What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Me and my BIG mouth

DKZ5745

Reaction score
So, a few days ago, in response to a new members question about reliability, I said this was probably the most reliable car I had owned, and in 5 years I had never had any real problems.

This morning under quite hard acceleration in 4th, I felt a slight judder, misfire maybe, I eased off & the car seemed ok.
A few seconds later, as I went to accelerate again, EML total misfire, juddering uphill & slowing down.

Called the wonderful people at Evans Halshaw Wakefield and explained I had a Peugeot Platinum extended warranty taken out through them - along with a service contract including MOT cover, again taken out through them, so you could say, quite a loyal customer.

I further explained that I had a weekend away booked leaving this Friday which I needed my car for, or worse case scenario a courtesy car.

They said the first day they could fit me in would be next week, and no courtesy cars available until 2nd week in December.
So a big thank you there to my local Peugeot dealership.

Several calls later, it was dropped off at a local garage, who unfortunately due to some bad experiences refused to deal with any warranty companies, so I would need to pay the bill and try to recover whatever I could from my warranty.

The garage Called me this afternoon to say they had done a diagnostic and also conferred with a colleague of theirs who was a mechanic for Peugeot. Coil pack 2 had failed, and on removal of the plugs, they were in need of replacement. On advice from their contact, they wanted to replace all 4 coil packs and the plugs, and were prepared to do so on a like for like basis including labour and diagnostic fee for £254.

I agreed to the work which they intend to do tomorrow once they have the parts.

I contacted Peugeot Platinum Warranty, who said they wouldn’t cover the cost of the plugs or the labour for replacing them. They would also only cover the 1 coil pack that had failed, and the labour for replacing that 1 coil.

The proviso for this was that the garage had to contact them and deal directly with them - something they had already told me they wouldn’t do.

Bearing in mind this garage was the only one I could find that could get the job done before Friday, and was also a garage that I knew to have a good reputation, I gave them a quick call, and as I expected, they said I would be better going to another garage if I wanted to put things through a warranty company.

As I was only likely to be getting @£40 - @£50 towards the cost, I told them to just go ahead and get it sorted & I would just have to put this one down to experience.

Next time someone asks how reliable the RCZ is, can someone remind me to button it :eusa-shhh:

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Bloody hell! That’s Sod’s law that is :crazy:

At lest it’s a relatively easy cheapish fix and nothing major :thumbup:

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Let’s just hope (I have read on these very pages more times than I would like to remember) this actually solves the problem.
I can’t imagine why it wouldn’t, it wasn’t coil pack 4 so hopefully, not the hpfp, as although this is definitely covered by my warranty, I know I wouldn’t have a prayer of getting it sorted before Friday. So that would be my weekend away stuffed :eek:

emjay82

Reaction score
I had this same issue a few weeks ago, sods law I had just started a driving route in Wales at 07:30 and the issue happened at 07:40!!! The engine fault light came on and the car started juddering, pulled over and used the ODB reader to diagnose it was ignition coil 3. I called Greenflag for the car to be recovered back to Buckinghamshire but instead they had it towed to a nearby garage who changed all 4 coils and spark plugs for £230. Touching wood, no further issues with the coils etc... :eusa-shhh:

DKZ5745

Reaction score
I should hopefully find out in a couple of hours if mine is working at the moment, then I suppose time will tell if it’s OK long term.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
It’s back :thumbup:

Drove perfectly on way home. :dance:

Invoice says diagnostic - engine misfire cylinder 2 coil pack.

Changed all 4 coils, 4 spark plugs total price £255

Reaction score
Not a good advert for Peugeot's warranty.

Not very helpful of them at all.

Plecodoras

Reaction score
Well what can I say Pete.... I am in the same position as you with regards warranty and had the same thing happen to me the week before I went to Austria... coil pack 2.
Peugeot @ Castleford who I went to after the EML warning came on was very good ...
They
A) told me I couldn't drive the car - which left me stranded
so,
B) they drove me home.
C) didn't charge for the diag as they recovered this cost from Peugeot
D) told me that the warranty would only cover the 1 coil pack and labour, but I said do all four
E) this was all on Thursday afternoon
F) by Friday @ 10 am they had done all four, cost to me £133 cost to warranty company £95
G) only charged me £15 for the labour as the warranty was already covering the initial repair.

I drove over 2000 miles in Austria and as already posted, maxed the car on the Autobahn several times to the limit, and had no issues since.

I hope you have many more worry free miles ahead... That was poor service you received on this occasion, but as you can see not all Peugeot garages are the same.