What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

HOW TO: Remove the NG4 Satellite Navigation System

A

Anonymous

Hi all,
After installing my new Pure Highway 300Di this week I thought I'd stick this quick guide up on how to remove the NG4 Sat Nav headunit from the car as no matter how hard I tried I couldn't find one anywhere! (of course feel free to prove me wrong! ha ha) :D

I am aware of several cases of Peugeot dealers putting the frighteners on people looking to do this by saying that they have to remove large parts of the dashboard etc and when I called to try and find the part No. for a set of removal keys they said that they weren't aware of any which are available but that I could feel free to pop down to their workshop and have them remove it (probably for a 1/2 hrs worth of labour to boot).

Anyway the good news is that it really isn't all that difficult or frightening to do, takes around 5 minutes and the keys are readily and easily available (after finding the appropriate parts on Peugeot ServiceBox after about 30 seconds of looking - Cheers parts counter you useless, lying gits! ;) )

So... on to the actual procedure. You will need the following:

I. A T20 Torx Screwdriver.

II. 2x sets of Autoleads PC5-132 Stereo Removal Keys
They are marked as being for Mercedes but ignore that.
You can find them in Halfords for £4.99 a set but they can be found much cheaper on eBay etc. You will need the 4 keys however so make sure that you get 2 sets.

III. Your hands! ;)

==================================================================

1. Remove the ashtray

Pull the ashtray open and then depress the locking tab downwards (1). Once this tab is depressed slide the ashtray out towards you so that it comes clear of the dashboard (2).

2. Remove the storage tray

Pull the storage tray upwards so that it pops out (1) and then slide it out towards you so that it comes clear of the dashboard (2).

3. Remove the AC panel trim

Now that the storage tray is removed you will be able to see the diagnostics plug and 4 screws to the left and right of it. Take your T20 Torx screwdriver and remove screws marked (1) and (2) on the picture above. Next feel for the bottom right edge of the AC trim panel and pull it firmly towards you. This should unclip the trim panel leaving your dashboard looking like so:

4. Insert the stereo removal tools

Get your stereo removal keys and insert them into the horizontal slots marked (1), (2), (3) and (4). The keys need to be inserted with the straight edge facing outwards and the curved edge facing the centre of the stereo. Push them in until you hear a click.

5. Release the stereo

Grab the bottom left (1) and top right keys (2) and pull the stereo towards you. You should be able to clide the stereo clear of the dashboard. There are several looms lurking behind here so be careful as you slide it out as they're pretty tight. Firstly unclip the hazard loom. At the back of the connector you'll feel a push clip. Push it down and slide the locking tab to the right. This will pop the connector out. There is a similar blue connector to the left edge of the stereo. Remove the other connectors on the right hand side (they simply clip off) and then remove the large Quadlock connector on the left by pushing the clip on the bottom of the connector and lift the hinged arm outwards. This should release the last of the harness and enable you to completely remove the NG4 from the dash.

6. Remove the cage

If you want to remove the cage you can by unscrewing the T20 Torx screw (1) and push the silver locking tabs (2), (3), (4) and (5) inwards from the outside edge of the cage. This will enable you to slide the cage towards you and clear of the dashboard (6).

==================================================================

That's it! All done. :D

A

Anonymous

A detailed guide, thank you.

Next installment should be: "How to wire everything up with a new head unit and make it work" ;)

A

Anonymous

RCZ1 said:
Made it a "Sticky"

Good post.

Indeed, very good. Like removing door panels, it's easy to do IF, and only if, you've seen it once.

A

Anonymous

LUFC,

Nice post.

I went to have a Pure Highway installed when they first came out but the Halford chap had to give up because there wasn't enough windscreen estate that wasn't swept by the wipers for the original external Pure aerial. I now see that they don't sell the units with an aerial and you can add your own.

What option did you go for and do you have some pics of how/where you mounted both the aerial and the display?? What's the reception like with your aerial?

Have you used the FM pass through or the aux out to send the audio to the NG4?? Any pros and cons to either solution?? I know the aux video is shut off when driving, does this apply to the audio too?

Thanks in advance

Dave

hanswuk

Reaction score
As an alternative to doing the job properly and installing a DAB unit you can use your phone on bluetooth to receive any stations not on FM/MW via the internet. Obviously you have to have sufficient data allowance and the mobile signal can drop occasionally but for me it works pretty well.

I use a free app called TuneIn on which you can save favourites so it's quick and easy to swap stations. (Depending on your musical tastes try Radio Caroline and Radio Seagull).

A

Anonymous

Unfortunately you can't stream Bluetooth audio to an NG4 - a major limitation of the system

A

Anonymous

eyetiepie said:
LUFC,

Nice post.

