What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

How to : Remove Door Sill Plate

A

Anonymous

Hi,

does anyone has the instruction on how to remove the Door Sill Plate of an RCZ.
Just want to make sure how to do it, before starting this job.

Thanks for your reply.
Dafoto

Abzynthe

Reaction score
Im not 100%, but I think they are just push clips, so you should be able to just pull them off.
See pic from service box :)

Attachments

• sill.jpg
    sill.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 3,523
A

Anonymous

Abz,
how do you get these pics. :eusa-think:
I tried joining service box, but it asked if I was a company and wanted a fee :roll:

A

Anonymous

Dafoto said:
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.
Dafoto

If you mean the "chrome Peugeot" plate #10, I think it is stuck down with an adhesive tape.

Abzynthe

Reaction score
jactac said:
Abz,
how do you get these pics. :eusa-think:
I tried joining service box, but it asked if I was a company and wanted a fee :roll:

Thats odd :S

Ill PM you :)

A

Anonymous

jactac said:
Dafoto said:
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.
Dafoto

If you mean the "chrome Peugeot" plate #10, I think it is stuck down with an adhesive tape.

Indeed it are the chrome plates #10.
It seems that they are stuck with tape, I tried yesterday to remove it, but I had to pull very hard.
So I stopped before damaging anything.
I was wondering if Peugeot removes these plates with a special tool (may be mentioned in the Peugeot manual).

Kind Regards,
Danny

A

Anonymous

Bit of a tricky one really.
You dont want to put too much force behind it as it will bend and go out of shape.
Like Abz says I would use something like an hairdryer, personally I think a heat gun may be too hot, they are designed to heat up paint ect so that it can be scrapped away.
I've removed badges using a hairdryer, it can be a bit slow but in the end the adhesive does start to soften up.

You will need to replace the adhesive tape when re-assembling, trick is not to get a tape that is too thick, otherwise the plate will sit too high on the sill when you put it back on.

I would of thought that this particular part, if removed by the dealer was probably replaced by a new one, as it would be time consuming trying to remove the original in tact :eusa-think:

Can I ask why you are taking it off :?:
When I first had my Z, I covered both sills with clear vinyl to protect the paint and the chrome Peugeot plate from scuff's ect.
You cant notice the vinyl unless it's pointed out.

Part number for the standard chrome Peugeot side sill moulding #10, is : 7010 W1
Asphalt has a different part number.

A

Anonymous

jactac said:
Bit of a tricky one really.
You dont want to put too much force behind it as it will bend and go out of shape.
Like Abz says I would use something like an hairdryer, personally I think a heat gun may be too hot, they are designed to heat up paint ect so that it can be scrapped away.
I've removed badges using a hairdryer, it can be a bit slow but in the end the adhesive does start to soften up.

You will need to replace the adhesive tape when re-assembling, trick is not to get a tape that is too thick, otherwise the plate will sit too high on the sill when you put it back on.

I would of thought that this particular part, if removed by the dealer was probably replaced by a new one, as it would be time consuming trying to remove the original in tact :eusa-think:

Can I ask why you are taking it off :?:
It is damaged. Normally the replacement will be done via Peugeot, but I'm so scared they will damage my baby.
When I first had my Z, I covered both sills with clear vinyl to protect the paint and the chrome Peugeot plate from scuff's ect.
You cant notice the vinyl unless it's pointed out.
We were thinking of doing this also.

Part number for the standard chrome Peugeot side sill moulding #10, is : 7010 W1
Asphalt has a different part number.

A

Anonymous

I would suggest that it is a job that a confident DIYer could undertake, I would certainly take it on myself.

You could protect the surrounding area with masking tape, to keep the paintwork protected, then gently warm the plate whilst slowing praising it off whith a flat scraper or blade.
A flexible putty/filler knife from B&Q or likewise would be ideal, it has a super thin but strong flexible blade, and would only cost a couple of pounds.
The masking tape would also protect the paint from the scraper/blade, or what ever you use.
Once the plate has started to come up it will probably lift easily, the trick is to start off gently on one edge/corner.

Once it's up, clean off any left over adhesive with something like WD40.
I would imagine the new plate will have a peel off double side adhesive tape already on the back ready to just replace.

Replace the new plate lining it up in one corner or edge.
You will need a steady hand putting the new plate back because it will probably have a high tack adhesive backing already on the plate, so once you place it down it will probably stick straight away.

DONT RUSH IT, GIVE YOURSELF TIME.
All will be fine, afterall you will probably look after your own car far better than any dealer will :thumbup:

PS.
I purchased the clear vinyl off Ebay, it comes on rolls various sizes, you just lay it on, trim out the shape you want, it instantly sticks but is easy to peel off.

A

Anonymous

This is what I used as a sill protector.
If I remember correctly it cost around £15 for a 4 metre, 6" roll, which is wide enough to cover the sill, and enough do to both sides.

Attachments

• PICT2134.JPG
    PICT2134.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 3,467
A

Anonymous

jactac said:
I would suggest that it is a job that a confident DIYer could undertake, I would certainly take it on myself.OK I just removed it myself.

You could protect the surrounding area with masking tape, to keep the paintwork protected, then gently warm the plate whilst slowing praising it off whith a flat scraper or blade.
The masking tape would also protect the paint from the scraper/blade, or what ever you use.
Once the plate has started to come up it will probably lift easily, the trick is to start off gently on one edge/corner.
I taped the surrounding to make sure not to make any scratches. I bought myself a plastic toolkit (to remove doorclips and so - it come with 5 different tools). Then I gently pushed the tool under the plate and it came loose a little bit so I could lift it up. Work my way from the letter T to the letter P.

Once it's up, clean off any left over adhesive with something like WD40.
I would imagine the new plate will have a peel off double side adhesive tape already on the back ready to just replace.
The installation will be done by Peugeot, so they can remove the remainings of the tape. :clap:

Replace the new plate lining it up in one corner or edge.
You will need a steady hand putting the new plate back because it will probably have a high tack adhesive backing so once you place it down it will probably stick straight away.
I will keep a close eye on the installation and if needed I will do it myself.

DONT RUSH IT, GIVE YOURSELF TIME.
All will be fine, afterall you will probably look after your own car far better than any dealer will :thumbup:

PS.
I purchased the clear vinyl off Ebay, it comes on rolls various sizes, you just lay it on, trim out the shape you want, it instantly sticks but is easy to peel off.
Thanks for the tip

I love this forum :greetings-wavingblue:
Sorry for possible typos but English is not my mother language.

A

Anonymous

You've done the hard bit, well done, :clap:
So why not go all the way and finish it off. :eusa-think:
All you need to do is clean off the remaining adhesive and drop in the new plate, it will already have the sticky backing on it I would imagine.
You have the part number, so go on, go for it :dance:

You will save some money and stand there all proud thinking "I did that" :thumbup: :clap: