What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Heater hose popped off bulkhead fitting

RCZKam

Reaction score
Replaced my thermostat after receiving the correct one finally on the third time trying, but I don‘t think it’s opening, whilst stationary car got upto temp, was fully bled and hot air coming through cabin

Went for quick drive around block came back still all the same, only thing was I never heard my fan and lower radiator hose was not cold but certainly not lukewarm, top hose was warmish

Today took a little further (not much) but once upto temperature parked up and had mild smoke coming up under bonnet, checked and half my coolant was gone but the smoke/steam was coming from near battery/thermostat way plus a sizzling sound I presumed at this point my thermostat hadn’t opened so topped up coolant after cooling down and headed back home.

Few minutes from home the temperature reading started climbing above 90 (first time its ever done that) got to near 100/105 and I was home, again mild steam coming from thermo end so had a look and popped off some hoses and found this

IMG_0977.jpeg

The heater hose to the inlet for the matrix was off

If my thermostat for whatever reason wasn’t opening I take it whichever hose connection is the weakest one would pop off first?

Can you run without a thermostat? As I’m getting cheesed off with this now I’m wondering if I can butcher it out!
:(

RCZKam

Reaction score
Sorry it’s a 2012 156 auto

Thermostat and wiring loom both from eBay (part numbers and differences were checked with main dealer when I popped in to see them first)

Also what temperature does the thermostat open at? I thought 90 as per running temperature on dash but I’m sure I kept seeing 105 on some of the thermostats I had before (I think on this one as well?)

Mikefrank

Reaction score
Matrix can be troublesome on them where they can block up and need flushing or replacement as the heaters in mine were terrible (Cold)….
My temp doesnt move off 90…
Would a pressure build up cause it to pop off?….

RCZKam

Reaction score
Those plastic collar clips on the heater hoses are not exactly brilliant but still…

I’ve replaced new thermostat, rear water pipe, matrix and water pump. Radiator has been out and flushed and reverse flushed all in one job

I just can’t understand why the thermostat isn’t opening unless it’s a cheap duff one from eBay

Might have to bite the bullet and get main dealer thermostat and loom now

Last edited:

Pedro

Reaction score
Replaced my thermostat after receiving the correct one finally on the third time trying, but I don‘t think it’s opening, whilst stationary car got upto temp, was fully bled and hot air coming through cabin

Went for quick drive around block came back still all the same, only thing was I never heard my fan and lower radiator hose was not cold but certainly not lukewarm, top hose was warmish

Today took a little further (not much) but once upto temperature parked up and had mild smoke coming up under bonnet, checked and half my coolant was gone but the smoke/steam was coming from near battery/thermostat way plus a sizzling sound I presumed at this point my thermostat hadn’t opened so topped up coolant after cooling down and headed back home.

Few minutes from home the temperature reading started climbing above 90 (first time its ever done that) got to near 100/105 and I was home, again mild steam coming from thermo end so had a look and popped off some hoses and found this

View attachment 14398

The heater hose to the inlet for the matrix was off

If my thermostat for whatever reason wasn’t opening I take it whichever hose connection is the weakest one would pop off first?

Can you run without a thermostat? As I’m getting cheesed off with this now I’m wondering if I can butcher it out!
:(
The thermostat is electronically controlled from the ECU & normal temp is in range when it reaches 90-105 so yours appears to be working as normal as the fan is off & running temp seems normal air locks are the one to watch out for as Peugeot will leave the cars out overnight after changing these tanks to let the system bleed out I can only think the reason the hose blew off was someone has been there before you & poss. damaged the fitting as its rare for a hose just to blow itself off without any splits etc

RCZKam

Reaction score
I’ve seen from a previous receipt the thermostat and loom was replaced by the previous owner a year before I bought it, if it hasn’t been all been put together properly I’m surprised it has lasted nearly two years before popping off

But they wouldn’t even be taking that connection hose (with the pressure relief valve) off anyway

Can anyone confirm it’s on the right fitting i.e the pressure relief hose goes on the top one of the bulkhead fitting?

Also can anyone here check the correct part number for both thermostat and loom if I give the chassis number?

Thanks

RCZKam

Reaction score
Picked up a clamp for the heater hose, lost faith in the original black plastic collar, this one is on solid

IMG_1016.jpeg

Also got main dealer thermostat and wiring loom, all in and car seems to be running temps ok so we’ll see

Hopefully it will last longer than your OEM one Pedro o_O