I went to have a Pure Highway installed when they first came out but the Halford chap had to give up because there wasn't enough windscreen estate that wasn't swept by the wipers for the original external Pure aerial. I now see that they don't sell the units with an aerial and you can add your own.

What option did you go for and do you have some pics of how/where you mounted both the aerial and the display?? What's the reception like with your aerial?

Have you used the FM pass through or the aux out to send the audio to the NG4?? Any pros and cons to either solution?? I know the aux video is shut off when driving, does this apply to the audio too?

Thanks in advance

Dave
Hi Dave,
In the end I went for a film-based antenna as I've used these in previous cars when I've fitted DAB to them and found that they work well. The one I have is an Autoleads DAB-AA1 which has the required SMB connector for fitting to the control unit of the Pure. It is also a power-amplified antenna so it boosts the signal it receives too. Since fitting I've not had anything less than a full-strength signal showing on the Pure which is pretty good considering where I am isn't great for DAB and reception has traditionally been average at best! :thumbup:

I've mounted it on the passenger side of the windscreen which is a fairly easy thing to do. Pop the trim off the end of the dashboard (just get hold of the edge of the panel, give it a firm tug and it pops off) the then do the same with the A-pillar trim. Mount the antenna sticking the copper earthing strip to the metal surround of the windscreen
and then run the antenna and +12v cables down alongside the existing wiring loom with some cable-ties. Feed it down the back of the dash and run it alongside the fusebox looms and behind the centre console which is where I have the control box located. I've got the +12v cable hooked into the switched ignition wire so that it's only powered when the car is. To be honest though I suspect that if you didn't want to connect the +12v cable then you probably could get away with it in better areas as when I did a rough fit to check the signal it was still pretty good when it wasn't powered (and as I said earlier DAB reception traditionally isn't great where I am).

I've mounted the display unit on the dash so it's up alongside the rev counter. At first glance you might think the wheel gets in the way but from where I'm sat it's actually OK and you get a good view of the display. It also has the advantage that it's close to hand so it's pretty easy to change the station over when you fancy. Where I've sited it means it's not blocking / restricting any other controls either which was an initial concern as there's not really that much room on the RCZ dash which affords you to mount it both somewhere that is convenient and somewhere that doesn't involve an ugly black wire trailing across the dashboard. Speaking of the cable from the control box to the display unit, what I've done is looped it over the back the cradle as designed and then run it down alongside the steering cowling and tie-wrapped it to the aux/GPS/FM/TMC receiver looms, down the back of the stereo and down to the control box. As the display cradle is quite close to the cowling it minimises the run of the wire and hides away quite nicely all things considered. :thumbup:

As far as connection to the NG4 goes I've used the Line Out from the control box to the glovebox aux in. There were several reasons I did it this way. Firstly the sound quality is better over the line out than over the FM pass-through connector but the big reason for me was that to use the FM pass-through would require more adapters to convert the FM-Passthrough lead to a Phantom connection so that it would interface with the NG4 antenna in. The final reason is that using FM passthrough would cause the unit to behave like the portable solutions where it needs to be tuned in to an FM station preset and used this way whereas by using the aux in the device has it's own dedicated function under Media > External Device (Aux) which I prefer. As far as the lead goes, there's a handy little hole in the roof of the box between the fusebox and air-con vent which is just big enough to feed the Aux 3.5mm and Line in cables through. The USB is routed to the Fusebox and hidden in there as I have no use for it other than for firmware updates etc. All three cables are wrapped together, run alongside the existing looms and behind the centre console and down to the control unit as per the picture below. If I do need the USB to be accessible at some point I'll just pop the Aux port box off, dremel a small hole below it and feed the cable through but for the time being I don't need it cluttering up what little space there already is in there! :lol:

Using the Aux-in for audio works fine whilst driving etc - although I have toggled the setting in Media > Auxiliary Management (Aux-in) to 'Audio Only' as opposed to Audio + Video which it is defaulted to. Whether leaving it on the default setting would cause it to cut out when driving I'm not too sure as I never tested it - next time I'm out though I'll toggle it back over and see how it behaves. :)

I hope that helps - if you've any further questions just pop them below. :thumbup: :D

A

Anonymous

Lufc,

As jatac said, that's a great informative post. Think I'll go ahead with it for a second time (a nice win on the national yesterday will pay for it :)

Thanks

Dave

Greek-R

Reaction score
where are the images stored on this forum? most old threads have broken image links making them useless. :(

Robi

Reaction score
Great post but unfortunately unable to see the images,,,😞
as they have a red ❌ through them