What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Loud Rattle when car start in Hot Weather

A

Anonymous

Hi I have noticed in my 2013 RCZ has a wierd loud rattle only when I start it when it's been sitting out in the sun or warm weather very strange taking it back to Peugeot next week very unhappy. Anyone else had this issue ?, :x

Another RCZ

Reaction score
Yes, noticed this on mine after regular daily use (when it's easier to spot patterns of events). When starting the car in the morning there doesn't appear to be a rattle - and the engine settles down quickly to idle just below 1000 rpm. When starting the car after a day at work, on a warm afternoon, the rattle is quite evident, disturbingly so - and the engine tries to idle at around 1200 rpm. However, I have now got into the habit of turning the ignition off straight away, waiting a few seconds, then re-starting the engine. The idle speed settles to below 1000 rpm (as it does in the morning)... and I then wait a couple of minutes before setting off for home. This seems to minimise the graunching noise that would occur if driving away 'quickly'.

Other than that, the car seems fine. It has had the known timing chain fix (apparently), but the engine is still a very noisy one and is lightly rattling as I park the car after a 30-mile journey.

Not sure if this is 'normal'... and quite worried that there's a long-term problem here.

A

Anonymous

Sounds a bit like mine developed the other week. It reappeared yesterday morning. For me it's been 1st thing in the morning. Sounds like a tractor for about 20 seconds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RCZ1

Reaction score
CatherineF said:
Sounds a bit like mine developed the other week. It reappeared yesterday morning. For me it's been 1st thing in the morning. Sounds like a tractor for about 20 seconds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same again for me Catherine - but it had been stood for 2 days !

A

Anonymous

I'm no expert but, timing chain issue or oil not getting to the tappets maybe :eusa-think: ?

RCZ1

Reaction score
My learned husband says when a car has been stood for a day or two or longer, the oil drops to the bottom? Therefore on start up it takes time for the oil to circulate - hence the noise. It does only last for a short time on mine and doesn't do it again when used every day.

Blog: http://rczandme.wordpress.com/

A

Anonymous

so how do we fix this ? will Peugeot do anything about it I am really not happy about its like I am driving a old banger lol

RCZ1

Reaction score
eddreed said:
so how do we fix this ? will Peugeot do anything about it I am really not happy about its like I am driving a old banger lol

It should only do it when the cars been stood for more than a day when starting it up. It lasts for 30 seconds or so and that's it.

If its happening longer or under different circumstances then it's not normal and should be taken to be investigated.

Blog: http://rczandme.wordpress.com/

A

Anonymous

Mine did the same thing again last Sunday morning, it hadn't been left standing for a long time.

I did wonder if it sounded more like a guard rattling.

I start my new job on the 4th August so I'll be able to get some answers from our Master Tech.

A

Anonymous

The oil dropping to the sump is the issue, there is nothing you can do about it and the hot weather will make it seem worse (the viscosity will lower with heat)

I wouldnt worry about it and im an engine technician (gas turbine and piston from single to four stroke)

A

Anonymous

did anyone get this sorted mine seemed to have got worse really unhappy taking it into Peugeot again for the 3rd time said they can keep it till they sort it, I want it fixed, the rattle sounds awful like I am driving a old banger lol not funny lol.

A

Anonymous

they think its the timing chain on the engine ? got to strip the engine down to fix it they say :(

A

Anonymous

eddreed said:
they think its the timing chain on the engine ? got to strip the engine down to fix it they say :(

at least its getting fixed! :)

NATSPLATNAT

Reaction score
My beloved car has had this rattle since about 14 months old (11 reg). Rattles in all weather conditions and does not seem to be related to the length of time the vehicle has stood for. Even leaving on tick-over before pulling away, the rattle will continue through acceleration right up to 4th gear, mainly in the highest rev bracket for each gear (based on 'normal' driving style), then it stops. Has been in the garage for it 4 times and no answers have been given - only suggestion at 14months old was to strip the engine (we had suggested a hydraulic tappet issue).

Back in the garage now after an ENGINE FAULT - REPAIR NEEDED issue (faulty water-pump electronics), and they have now said the engine rattle is a known fault with the timing chain.... something they had no knowledge of at all back in May when it was last in.

I am expecting an update today - I will let you all know their findings! :eusa-think:

NATSPLATNAT

Reaction score
My beloved car has had this rattle since about 14 months old (11 reg). Rattles in all weather conditions and does not seem to be related to the length of time the vehicle has stood for. Even leaving on tick-over before pulling away, the rattle will continue through acceleration right up to 4th gear, mainly in the highest rev bracket for each gear (based on 'normal' driving style), then it stops. Has been in the garage for it 4 times and no answers have been given - only suggestion at 14months old was to strip the engine (we had suggested a hydraulic tappet issue).

Back in the garage now after an ENGINE FAULT - REPAIR NEEDED issue (faulty water-pump electronics), and they have now said the engine rattle is a known fault with the timing chain.... something they had no knowledge of at all back in May when it was last in.

I am expecting an update today - I will let you all know their findings! :eusa-think:

A

Anonymous

Thanks sounds like a major issue which better be fixed or I will be not happy.

A

Anonymous

Did u hear anything back ?? just wondering mine is going in for 3 days on the 16th September.

NATSPLATNAT

Reaction score
Car is still in the garage - their last update yesterday afternoon was that they were running "sessions" (apparently these are standardised procedures they have to go through to fully diagnose the problem??), but it did look like a timing chain / tensioner problem.

If it is the chain / tensioner, my car will be in there for a good few more working days yet while they strip down my engine and replace the necessary parts.

As much as I want her fixed, I also really want to get rid of the 107 courtesy car they have given me!