What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Iced up rear spoiler

A

Anonymous

Does anyone defrost their rear spoiler when it's iced up? I usually dust off the snow lying on it, but this morning there was a crunchy snow layer underneath. Should I have tried to get that off? I didn't actually get to the dizzy speeds of 56mph today mind you - or should I say 'spinning' speeds - but just wondered if it would do the spoiler motor any good trying to raise itself when it can't (or would it stop trying?)........

A

Anonymous

Good point there Donna, if the wheels spin on snow or ice , they could reach the speed that activates the spoiler, which may be frozen or weighed down with snow & ice :eusa-think:

I don't think it would take a lot to get the front wheels to reach the minimum speed on snow or ice, which can't be good for the spoiler mechanism if ite weighed down or frozen stuck, perhaps there's an overload cutout of some sorts, Peugeot must of taken this into account when designing this spoiler feature. :eusa-think:

They advise not to operate the windows if they are frozen, but we cannot turn off the spoiler. :thumbdown:

A

Anonymous

jactac said:
They advise not to operate the windows if they are frozen, but we cannot turn off the spoiler. :thumbdown:

I know about the windows - had a right bugger of a job trying to get the car door open this morning - never again am I buying a car where the windows don't have a proper rim. Such a pain in the frosty mornings!

A

Anonymous

The motors will very likely be set up with a stall current (if the motors draw too much current by trying to exert too much force) cutoff.

It's an interesting note about the windows though, given that they HAVE to dip in order to get into the car.

A

Anonymous

I've had to pour warm water over the windows in the past just to gain access to the car, because you rightly state they need to "drop" to open the door.

A

Anonymous

Had the same problem with the A5. Doors with no pillars are a right royal pain in the ass. They drop slightly when you open door (if you can get it open) then with the frost they don't go up again, meaning the door doesn't shut, many a time I've went to work holding the door closed!!
As for the spoiler Donna, it will indeed have an overload power off switch, if its frozen solid that will cut in and it won't open. Be worse if it got stuck in the open position then have another night if frost and snow, you'd be there got hours getting it out lol
Have to say also, didn't have the RCZ long enough to experience the windows or spoiler sticking in winter conditions :)

A

Anonymous

2 words "LIMIT SENSORS".... :eusa-whistle: ;)..........Well a few more :lol: the spoiler will work on the same principle as "Anti Pinch Electric Windows"

A

Anonymous

I use Swissvax Seal Feed as it was developed exclusively for rubber and keeps rubber seals pliable for years. Even hardened seals become soft and flexible again after several applications. And it also reliably prevents seals from freezing on in the winter.

A

Anonymous

OO58RON said:
I use Swissvax Seal Feed as it was developed exclusively for rubber and keeps rubber seals pliable for years. Even hardened seals become soft and flexible again after several applications. And it also reliably prevents seals from freezing on in the winter.

"Spoiler issue" and not some snobby "Overpriced LUBE" frameless door seal issue :Just peer into most bedside cabinets and Grab some KY............... :LoL. And come to think of it you are a bit anal when it comes to things like this Ron............... :lol: :lol:

A

Anonymous

The point of mentioning this "snobby Overpriced LUBE" is that since applying to my boot and window seals, I have not had any issues with the glass freezing to the rubber seal, thus preventing the window from dropping and allowing the door to be opened. Nor has the boot lid been frozen shut. It is an inexpensive way to prevent the above.

A

Anonymous

OO58RON said:
The point of mentioning this "snobby Overpriced LUBE" is that since applying to my boot and window seals, I have not had any issues with the glass freezing to the rubber seal, thus preventing the window from dropping and allowing the door to be opened. Nor has the boot lid been frozen shut. It is an inexpensive way to prevent the above.

Niether have I and i go commando............. :lol:

Liked Very Much by "Jassyo06".............. :lol:

A

Anonymous

K-Y Jelly is a water-based, water-soluble personal lubricant............... :crazy:

Hardly the correct item to prevent freezing water and rubber !!!

Try using Vaseline. (Vaseline is a brand of petroleum jelly based products............)
BTW it may also be found in bedside cabinets :D

Happy hunting !

if not nick the Lip-seal from someone, its the same stuff !! :wtf:

A

Anonymous

WD40 on a tissue around the edge of the windows learned after years of BMW frameless windows in frost :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

paul141 said:
K-Y Jelly is a water-based, water-soluble personal lubricant............... :crazy:

Hardly the correct item to prevent freezing water and rubber !!!

Try using Vaseline. (Vaseline is a brand of petroleum jelly based products............)
BTW it may also be found in bedside cabinets :D

Happy hunting !

if not nick the Lip-seal from someone, its the same stuff !! :wtf:

A bit of spit and some good old elbow grease will always get past any resistance ;) :lol:

A

Anonymous

The problem i have had is the fuel filler flap freezing solid!!
The water collects around the base poor design.

A

Anonymous

mikeyv60 said:

Agreed it's not ideal, but if you open the boot (assuming it's not frozen too) you'll get better access to the filler cap and (hopefully) break the ice seal now that access is less restricted.

A

Anonymous

mikeyv60 said:
Use the Swissvax seal feed and it won't get frozen up. I use it on the boot seals too. I prefer to take this precaution than risk damaging frozen seals or glass by forcing something upon