What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Mk2 chain rattle

A

Anonymous

Just out of interest how many others have had the timing chain rattle on the mk2 1.6 TPH156 engine .
Apart form Boroboy and myself, and did they sort it under warranty without issue.

A

Anonymous

Cool, nobody else just us two that bought the Friday afternoon specials .

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Mine's a 200 & (touch wood) been OK to date. It's 3 years old next month 26k. Goes in for its 3rd service on 6th September. They are also doing its 1st MOT :eek:

A

Anonymous

Mcb2007 said:
Just got ours back. Hard to tell yet if it's sorted all of the engine noise. How's yours now from a cold start?

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, mine 156thp needed replacing at 17k just out of warranty but because the car had full service history by indi garage Peugeot didn't want to know!
Luckily indi dealer l bought it from had to pay Peugeot to do the repair.
Two years on and All's well although I've only covered another 7K in that time. :beer:

A

Anonymous

Boroboy said:
Mcb2007 said:
Just got ours back. Hard to tell yet if it's sorted all of the engine noise. How's yours now from a cold start?

All seems good so far no rattle ,fingers crossed .

A

Anonymous

Just had mine sorted, it's the time chain tensioner, not expensive, but if that doesn't cure it, then you need a ne chain and that's what will be expensive.

A

Anonymous

I hoped they checked your chain for any stretch , mine was just out of the tolerance range so they changed that ant the guides . You would have thought they would have replaced yours as a good will gesture . Are you covered under warranty ? Or was it down to cost.

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi no that don't sound right needs to go back to dealers asap. :eusa-think:

A

Anonymous

It appears to be a "known" problem and pretty poor showing that these timing chains on the petrol are going down as well as causing engine damage in some cases - what has Pegout done about this?

During a service by Pegout, is the timing chain and tensioners checked?

The car we bought is the rarer automatic.

All help appreciated.

Thanks

Sanity

Reaction score
mmssgg said:
Hi

However, been reading re 'timing belts/chains' - this appears to be a known problem.

During a service by Pegout, is the timing chain and tensioners checked?

Thanks

Yes its a known problem.

No they dont check during a service.

chain rattle from engine bay on a cold start will most likely be a indication of a replecement needed.
156hk engines are more present with this issue then the 200hk.
on Diesels this isnt a issue as they have belts instead of chain.

A

Anonymous

ok, thanks

I am a bit surprised that a design fault is allowed to go on for so long without being rectified and revised parts.

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
There is a revised tensioner and guides which are a little beefed up. One of the issues is that with the tensioner being hydraulic it needs a plentiful supply of good quality clean oil, some of these engines seem to use a little oil so need to be kept an eye on the level, also I’ve heard Peugeot are now recommending using Total ineo first as your regular service oil, this is the oil Peugeot use in brand new engines.

A

Anonymous

Unfortunately these engines suffer from numerous issues. Down to bad design. Same engines that are used in the mini cooper s, some BMW's too. Timing chains should not be failing at these mileages. I've always kept an eye on my oil level, serviced by the main dealer.