phones using the menu
5. Like the Orange colour setup on the NG4 display colour options...better than the standard
6. Love the noise. I also drive a V6 but surprised at the nice sound from a flat 4 ..I know it's artificial but it is good
7. Love my car to bits...

gripe
1. Another month before I can get my quad conversion :-(
2. Front seat belt was tight so I have purchased a mini belt loosener (only by 2cm )
3. get flashed a lot by other cars thinking I have left my lights on (driving light mode on) ..wish they were LED to stop them thinking that
4. warmer weather = more bugs = more cleaning
5. Still cant DVD function to work despite dealer using a DVD which worked...is it a format thing ??

A

Anonymous

Some really great straight forward comments here. :clap:

Makes me even more excited to collect mine next week. :dance:

I've never used hill assist or cruise control/speed limiter so that will be interesting. :oops:

I think i'm gonna be thrown in at the deep end. :?

As for the DVD issue, i think it is a format thing, it's a good job that my son is right into all things techy otherwise my RCZ would just be sitting on the drive gagging to be played with.

It sounds like the Starship Enterprise on wheels. ( Onyx Black Solstice 19's ) :lol:

A

Anonymous

What is "hill assist" never heard of it. Do I have it on my GT?

RCZ1

Reaction score
Yes, it's standard on all models.

If you are stopped on an incline, keep your foot on the brake pedal. When you come to move away and take your foot off the foot brake, the car will hold itself for about 2 seconds without moving. Enough time to get on to the accelerator to move off. It's great.

A

Anonymous

No need to apply handbrake then ?
So basicaly, out of gear, foot on brake, then into gear and pull away ?

A

Anonymous

This is going to be a few days of very interesting driveing.

If you own an RCZ and you pull up behind a white RCZ on a hill in Swansea just leave a bit of a gap eh . :oops:

A

Anonymous

1. Re the hill start assist it also works if you're reversing and is such a bonus. I was parked facing down on quite a steep hill and didn't have to worry about the handbrake at all!
2. As for the fuel filling position I'm with RCZ1 on that, it just looks so much more supercar-ish than the standard position of all others, even if it is slightly awkward for my feeble female wrist!
3. I have my DRLs switched on and am surprised that people still flash to suggest that lights have been left on (not to ME) as so many cars now also have DRLs running.
4. Haven't had any complaints about sound quality when using the bluetooth.
5. Have to agree that the car just makes you want to drive fast. My brother calls me Stirling Moth (5'2") because I've always loved leaving other cars standing once the lights turn green :lol: .

Had Freddie now since late October and love him to bits. Did a naughty thing two days ago and took him to a new car wash business (I know, don't nag!!!) and the four guys were tripping over themselves to get their hands all over him. You should have heard the compliments that were flying over my head (about the car!) as I sat inside feeling all smug (and a bit guilty about letting them wash him but it was too darned hot and sunny to do him justice myself). One guy said Freddie was the nicest car he'd seen in a long time and I can't argue with that. Long live the RCZ :thumbup: .

A

Anonymous

RCZ1 said:
Lorraine, I shake my head at you :shock:
I know, I know, I was expecting at least that from you, Special K :oops: . The thing was, I'd already washed Freddie the previous day with some of the lovely stuff I got in the prize (shampoo smells like cherry marzipan) but he was a bit streaky and I was curious about the new venture so thought I'd give them one shot. I will try harder because actually I love washing Freddie and running my hands over his curves.

A

Anonymous

For shame on you Bangor, :eek:
If there was a helpline for poorly treated RCZ's, i would be contacting them right now....... :lol:

A

Anonymous

RCZ1 said:
Yes, it's standard on all models.

If you are stopped on an incline, keep your foot on the brake pedal. When you come to move away and take your foot off the foot brake, the car will hold itself for about 2 seconds without moving. Enough time to get on to the accelerator to move off. It's great.

Oh that's all right then. All I need to do now is to find a hill to try it out! Sounds like a good excuse for going on a long run.

A

Anonymous

bee said:
a long run for me no hills in lincs[/quote

I know I used to live in Gosberton near Spalding. I also realise that Lincolnshire is a huge county and you probably have never heard of the place.

A

Anonymous

jactac said:
For shame on you Bangor, :eek:
If there was a helpline for poorly treated RCZ's, i would be contacting them right now....... :lol:
I know, but to make it up to Freddie I gave him his third wash in one week :thumbup: ...a record for me! This morning (Sat) I awoke to discover the local bird population had been celebrating the Royal nuptials with a berry feast and then decided to dive-bomb poor Freddie with disgusting purple poop from tip to toe :x so this evening he got shampooed, dried and polished. I used a new product, Frank Williams F1 showroom shine and must say it was easy to use and Freddie came up a treat. Too late by the time I'd finished to take his pic and hopefully those darned birds will buzz off and leave him alone.