What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Head Gasket cost?

A

Anonymous

Think I've bought a wrong 'un!

Only had the car about 3 months, and not driven it that much as I've been working away from home and using a hire car.

Car has been sat in the dealers for a couple of months and then outside my house for the last 4 weeks. Notice a bit of white smoke earlier when I took it out, so had a look at the oil cap. Not much to see, but there's definately a bit of mayonaise.

Car is a 2011 200 and only has 24K on the clock !

So, just how expense a job is it, and is it worth a call to the dealer? I was so keen to buy I didn't ask about the warantee terms, although I'm hoping there a legal minimum??

tianorth

Reaction score
The mayonnaise is probably from the cold weather and short journeys.
Take it for a decent run where oil can get upto proper temperature and sustainable to allow any water vapour to be "burnt off".

If your not losing any coolant or oil I doubt it's head gasket.

2retro

Reaction score
Sounds hopeful! :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

I was thinking the same Chris, until I saw some horror stories on here!

I'll clean it off and take it for a run tomorrow. I'll also go and check the coolant levels right now !

tianorth said:
The mayonnaise is probably from the cold weather and short journeys.
Take it for a decent run where oil can get upto proper temperature and sustainable to allow any water vapour to be "burnt off".

If your not losing any coolant or oil I doubt it's head gasket.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
I agree with Chris, but I would also be making that call to the dealer and voicing your concerns. Look at the warranty paperwork, or ask the dealer - it's the kind of thing that should be covered, but as we all know, if there is a way out, most companies will try to find it.

CircuitMonkey

Reaction score
It was my understanding that if the car is under 6 months old any problems that occur in this time are deemed an to be a problem with the car when it was sold and the onus is on the dealer to refund, repair or replace the vehicle regardless of the warranty.

pete.garratt

Reaction score
CircuitMonkey said:
It was my understanding that if the car is under 6 months old any problems that occur in this time are deemed an to be a problem with the car when it was sold and the onus is on the dealer to refund, repair or replace the vehicle regardless of the warranty.

The 6 months is true for goods and services sold as new. For used items, the 6 months does not apply. Each claim will be treated on its merits with diminishing degrees of recompense as time goes by. I think the Sale of Goods and Services Act puts a time limit of 6 years for making claims under its arrangements.