What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Intermittent Rail P0087 Fuel Rail/System Pressure Too Low - Fixed

lucy.basten

Reaction score
Hi All,
Bit of useful information which may be useful to some people. I have spoken to Peugeot today and due to the common fault of the HPFP on the RCZ, as long as the car has done less than 60,000 miles or is less than 6 years old, they will replace the part for free and only charge for the labour on the car which is around £300. I am still awaiting my car back from the garage but will be taking the car to Peugeot if the pressure issue is still present.

thornebt

Reaction score
Peugeot are bringing the price down below the £600 figure commonly quoted but £300 labour is a bit steep. If I can replace it in two to three hours then I'm sure they can probably do the job in an hour and a half. It's one of those jobs that once you've done it is a lot easier the second time when you know what you're doing!

I guess I shouldn't knock Peugeot too much. As I said, they are making it more affordable.

lucy.basten

Reaction score
The £300 was for diagnostics and labour, just thought it might be useful for anyone not able to change the pump themselves with a suspected failing HFPF.

lucy.basten

Reaction score
@Pedro In a dream world they would honor that, there are certain fault codes that are required to be present in order to qualify for the replacement, If you have already replaced the pump then obviously the codes wouldn't be on the car so it probably wouldn't qualify. No harm in asking Peugeot I guess.

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi All,
Bit of useful information which may be useful to some people. I have spoken to Peugeot today and due to the common fault of the HPFP on the RCZ, as long as the car has done less than 60,000 miles or is less than 6 years old, they will replace the part for free and only charge for the labour on the car which is around £300. I am still awaiting my car back from the garage but will be taking the car to Peugeot if the pressure issue is still present.
£300 that’s not bad for 90 minutes work but obviously a lot lower than the silly figures some dealers are quoting thanks for sharing that 👍

DKZ5745

Reaction score
It appears, for some reason, that they seem to want to avoid replacing the HPFP. When mine went in for it doing, it ended being there for ever. They told me that there were NO HPFP’s in the country, and they had to wait for one to be imported which due to the Brexit shenanigans was delayed.
I did do a check myself & they appear to have been telling the truth (shock - headlines- dealer tells the truth!!!)
It might be that they don’t think they can get hold of one, or, and here is the cynical side of me creeping out, they might just want to replace any and every thing they possibly can before actually fixing the issue.
It’s hard to come to any other conclusion when you keep telling them it’s likely to be the HPFP & they say oh OK, we’re going to charge you for checking the ECU AGAIN anyway.
I have a feeling the is could have been resolved £££’s & weeks earlier if they had simply replaced the HPFP from the start.

Verminator

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes but do they get them in stock at £300 and just passing on the price to us via charge for labour

pete.garratt

Reaction score
P1338 Cylinder Misfire
P1340 Cam position sensor "B" circuit malfunction
P1336 Crank Cam sensor range
P0087 Fuel Rail
They may old stored codes from previous issues as for the fuel they need to take a freeze frame readings whilst the car is plugged into the scanner & in motion this will measure the high & low fuel trims for pressure from the pump to determine if the fuel pressure is dropping when the engine is under load this should determine if its the pump that's how I found out my HPFP was cooked & this test can save you money
Misinformation
P1336 - general misfire
P1337 - misfire on cylinder 1
P1338 - misfire on cylinder 2
P1339 - misfire on cylinder 3
P1340 - misfire on cylinder 4

These codes are manufacturer specific, so mean different things on different cars
They are also engine management system specific, so can mean different things on different engine set-ups from the same manufacturer.

Flanners

Reaction score
I thought those codes posted by Pete were well understood in the RCZ sphere that if you get those code/s then the hpfp was usually the culprit.

My own hpfp issue in 2019 threw up 3 of these codes together and no P0087 code (low fuel pressure), as I posted this week in another thread and both the RAC chap and then the MD stated it was probably the hpfp....it was. I have read that the RCZ has Peugeot codes that are specific for the THP as shown here: THP Error Code list

P1336Combustion misfiring on unspecified cylinders fault : Not characterised
P1337Misfiring fault on cylinders 1 : Not characterised
P1338Misfiring fault on cylinders 2 : Not characterised
P1339Misfiring fault on cylinders 3 : Not characterised
P1340Misfiring fault on cylinders 4 : Not characterised